I hope I'll be happy

snap, crackle and pop
Bob257
United States of America

I hope I'll be happy

Post by Bob257 » 20 Jan 2019 18:06

I've decided I'll upgrade my TT. I'll be moving from my Technics SL-D20 with the Audio-Technica ST450 cartridge to a Rega P6 with the Exact cartridge for now. I can upgrade later to a MC preamp and Ania cartridge when money becomes available again! I might try the P3 but it only has the Elyse cartridge. I was able to hear improvement, especially with female voices (Agnes Obel). What are your thoughts?

Vinylfreak86

Re: I hope I'll be happy

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 20 Jan 2019 18:25

SL-D20 is not the best DD model from Technics, because of it`s cheaper P-mount tonearm. In terms of drive is Rega P6 on the lower level like your old turntable. But it has a better tonearm. So it is hard to say. But in terms of durabilty, I bet that SL-D20 will still work in 20 years from now but Rega will end in a dumpster in that time.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 20 Jan 2019 20:17

I have to interject that I have a 40-year-old Rega Planar 2, that still works.

Cheers,
Alec

DeepEnd
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by DeepEnd » 21 Jan 2019 07:14

I would think that a Rega dealer would demo a P3 vs P6 vs your own deck so you can make your own mind up. Trust your own ears. You could have the Exact (or Goldring, AT, Nagaoka, Denon etc.) fitted to a P3 as the unit is more than capable of allowing better cartridges to show what they can do.

The P3 is a very capable deck - mine ran for 30+ years with only a few belt changes and occasional relub (about a 10 minute job) and I expect it to run for another 30 years. The only reason it’s not in use now is I now have a RP8.

If any part of the Rega fails I could get replacement parts easily.

Technics do make well engineered decks but I would not argue that their lifespan was any better than a Rega.

Bob257
United States of America

Post by Bob257 » 21 Jan 2019 16:22

Vinylfreak 86,
I'm surprised to hear someone refer to the P6 as entry level. I guess it's all relative to what you're already listening to. For me, where money is always an issue, the P6 would be an upgrade. It sounds like you've had issues with Rega? What kind of issues? What TT do you use and/or, what would you suggest that would be in the same price range as the P6?
DeepEnd,
Thanks for you input. The dealer has a P3 with the Elyse cartridge but no P6. The price difference between the two with the Exact cartridge would be $350. With that difference I'd have the external power unit for better speed control, a heavier platter, stiffer bracing and the opportunity to upgrade to a MC cartridge with the Ania at some point if I decide to go that way. Also an upgraded belt. My system is only moderate. I have a Yamaha a-s801 integrated amp, my main speakers are a set of EPI 320 T/E with replaced drivers for the woofer and midrange and a set of Elac 6.2 and two sets of RCA bookshelf speakers on the "B" channel (controlled by a speaker selector to keep the ohm rating constant and a Polk PSW10 for added base. My distance from the speakers is approximately 8 feet and the room is "Z" shaped. I can't afford much more at this point. Any suggestions as to a different TT?

DeepEnd
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by DeepEnd » 21 Jan 2019 17:17

The Planar 3 is a very good deck and the point I was making was that it’s capable of being used with MC’s (including Ania) and higher end cartridges than the Elys. I also keep forgetting how expensive the Exact is outside of the UK.

Don’t get me wrong the Elys is not a bad cartridge and is fairly balanced but is not particularly outstanding in any one area and does not show just what a P3 is capable of. Yes I have an Elys but prefer most of my other cartridges.

If you want the convenience of speed switching without moving the belts then the P6 makes much more sense than P3 plus TTPSU or NEO power supply.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 22 Jan 2019 03:01

I'm with Alex - what could go wrong with a Rega over time? Maybe you need a new belt?
Motors do die, especially if not lubricated, and bearings need to be cleaned and relubed every decade or so, but I would expect the Rega to last as least as long as the Technics.