Technics SL-D2 speed issues

turning japanese
mjz
United States of America

Technics SL-D2 speed issues

Post by mjz » 19 Jan 2019 16:04

My Technics SL-D2 is having speed issues.

Reading on this forum, I did the switch and pot cleaning and that seemed to work for a day or so.
But now, pitch will be maintained only for the first 15 minutes or so and then will become unstable where the pitch adjust will not stabilize the speed. If I keep the SL-D2 off for a day and come back to it - it will run fine .... for about 15 minutes and then the same thing. Speed is rock solid until that point.

The circuit board looks excellent (no leaking caps that I can see). Perhaps a deeper clean? I did only use CRC contact cleaner not Deoxit. Maybe that's the issue? I'd hate to have to take it all apart again.

Thanks

(I'm new to vinylengine - referred over by the guys at AudioKarma. )

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-D2 speed issues

Post by vinyl master » 19 Jan 2019 16:55

Welcome to Vinyl Engine, mjt! =D> You have a great table there...I've bought THREE of these Technics tables in the last couple of years (SL-D202, SL-D2, SL-D3) and love them! You might want to read these for a few more ideas...Lubing the motor and replacing the caps were a couple more things suggested...

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... ty.721848/
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... on.581713/

I say this about EVERY turntable, but patience is key and if you keep at it, sometimes with a little trial-and-error, you can usually get to the root of most problems...Every model will be different and even the same models can act differently...Make sure you download and read this, too, if you haven't...

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... l-d2.shtml

Here's mine, if you haven't seen it...

mjz
United States of America

Post by mjz » 19 Jan 2019 19:33

Thank you for the info!

I tried deoxit on the pots and switches and my speed problem keeps coming back. It will start fine - speed is locked perfectly and then about 10-15 minutes later speed lock is lost - speed will rise out of range so that the pitch adjustment wheel is useless.

What would be a time sensitive part failure? Could it be the caps?

mjz
United States of America

Post by mjz » 19 Jan 2019 23:20

I can reproduce the speed up issue consistently. All tests done were done at 33 1/3 rpm selected.

1. Turn on the turntable cold and it will run perfectly for about 20 minutes - then lose lock and speeds up.
2. Turn turntable off then on and it will run perfectly for about 10-15 seconds then lose lock and speeds up. I can do this over and over again. It will always run with speed lock at first.
3. Unplug the the turntable while running and it will run perfectly for about 30 seconds and then lose lock and speeds up.
4. "Switch" the speed to neutral (zero) and let the platter stop, power still on, then switch to 33 1/3 rpm and the unit will run perfectly for only 1-2 seconds then lose lock. Only turning unit completely off or unplugging it buys me more time before speed lock is lost.

If I leave the unit un-powered for a few hours, I gain back time the unit will remain stable. I can play one side of one LP one time this way. Not practical of course.

So I do wonder if leaky caps are predictable like this? There does seem to be a temperature effect. The IC chip does have a heat sink over it.

I more curious than anything in terms of others experience. Has anyone had to replace the IC chip? or bad caps can be temperature sensitive and behave the same way as noted above.

Electone

Post by Electone » 20 Jan 2019 03:00

Bad electrolytic capacitor(s)?

mjz
United States of America

Post by mjz » 24 Jan 2019 02:28

Here is a short video showing the loss of speed lock after the turntable has been running for about 30 minutes initially.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kclugyl3wa2c4 ... 9.mp4?dl=0

Note the bars on the bottom (33 1/3 rpm)

Fozzie
Great Britain

Post by Fozzie » 26 Jan 2019 18:23

Hey guys,

I have a Technics SL-B202 model (its semi-automatic). It does run like a dream MOST of the time...am very pleased with it to be frank as it did not cost a whole lot of money and ideal for me as a starter table to dip my toes in the water so to speak. The issue I experience is that the first play of most days, the speed will dip during the course of about the first 5 minutes of play. After that it stabilises and I have no issues whatsoever.

I have performed some low level (beginner/novice) maintenance tasks...I cleaned all around the surface, platter, pitch slider (sprayed a little lubricant on the slider and sliding it slowly back and forth to ease the joints). I also left the belt in a bowl of steaming hot water to shrink that back, aswell as lubing around the belt pulley. I should add, before I performed this maintenance I was getting occasional slow down at a few more intervals during the play of one side of a record, but since these tasks I now get it just at the start (not of each record, just the first play of any given day).

So yeah, I'm wondering what next I should attempt. I guess maybe the motor needs a little lubricant though obviously being a beginner to all this, i'm kinda looking at this with trepidation. I'm not even entirely sure how I would go about doing it because the service manual/booklet (and owners manual) did not come with the model so i'm kinda in uncharted territory here! Its not causing me major issues, as I say it is only occurring at the beginning of play, which is better than the stability I had before basic maintenance, which was mildly erratic.

I did wonder if I maybe have to just accept that, given the age of the little beauty, perhaps its something I might have to live with. When I bought it, while it is in pristine condition, it had been in storage for 20 years without being used.

One last thing giving me a minor 'concern'. I bought one of those digital tracking force scales. The cartridge i'm using is the newer AT type (VM95E). The instructions said the tracking force is between 1.5 - 2.5. I initially set this to 2.5 (just cos I read that it was worse for general wear of the stylus to have less than more tracking weight - not sure how true that is...)...But anyway, I did have minor distortion (and a bit of bobbing about with the needle) using the upper 2.5 so that's why I bought the scales for a more accurate measure. It gave consistent readings of just over 1.6. That's just above the minimum recommendation, so I am kinda worried if that is too low. Thing is, since I set it to that, the needle has been gliding across the grooves just fine and no distortion whatsoever. So, am I just being paranoid about that? It just seemed odd to me that the required tracking weight was that low. Or maybe it explains why 2.5 was too much. I don't know so just wondered?!?!

Cheers!