snap, crackle and pop
JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: The final word on VTA/SRA?

Post by JDJX » 08 Jan 2019 22:59

The VTA of course just referrers to the angle of the cantilever when playing a record.
As the article relates... it does not address the real issue which is the "Stylus Rake Angle" (SRA.).

You just want to set the stylus to "rake" forward about 1-2 degrees to match the average rake angle of the cutting stylus on the master lathe.
You just set it on an average thicknesses flat LP (with a bit of magnification) and forget it .

This graphic illustrates the importance of this for the best overall play back.
Yes, the best you can hope for is a good average needed but, at least you want a proper average setting .

BTW, I suspect that most of the differences that some experience with different mats has more to do with changing the SRA. .... than it does with the mat's material. :)
groove_v1x.jpg
(21.11 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
SRA-Actu.jpg
(26.94 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 09 Jan 2019 04:30

wrote:
08 Jan 2019 19:28
VTA - Vertical tracking angle
SRA - Stylus Rake Angle

I read a review about the VTA adjustment on the Audio Technica AT LP120 not allowing you to go down far enough (Ignoring for a moment that many of its competitors do it with a headshell shim), and thought, "Oh man, what a design flaw". So I started reading article after forum about VTA and the more I read, the more it looked like (mostly) smoke and mirrors.

Then I came across this article that, for me, puts it to bed: https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e.html

The final answer is that it's (mostly) much adieu about nothing. All the posts I read all over the interwebs about leveling your tonearm and then adjusting by ear sounded really crazy to me since, to hear such differences would imply this had a huge effect on sound. And in the end, who is too say the sound is "too much bass" or "too much treble", because that's what you have to do to set it by ear. It's not just unscientific but WAY too subjective. And for many turntables, there is no way to easily adjust it between listenings. It sounded more and more just a way to keep fanatics busy fretting over their turntables precise setup.

But the article clears up all my questions in such a way that I can set it and not lose sleep wondering my tonearm is "precisely set up properly". It's fine. Now I can move on to more pressing issues like, deadly hormones in my chicken nuggets. :)
Indeed, I've never gone "nuts' over insignificant trivial things, and myths that bear no facts other than opinions.
I have to wonder where it all started, was it some obsessed individual that grew up into a nitpicking crusader?
Some self-proclaimed perfectionist intent on gaining a following of easily-led others?
Maybe to boost their own egos?

When you're not a very scientifically-oriented individual, you're likely prone to what others say and think, particularly when it's something utterly rediculous.
Face it, there are many different kinds of people in the world, with many different views, and many different "smartness" levels.
Some, gullible, and then there's me. :wink:

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

It may never be final

Post by EdAInWestOC » 09 Jan 2019 13:41

The adjustment is neither insignificant nor is it a waste of time. People like to justify their point of view by stating anything they can and backing it up with anyone who may or may not have agreed with their point of view.

I say one thing, try it out. Just use your ears. You do not have to agonize over anything. I do not have a type A personality and I side with anything to make life simpler. All the same I am a proponent of VTA on the fly.

The reason is simple, I tried it. I avoid fussy activities so I work on finding the optimum setting once, when I first spin the LP. Once found, I write this setting down and store it on a piece of paper I keep with each LP.

That way I can just listen. I dislike spending any time on other things. I like to spend my time thinking about what I going to spin next.

VTA on the fly does allow the user to optimize one last parameter to position the stylus as close to the position as the cutting head was when mastering the lacquer. There is a small sweet spot where everything snaps into focus but this sweet spot isn't prominent on all LPs. Some LPs show little to no improvement when tweaking the VTA/SRA.

IMO VTA on the fly is a controversy for only one reason. People pay lots of money for their analog playback hardware and some tonearms have VTA on the fly and some do not. There are absolutely great tonearms that do not have VTA on the fly.

People who own tonearms without this feature tend to favor the argument against VTA on the fly. It is easier to adopt an attitude than to admit anything could be missing from your excellent tonearm. People will be people.

If you do ever find yourself owning a tonearm with VTA on the fly, you might consider you are missing something by adopting a fixed VTA. At the very least, the most stubborn anti-VTAer should admit that VTA/SRA is a critical adjustment. And it is even more critical for advanced profile styli, like line contact styli.

All of that said, the SRA is dependent on several things and the vinyl thickness is the most obvious. With the advent of modern LP reissues, pressed on heavy weight vinyl, the subject of an easy to adjust SRA becomes all the more relevant. Adopting a fixed SRA places many LPs into a less than ideal playback configuration.

All of the disagreement over this feature should include some additional information. I would love to see the data on the people who support VTA on the fly and the people who do not. To make those stats relevant the data should include the age of the person being polled and whether their playback hardware includes VTA on the fly. That may help explain some things.

The above proposed data may not be the last word on the subject but it could help explain the argument. At the very least it would help the manufacturers who may or may not include VTA on the fly on their next tonearm model.

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 09 Jan 2019 14:32

I agree with JDJX about the platter mats.

Adjustment on the fly would be convenient but would become a OCD pita after a while.

Some carts need a precise angle to sound best to me.
Some carts sound fine without...was it just dumb luck it sounded good right out of the gate?
Maybe.

My last cart change, took several adjustments to finally come to life...to my ears, on my table.
But there was a big improvement as I dialed it in.

How many of you have switched cartridges on the same arm and after several, found the one that sounded, hands down, the best?
I'm thinking that's the one with the perfect SRA.

Audiodude

Post by Audiodude » 09 Jan 2019 14:48

I also agonized over VTA/SRA adjustments. I read thread after thread, mostly people using digital microscopes and software to read angles, then began to research the cost/type of microscope and software. After becoming frustrated and confused I came to the revelation that what I was shooting for was a moving target (that moves from album to album), rather than a static adjustment. My TT doesn't have "on the fly" VTA adjustment, it has two small set screws to raise and lower the tonearm, not too difficult. There is no form of indexing on my tonearm, I use two feeler gauges, one for "standard" and one for 180g pressings. I would say this works for about 80% of the records I listen to, the other 20% require an adjustment of .003 to .007 up or down. Yes, this is completely subjective, but my ears can tell the difference. To me, that slight difference is magical.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 09 Jan 2019 15:04

I will volunteer another data point. I espouse both points of view, with conditions attached, as follows:

1) For my exotic cartridges I desire VTA on the fly. Also azimuth adjust is a must have. While the latter need not be on the fly, I do have to admit it's convenient. Do I notice a difference, yes. So my "performance rig" features an arm incorporating both adjustments.

2) All my other tables I set VTA once and then forget about it. On these tables VTA on the fly is unimportant as I would not use it anyway. Just give me basic raise and lower capability. Sufficient for how I use these tables and corresponding cartridges which are more main stream types.

Way more people fall into case 2 then case 1. Why on the fly is largely absent from so many tables. Yet another case of it depends.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 09 Jan 2019 17:46

VTA or SRA?? Two terms that get you to the same place once you get it right. I've taken the middle road and taken to naming it simply "tracking angle".

And, yes, it is a demonstratable factor in getting good sound out of a cartridge setup. It is one of many factors that go into getting a stylus optimally positioned to sense every little undulation on both sides of a groove equally and accurately. And like many terms associated with many different paths of human undertaking, you may not appreciate it until you accidentally or scientifically experience it at it's best and can identify it for what it is. It's benefits are as tangible as optimal tire pressure on a car or getting a cooking recipe just right.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 09 Jan 2019 19:57

Yeah, small record warps can change the SRA intermittently.
Big warps can cause other problems in addition to the changing SRA and all bets are off for big warps.

However, fortunately for smaller warps, the human brain seems to always focus on the clear sound and not notice the intermittent bad SRA sound caused by the warp as the two switch back and forth rapidly. :)

If you were to set the SRA off for the same amount on a flat LP, you will notice it , compared to a properly set SRA. :)

I suspect that it's sort of like how we do not notice individual frames in movies .:)

analogaudio
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by analogaudio » 09 Jan 2019 23:31

Changing the height of the arm to adjust VTA/SRA on statically balanced arms (the vast majority are of this type) also changes the downforce being applied to the stylus. This would seem to require that whenever arm height is changed, in pursuit of the "VTA sweet spot" the downforce must be changed also at the same time to avoid deviating from the "downforce sweet spot". Perhaps all arms having VTA on-the-fly incorporated also include an automatic downforce trimming system to avoid this issue? Or, perhaps all the VTA on-the-fly arms are dynamically balanced designs? I would be interested to hear from owners of VTA-on-the-fly arms what arrangements are made available to address this issue.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 10 Jan 2019 00:38

The stylus is the only thing riding in the record groove

So, how can the SRA be "silly"? :)

Audiodude

Post by Audiodude » 10 Jan 2019 01:48

Spinner45 wrote:
09 Jan 2019 18:28
wrote:
09 Jan 2019 18:19
Audiodude wrote:
09 Jan 2019 14:48
I also agonized over VTA/SRA adjustments. I read thread after thread, mostly people using digital microscopes and software to read angles, then began to research the cost/type of microscope and software. After becoming frustrated and confused I came to the revelation that what I was shooting for was a moving target (that moves from album to album), rather than a static adjustment.
Heh. :)

Don't forget the angle change on minor warps
. ;)

My solution was to look at it more like a dart board. I stopped shooting for the bullseyy and am happy if I hit the board.
OMG!
The WARPS!
That will change things drastically ya know!
You gotta be RIGHT THERE to catch it, and re-dial that super-critical VTA knob as the lovely stylus rides over the warp!
Or Else! :shock:
Actually, I do not have a knob, I have two set screws that loosen the tone arm and then I have to insert a feeler gauge and retighten setscrews. Making adjustments for warp is an impossibility and would probably just settle for digital at that point. Since having already invest the time to find or buy the album (rather than just point and click), clean the album with a Nitty Gritty, clean the stylus, you can bet that I am going to spend and extra 45 seconds to have the VTA set properly. Not quite sure what sort of wisdom you are attempting to hand out, but I feel certain it will become clear to me in due time.

Audiodude

Post by Audiodude » 10 Jan 2019 02:04

analogaudio wrote:
09 Jan 2019 23:31
Changing the height of the arm to adjust VTA/SRA on statically balanced arms (the vast majority are of this type) also changes the downforce being applied to the stylus. This would seem to require that whenever arm height is changed, in pursuit of the "VTA sweet spot" the downforce must be changed also at the same time to avoid deviating from the "downforce sweet spot". Perhaps all arms having VTA on-the-fly incorporated also include an automatic downforce trimming system to avoid this issue? Or, perhaps all the VTA on-the-fly arms are dynamically balanced designs? I would be interested to hear from owners of VTA-on-the-fly arms what arrangements are made available to address this issue.
I do not have a statically balanced arm. But I have checked VTF after adjusting VTA by as much as .030 and could not see any measurable change using a Shure SFG-2. Don't believe me, try it for yourself, maybe this only works on my equipment, or to my ear. I used to take peoples advice from this forum and others like it, I found a good deal of misinformation and attitude. Now I conduct my own research/experiments and pass this on to others, in the hopes that it might help someone else.

Hifiler

Post by Hifiler » 10 Jan 2019 05:08

wrote:
09 Jan 2019 19:12
Spinner45 wrote:
09 Jan 2019 18:28
wrote:
09 Jan 2019 18:19

Heh. :)

Don't forget the angle change on minor warps
. ;)

My solution was to look at it more like a dart board. I stopped shooting for the bullseyy and am happy if I hit the board.

OMG!
The WARPS!
That will change things drastically ya know!
You gotta be RIGHT THERE to catch it, and re-dial that super-critical VTA knob as the lovely stylus rides over the warp!
Or Else! :shock:
Not a problem. Get a turntable with on-the fly VTA adjustment. You set up your turntable next to your listening chair and, while listening, when you see the high warps coming, crank it a bit to raise the tonearm to match, then crank it back down on the downhill. Audio nirvana.
Or even better, get a decent record clamp to somewhat manage the warps. Of course a vacuum turntable is better still, but at a significant cost.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 10 Jan 2019 07:01

Hifiler wrote:
10 Jan 2019 05:08

Or even better, get a decent record clamp to somewhat manage the warps. Of course a vacuum turntable is better still, but at a significant cost.
Yeah, sure, those "vacuum" jobs are more insanity for the rich to enjoy. :roll:

Hifiler

Post by Hifiler » 10 Jan 2019 14:25

Spinner45 wrote:
10 Jan 2019 07:01
Hifiler wrote:
10 Jan 2019 05:08

Yeah, sure, those "vacuum" jobs are more insanity for the rich to enjoy. :roll:
You must be joking. The same argument could be made for LOMCs, non-stock tonearms, "exotic" stylii for MM carts, or actually just about anything we do in this hobby.

Obviously most brand new vacuum turntables are pretty pricey, but I've seen used older models sell for what many people pay for non-vacuum decks.