Fisher MT-6430c spindle lubrication

snap, crackle and pop
SDtech9

Fisher MT-6430c spindle lubrication

Post by SDtech9 » 16 Jan 2019 05:48

Hi all,

I would like to know if the spindle requires grease, oil or no lube?
I had to apply heat in order to remove the platter because it was stuck.
Needed to clean it. Now I have done so but I am unsure as to what type of lubrication it requires if at all.
I looked it the Owners manual for a Mt-6421 since there is no manual on the VE library for a Mt- 6430c, both are almost identical.

I could not find any info on the web about this particular model.

Thank you for any Help you can provide.

Cheers

KentT
long player
long player

Re: Fisher MT-6430c spindle lubrication

Post by KentT » 16 Jan 2019 14:28

Most every Fisher is CEC built in that era, and lubricated for life per the manuals.

SDtech9

Post by SDtech9 » 16 Jan 2019 20:54

What do you mean by CEC? KentT?
So you are saying that were the platter hole meets/contacts the spindle is lubricated for life? or are you talking below that area? If were the hole meets/comes in contact with the spindle then it should have not been stuck. I don't understand?

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 17 Jan 2019 01:11

I agree that a bearing sticking suggests that lubrication for life may not be an eternal guarantee.
Plenty of turntables tell you to use a light oil (often they provide it), and suggestions range from nondetergent 30 weight motor oil (the original AR) to three in one, sewing machine oil, Mobil One or STP. I think the exact type may be less important than simply getting oil in there.
Having just finally gotten a Garrard SL95b running to speed - a complete disassembly and relube of the mechanism and the motor didn't do it until I took the motor apart a second time and added several more drops of oil to the sintered bronze bearing in the bottom - and getting a Dual 1219 with a completely frozen motor going by cleaning and lubricating, I don't believe in lubrication for life.
The life expectancy of turntables was probably a decade or so, but here we are using them more than half a century later. It shouldn't surprise anyone that work needs to be done. Oilite and sintered bearing probably should be thoroughly degreased before reoiling, but who is going to do that? Just liberally oiling them seems to work, so I suspect that is what most people will do.
CEC was one of a couple of japanese companies that built turntables to spec for many japanese audio firms, including most of the big ones - there is a reason so many 70s tables, especially the little parts, look rather similar.

SDtech9

Post by SDtech9 » 17 Jan 2019 08:26

Hey Nat,
Thank you for the fast repply.
I cleaned and polished the platter and went to install it and it would not go in all the way so i had to use some 250grit sand paper on the hole of the platter an that took care of the problem i think it must had a bur.
So now i have to order the cart and needle.
And about the oiling i looked in the Technics SL-D2 oweners manual and it mentions oiling the bearing wich i did.
Thank you again for your advice and Help.
Cheers

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 18 Jan 2019 02:54

I hope you weren't too enthusiastic with the sandpaper, and that you cleaned up the debris very carefully. Going after bearings with abrasives is dicey. But why argue with success?

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 19 Jan 2019 01:14

SDtech9 wrote:
16 Jan 2019 20:54
What do you mean by CEC? KentT?
So you are saying that were the platter hole meets/contacts the spindle is lubricated for life? or are you talking below that area? If were the hole meets/comes in contact with the spindle then it should have not been stuck. I don't understand?
CEC/Chuo Denki Japan. The company who built this turntable for Fisher/Sanyo.