Another new DD turntable.

snap, crackle and pop
Woodbrains
England

Another new DD turntable.

Post by Woodbrains » 10 Jan 2019 11:43

Hello,

It seems the vinyl revolution is continuing and digital functionality is being incorporated more and more. Could be a way to ensure the trend continues.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... -ces-2019/

Rega based tonearm, aluminium plinth, moving coil cart as standard equipment, built in phono stage and Bluetooth. Doesn't look like a bad effort for the money. I wonder if the DD motor had anything to do with Technics, I'm sure CA wouldn't have the resources to develop their own. Might be Hanpin....

Mike.

Beobloke
Great Britain

Re: Another new DD turntable.

Post by Beobloke » 10 Jan 2019 14:01

I've seen this before and really like the look of it. However, I'm sure I remember reading that the motor is CA's own design.

Needler

Post by Needler » 10 Jan 2019 14:27

Woodbrains wrote:
10 Jan 2019 11:43
Hello,

It seems the vinyl revolution is continuing and digital functionality is being incorporated more and more. Could be a way to ensure the trend continues.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... -ces-2019/

Rega based tonearm, aluminium plinth, moving coil cart as standard equipment, built in phono stage and Bluetooth. Doesn't look like a bad effort for the money. I wonder if the DD motor had anything to do with Technics, I'm sure CA wouldn't have the resources to develop their own. Might be Hanpin....

Mike.
Looks interesting, but I don't think this particular table "helps" the vinyl revolution. It doesn't hurt it, of course, but the TT's that really Help are all in the under four figure price range. Vinyl is still a niche market, and the number of people willing to shell out four figures or more for a TT to play music they are used to getting for free on their phone or computer with no expensive playback hardware is even rarer.

$1700 can get a lot of TV, computer, or a number of other things. This is a "niche within a niche" item. I'm a big fan of wireless and even willing to pay for it. It is a must in all my cars.

laffs4sale

Post by laffs4sale » 10 Jan 2019 15:17

Where is it made? I don't see a market for a Chinese-made turntable at this price, regardless of where it was engineered. But Technics and CA seem to be betting against me. We'll see.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 10 Jan 2019 16:15

Beobloke wrote:
10 Jan 2019 14:01
I've seen this before and really like the look of it. However, I'm sure I remember reading that the motor is CA's own design.
Hello,

It is said about the MC cart being CA own design, but that is doubtful. Design is often used just to mean, pick one from an existing range, (perhaps slightly modified) that will have specs adequate for the job. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would specify a Technics motor, rather than design one myself. The tonearm is definitely Rega, so the table is likely to be a 'bitza'.

Mike.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 11 Jan 2019 01:07

The cartridge is 'bespoke' which means they have it made for them to some set of specifications.
I would be surprised if the design of direct drive tables is anything arcane at this point. The various parts are clearly available, and probably at different tolerance levels, and if the specs and quality control are tight, there isn't any reason to think it won't be top notch.
Cambridge Audio knows what they are doing, so I suspect this will be a fine turntable. Whether it will find a place in the market is a different matter.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 11 Jan 2019 01:28

And just wait until a new owner accidentally snaps off the cantilever/stylus. :shock:
Such nonsense to put a MC cartridge on something like that.

Do they send the whole machine in?
Goofy.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 11 Jan 2019 13:22

Hello,

HOMC cart might not be my choice, but for the money, it does have a cart fitted after all and a phonostage. The price is not as high as it first appears. Put a £450 cart on the new Technics SL1200 mk7, and add a £250 phono stage, it works out more expensive. I'm sure the Technics is very good, but I'd rather have this CA in my living room. At least some bits are made in Britain, too.

I think if I was clumsy enough to break the cantilever of a £450 cart, I should be just as annoyed, whether the cart was MM or MC, and perhaps should not be playing with turntables.

Mike.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 11 Jan 2019 16:41

Woodbrains wrote:
11 Jan 2019 13:22
Hello,

HOMC cart might not be my choice, but for the money, it does have a cart fitted after all and a phonostage. The price is not as high as it first appears. Put a £450 cart on the new Technics SL1200 mk7, and add a £250 phono stage, it works out more expensive. I'm sure the Technics is very good, but I'd rather have this CA in my living room. At least some bits are made in Britain, too.

I think if I was clumsy enough to break the cantilever of a £450 cart, I should be just as annoyed, whether the cart was MM or MC, and perhaps should not be playing with turntables.

Mike.
But, a with MM/MI cartridge, the stylus is user-replaceable of course.
A major convenience for users, IMO a better selling point.

Needler

Post by Needler » 11 Jan 2019 18:32

Spinner45 wrote:
11 Jan 2019 16:41

What's the difference between MI and MC. I thought they were both, basically, moving iron.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 11 Jan 2019 18:33

Spinner45 wrote:
Woodbrains wrote:
11 Jan 2019 13:22
Hello,

Mike.
Hello,

It has to be better than a U Turn though! It sort of proves that a made in a Western country, be it USA or Britain, a turntable, or any product really, is going to be at a higher end of price to be any good. I think it looks a solid table. I think with the MC cart and high Res Bluetooth, CA is trying for a niche that has not been plundered already. The amp and other CA components that they are looking to pair with that table aren't budget level stuff, it comes with the aptX HD Bluetooth, which the table needs to produce 24bit 48KHz wireless conectivity. Presumably the table, especially the phono stage, presumably must be a reasonably high end product, to make the whole package worth doing. A MC cart was possibly thought of as a selling point to express this high level ethos.

I would not be really interested in wireless conectivity myself, but I am an old sod. Never the less, it is a brave move of CA to launch a table, pretty much aimed at millennials with a high income. It is predicting the continuance of vinyl beyond old enthusiasts lifetimes!

Mike.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 11 Jan 2019 18:39

Needler wrote:
11 Jan 2019 18:32
Spinner45 wrote:

What's the difference between MI and MC. I thought they were both, basically, moving iron.
Hello,

Moving coil are silver or copper or some such wire, the magnets are fixed, so no moving iron.

It is not the iron or magnet that spinner is really highlighting, but the fact that these have replaceable stylii, moving coil does not. I get his point, but the price of replacement stylii are so close to the cost of a cart these days, it might not matter too much. I would literally cry if I bent my cantilever on my best cart, MM all the same and not as high a price as the one fitted to this table. It wouldn't be replaced without a few months saving up, so I'm careful!

Mike.
Last edited by Woodbrains on 11 Jan 2019 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 11 Jan 2019 18:40

Needler wrote:
11 Jan 2019 18:32
Spinner45 wrote:

MM = Moving Magnet = user replaceable stylus.
MI = Moving Iron = user replaceable stylus
MC = Moving Coil = cartridge needs to be sent away, for re-tipping stylus.

Having a "spare replacement stylus" around, IF a mishap should happen, it's merely a moment to change a stylus, and continuing with your music enjoyment, not weeks for having to send the whole MC cartridge out. (that's a pain that only dedicated snobbish audiophiles would do)

Needler

Post by Needler » 11 Jan 2019 18:47

Woodbrains wrote:
11 Jan 2019 18:39
Hello,

Moving coil are silver or copper or some such wire, the magnets are fixed, so no moving iron.

It is not the iron or magnet that spinner is really highlighting, but the fact that these have replaceable stylii, moving coil does not. I get his point, but the price of replacement stylii are so close to the cost of a cart these days, it might not matter too much. I would literally cry if I bent my cantilever on my best cart, MM all the same and not as high a price as the one fitted to this table. It wouldn't be replaced without a few months saving up, so I'm careful!

Mike.
Back in the day, my daughter snapped the cantilever right off my AT 155LC. She was barely walking at the time. She's almost 40 now. I forgave her. I still use that cartridge, but with a different stylus. I replaced it 30 years ago. I should check to see what stylus it is.

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 11 Jan 2019 23:35

More interesting news! It certainly looks very good. It reads "Assembled in China" on the back, so possibly not a 100 % in house design. 0.06% wow and flutter, according to Cambridge Audio's website (the text presentation, the specs section on the other hand says "<0.1%"...), while much better than the generic Hanpin tables, is still worse than a new Technics at a similar price.

I'm not sure there's a market for a table like this... A decent direct drive, sure, but a non-switchable built-in phono preamp at this price seems like a downright foolish choice... The website mentions something about the preamp reducing noise of records, and at least I definitely wouldn't want a phono preamp adding some kind of generic noise processing... They ought to consider a "budget" version without preamp, bluetooth and pre-mounted cartridge as well. Of course, it still wouldn't match the specs of a Technics but for some people looks are more important and the specs are definitely decent enough considering so many people are perfectly happy with Hanpin tables specced at 0.2 % w&f.