Dual 1225 questions

twice the fun
keoki82

Dual 1225 questions

Post by keoki82 » 11 Feb 2019 07:39

I'm hoping there's some Dual experts around here. I inherited a Dual 1225 and it sounds great, but when the two transport screws are disengaged and the unit is allowed to suspend on springs, the turntable is not level and the backside of the plinth is slightly raised (when viewed from a seated position across the room, the table appears to be angled slightly forward). Is this normal operation? The turntable is level on the horizontal plane (left to right), just not vertical (front to back). Will this cause excessive wear to records? It seems to track fine.

It's got the original Dual headshell and is equipped with an ADC QLM 36 Mk III cartridge/stylus. This cartridge is excellent value for the money. I compared to my Rega P3-2000 with an Ortofon Rondo Red moving coil, and I'd say the Dual/QLM gets 80% there at a fraction of the cost. It's detailed, it's warm, it's musical; it just lacks a little transparency and "air". I was pleasantly surprised, and certainly impressed that an automatic changer can sound this good in a modern hifi system.

I removed the cartridge to check the alignment and I noticed that it was screwed all the way forward in the two sockets. The front tip of the stylus is positioned about 2 mm back from the front edge of the headshell. Is this OK?

I should have read the owner's manual before I started tinkering. I was concerned about the table's angle and to my embarrassment I assumed the pitch calibration screw was one of the transit screws, so I began loosening it, hoping that it would raise the front of the plinth. I kept turning it until I heard a part fall into the chassis below. Now the pitch is completely off and the table plays fast. I moved the main pitch dial to its slowest position and it seems to be fine, but I don't like using an extreme setting to achieve the correct speed.

I removed the table from its chassis to see what fell into the bottom and it was a tiny little black washer which now appears bent and I can't seem to get it back on. Is this something I can fix myself or should I take the unit to the repair shop for this problem?

This turntable probably needs a good clean and lube. It was fine for the first few days but now the automatic start function doesn't work. Now when I engage the start lever, the arm lifts in place but then sets back down and shuts off, rather than moving to the beginning edge of the record. It sill completes the end cycle fine (if I use the cue lever to manually start playback). Stacking cycles worked for a while longer but now that's off too. Also, this table probably needs a new capacitor somewhere because the unit pops through the speakers when it shuts off.

Any comments welcome. Thanks.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Dual 1225 questions

Post by musicmn » 11 Feb 2019 17:29

Hi, I have serviced quite a few 1225's over the last couple of years and they are a very nice little turntables. The good news is that they are a lot easier to service then the 1219 or the 1229. But they seem to me to be a bit finicky to get adjusted correctly once a complete service is done. You are correct in thinking that it is time for a good servicing on this turntable. Dual's are very well known for old dried up lubricants in the mechanism and the motors. And a rubber piece called a steuerpimple which helps the tonearm move from the rest stand to the record and back to the rest stand at the end of a record needs to be replaced. Once serviced these turntables will run for another 40 yrs barring any unforeseen damage. Another nice thing is that you have a lot of very qualified people on this site that can help you along in the dual sub forum. And both the service manual and owners manuals are available here. Another good source of information is a member named dualcan on the dual sub forum on this site. There you will find hundreds of post by him regarding every model of turntable dual ever made. And if you go to his web site dualcan.com you will find a tutorial showing how to service this model. Just look for the one marked 1228 restoration it is for the most parts the same as your 1225 turntable. One thing to note when you ask question in the dual sub forum put down any and all part numbers that you find in the service manual. It just makes it easier to under stand where the problem is you are having. Some of these mechanisms have over a 100 parts that why a part number is needed. As for your question on the plinth it could be that the springs are just getting old or if they were compressed for a long time they just may need to settle again. Either way it will not effect the wear and tear on your records. The little washer you are talking about I believe is suppose to be bent to act as spring. I also believe a small black plastic gear is associated with this washer but you need to check the exploded view of the service manual to verify that. So number one check out the dual sub forum there's a lot of great info there that should help you along. Number two read the owners manual and service manual so you can better under stand how these turntables work. And finally if you decide to service this turntable your self check out dualcans web site. I hope this helps.

keoki82

Post by keoki82 » 11 Feb 2019 17:46

Thanks musicmn, I appreciate the reply. I'll check out the Dual sub forum. Looking forward to getting this table running right. It's a fun unit and the changer mechanism is super gentle.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 11 Feb 2019 21:12

The plinth is not level? Any of those tack on bumper feet missing?

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 11 Feb 2019 23:05

Leveling is not absolutely critical on a Dual since its tonearm is dynamically balanced, that is, tracking force is applied through a spring pressing the arm downwards with requisite force, the arm thus being able to track a record even when not completely level (if I'm not mistaken Dual demonstrated this ability by mounting a turntable in a gyroscope and having it play upside down!). Getting it level would of course be a good idea anyway, even if only for cosmetic reasons.

Now, I had this same problem on a Garrard SP25, and solved it by simply stretching one of the springs a tiny bit so that the turntable sat level. I suppose you could do the same on your Dual, but I think our expert dualcan has advised against this procedure on Dual turntables, so best to ask in the Dual subforum first. There you will also be able to get advice on solving the other issues you have.

The Dual 1225 is a very nice little turntable and worth fixing up. I use one as my main turntable!

windywatchguy

Post by windywatchguy » 04 Mar 2019 23:17

Good advice from those above...stretching the springs as needed to raise the corner that is low is the best method and quite simple. The part that dropped should be shown in the manual. That pitch control will need to be in place to fine tune the speed. Gross adjustments can be made at the idler pulley. I just finished going on and on in another thread about not getting all caught up in worrying about taking everything apart and finding the Dual recommended grease. Take apart as needed, clean off old grease. It's a little odd about the tone arm moving at first but not working now, but if the table sat for decades, my theory is: The glider/steuerpimpel hardened over time, and when you began using it again, it was in place but brittle. It quickly cracked and fell off. You should have noticed pieces of it on under the plinth or it could still be clinging to the post. You'll need a new one. That should be the only part you need.