Dual 502 channel imbalance..

snap, crackle and pop
Iloveali

Dual 502 channel imbalance..

Post by Iloveali » 11 Feb 2019 17:26

Hello, so I aquirred a dual 502 on a trade with a shure m95ed cartridge (aftermarket stylus) of the cheap variety. When i first hooked up table, the left channel was super super weak, barley anything came out. So I opened the table, and unplugged RCA cabels, and deoxited the inputs under the dual, made somewhat of a difference, still the left was really weak. The dual 502 sled has the round pins rather than the prong style. Cleaned the pins. Still not much better, so I just went and bought a new set of actual RCA GOLD platted cords, and it made a huge difference. But the left channel is still noticably weak. So i swapped out the 502 for my 510, and the shure m95ed, the left channel is still weaker, so I tried my atx1201 cart and it was so close to being even. So to the 502 what can be done, should just sell the table, but I know something's up with it. As to the shure, would the imbalance come from the cartridge or stylus? I want to get a bliss stylus for it, 30 buck, but want to make sure the cart isn't damaged. How could I do this? Swap L and R rca at phono junction? Playing through sx 780. That to my knowledge is functioning properly.

toaster999
Great Britain

Re: Dual 502 channel imbalance..

Post by toaster999 » 12 Feb 2019 13:53

Do you've tried the atx1201 on the 502?

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Dual 502 channel imbalance..

Post by jdjohn » 12 Feb 2019 22:03

Seems to me the trouble is with the M95ED (or stylus), not the turntable. Since the imbalance followed from the 502 to the 510 when you moved the M95ED, that points to the cartridge or stylus. Or the problem could still be in the cartridge 'sled' if you moved that between headshells with the cartridge still attached.

You can check the cartridge by testing DC continuity between the pins. The measurement between the red and green pins should be close to the measurement between the white and blue pins. They will not likely be identical, but should be close. Set the meter to the 2,000 range for testing.