Systemdek iix. How delicate is the mechanism?

snap, crackle and pop
misterdonlucas
England

Systemdek iix. How delicate is the mechanism?

Post by misterdonlucas » 21 Jan 2019 17:27

Dear audiophile brothers - I wonder if someone may be able to shed some light.

I was lucky enough to pick one of these babies (Systemdex IIX) in absolute NM condition.

Prior to collection I had to find what size TRANSPORT SCREW (apparently only one needed) it takes. (which according to our kind friends at AudioNote here in the UK are suppposed to be M4 By 30).

QUESTIONS.

1) Correct screw size? It didn't quite tight-thread into the hole to the right of the platter. It sort of went in almost unaided. IS THIS SUPPPOSED TO BE SO? Was i 'inserting' the screw in the CORRECT HOLE?

2) In taking extra care, as a last minute decision I had to pay for a taxi for a 60 mile ride, to get baby home safe. Wrapped it up in bubblewrap , no box, and had it on my winter jacket, on my legs for the duration. I WAS VERY CAREFUL BUT THERE WAS STILL SOME JOLTING AND ROCKING IN THE CAR. I Could hear the inside mechanism move a bit at times.

DO YOU THINK THAT, DESPITE ALL CARE TAKEN IT WILL HAVE SUSTAINED DAMAGE OF SOME SORT? IMF SO WHAT KIND OF THING SHOULD I BE LOOKING AT? or does it really need proper maltreatment for bad things to happen? In other words how sensitive is it? The movement it went through was minimal. 3-4 on a scale of 1-10 , and a couple of , brief jolts at maybe a 7 on the same scale. In any event, why could i still hear the inside move when i had inserted the transit screw prior to transporting it?

I am so happy for having it here now and would be grateful for any advise or peace of mind.

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Re: Systemdek iix. How delicate is the mechanism?

Post by abril » 21 Jan 2019 19:17

1) Correct screw size? It didn't quite tight-thread into the hole to the right of the platter. It sort of went in almost unaided. IS THIS SUPPPOSED TO BE SO?
No
Not sure what the thread size is now,(I doubt very much it is metric :!: not on a UK manufactured turntable from the eighties) but I've had a couple of 11X900's in the past.

To some degree I have to ask ,did you remove the platter while it was being transported?
Always remove the platter and the counterweight on the tonearm when transporting.
I suspect it will actually be OK though.

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 21 Jan 2019 19:18

They are fairly robust if you remove the glass platter and tonearm counterweight to stop them flying around smashing everything to pieces in transit #-o

As long as nothing got bashed and the springs bounce back you should be fine.

Here's one that was badly packed and handed to parcelforce to kick around...platter smashed, lid smashed, tonearm damaged etc and written off.
systemdek_iix_how_not_to_pack.jpg
(160.11 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

misterdonlucas
England

Post by misterdonlucas » 22 Jan 2019 12:19

abril wrote:
21 Jan 2019 19:17
1) Correct screw size? It didn't quite tight-thread into the hole to the right of the platter. It sort of went in almost unaided. IS THIS SUPPPOSED TO BE SO?
No
Not sure what the thread size is now,(I doubt very much it is metric :!: not on a UK manufactured turntable from the eighties) but I've had a couple of 11X900's in the past.

To some degree I have to ask ,did you remove the platter while it was being transported?
Always remove the platter and the counterweight on the tonearm when transporting.
I suspect it will actually be OK though.
Oh Blimey, well, first and foremost THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY... ok....YES i removed the platter and wrapped it around in towels and bubblewrap, separately. , like a newborn ,,,,, BUT NOT the counterweight, although the arm was secured. IS THIS A BAD?
I can't believe i was told this was the correct screw size,,,

misterdonlucas
England

Post by misterdonlucas » 22 Jan 2019 12:21

JaS wrote:
21 Jan 2019 19:18
They are fairly robust if you remove the glass platter and tonearm counterweight to stop them flying around smashing everything to pieces in transit #-o

Here's one that was badly packed and handed to parcelforce to kick around...platter smashed, lid smashed, tonearm damaged etc and written off.

THANKS KINDLY for replying, although , as we can see from other comments on here the screw doesn't seem to have been the right one///// Even then Your comment is comforting.

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 22 Jan 2019 15:34

Good to know everything appears to be OK,the most likely result of not removing the counterweight is a drooping rear stub.
What tonearm is it?
Any questions about your Systemdek I'm sure will be happily answered but I suggest you would be better off posting them in the Systemdek forum where you are more likely to get a much more knowledgeable answer from owners and previous owners.

PS
Good to get an answer,congrats on getting a decent turntable =D>
PPS
Amazed Audionote suggested M4 :?

misterdonlucas
England

Post by misterdonlucas » 22 Jan 2019 18:05

JaS wrote:
21 Jan 2019 19:18

I DO HOPE PARCELFORCE Owned Up.

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 22 Jan 2019 18:33

I DO HOPE PARCELFORCE Owned Up
I do hope the SENDER owned up - totally inadequate packing for a turntable.

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 22 Jan 2019 19:42

I think Paypal paid up, but it was a while ago? Pretty disappointing though when a parcel is handed over and you can hear the broken glass/plastic and metal sloshing around inside :)

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 23 Jan 2019 02:04

Yes, JaS, the very thing which automatically makes me cringe and very unhappy. As I know hearing those sounds, that package got damaged in shipping.