Technics Q SL-303 refurbishing question

turning japanese
MAVY
Poland

Technics Q SL-303 refurbishing question

Post by MAVY » 21 Jan 2019 16:17

Greetings to all:
New here. Resurrected this TT from my mother's in law. Had been there since 1983 or so. Has not seen any use since at least 20 years. I bought it and installed it myself at that time in a NAD system. Well, brought it home, installed a clearaudio performer v2 wood MM cartridge , and a NAD PP2i phono stage, -both in loan from friends- and it really works and sounds very good. I used to have a Linn Sondek 20 years ago but I cannot make a comparison soundwise. I know the Linn is a much better TT. So after cleaning a few LP's that I still have and spinning them, a nice surprise. Very smooth and musical sound.

So 2 questions regarding refurbishing:

1. Oil replenishing: Removed the mat, but I cannot remove the turntable platter itself after grasping the 2 holes on top, it seems that is stuck, or maybe I am doing something wrong, or is not supposed to be removed like that.
2. The on/off switch is not really ok. I push it and the TT rotates for a while until the switch comes up again on its own. I had to insert a piece of paper along the side to keep it down. It is not engaged as it should be.

Has anyone has encountered similar issues and fixed them?

Thanks!

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Technics Q SL-303 refurbishing question

Post by jdjohn » 21 Jan 2019 19:02

Hi, and welcome!

You're on the right track trying to remove the platter. Using a screwdriver handle, tap the spindle all around on the sides to free it from probable corrosion, which is likely causing it to stick. Then give a swift upward tug with your finger/thumb in those holes.

For the on/off switch, you can spray some plastic-safe cleaner (even contact cleaner) into the switch crevices, and then work the switch repeatedly (w/ power off). You might need to do it from underneath as well, which means you'll have to remove the bottom cover. But since you'll already have the platter removed, this shouldn't be too difficult. Of course secure the tonearm first. If it has the dustcover, you can rest it on that once inverted.

MAVY
Poland

Re: Technics Q SL-303 refurbishing question

Post by MAVY » 23 Jan 2019 01:33

Thanks a lot. Done. That NAD pp 2i is something! Very smooth sounding without loosing detail. It loaned so I am looking at the Lounge mk3 phono stage if I decide to keep going on with vinyl.