serious static !

snap, crackle and pop
klipper

serious static !

Post by klipper » 11 Feb 2019 19:39

hello all. the other day my wife went to turn over an lp we were listening to and there was a pretty powerful charge of static electricity. i have the uncle milti antistatic gun and record doctor antistatic brush which i use. never experienced this before . any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. thank you, bill :D

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: serious static !

Post by Alec124c41 » 11 Feb 2019 20:25

A humidifier would Help. It's that time of year.
That static charge probably came from you walking over to the turntable.

Cheers,
Alec

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 11 Feb 2019 21:08

Really dry, cold weather seems to do that to me but since I live near Vancouver, those conditions don't occur that often. There was once an occasion, when I too went to remove an LP from the platter and the (felt?) mat lifted off with it - stuck together surface to surface.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 12 Feb 2019 02:27

As Alec said often you build up and carry the charge over to the electronics by walking across the room. The winter air is so dry from heating that it promotes this static buildup. One thing that I found helps is to create a "Touch Point" near the stereo system made of a small piece of copper (circuit board, copper flashing, copper shielding tape) with a wire soldered to it that is connected to a ground such as the screw that holds on the electrical outlet plate, or the grounding terminal on the back of your preamp - BUT with a one to two megohm resistor in series with that wire. Then as you walk up to the turntable you just touch the "Touch Point" before you touch anything else and the static is drained safely away. The high value resistor limits current so there is no ouch-spark flying from your fingertip and just a non-eventful draining away of the static from your body.