The coolest vintage turntable mods

snap, crackle and pop
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

The coolest vintage turntable mods

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jan 2019 22:36

We've talked about the Crosleys to death here on this site...One reason that the Crosleys are so popular may have to do with the fact that they have an aesthetically-designed turntable for every room decor or style you can think of...Aesthetics plays a big role in young people buying these turntables...If we want to turn people on to something more robust and vintage, we have to make the quality turntables COOL again...So, what have you guys done to make your turntables COOL again? 8) If I were a younger man, I might look at something like Japi's Kenwood system or Jfrace's Elac here...

We also have new member harrissam's Technics in orange, SpruceMoose's Mitsubishi in fire-engine red and Tonybro's "old faithful" Blooey! =D>

There was member vonvichousch's HC-16 that he fixed up for his niece...

Or his beautiful Garrard AP-76 in white...

There was also this chromed-up Dual...

Any one of those would make a cool gift and they are just a few of the creative turntables I've been enamored with during my time here...So, my questions to you are these...Have any of you guys painted or fashioned a wild-looking plinth for a turntable to make it "cooler"? Anyone added some stickers (radio station, band, record store, etc.) to the TT or dust cover for fun? How about a wild new paint job? What mods have you made to your TT's to make them cool? I like keeping things original myself, but if I were gifting a turntable to someone younger, I might want to add some pizzazz and jazz it up...Make it one-of-a-kind, so to speak...So, if any of you guys have some cool turntable modifications to share, by all means, feel free...I want to see your creative imaginations at work, my friends! :D
Last edited by vinyl master on 04 Jan 2019 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Re: The coolest vintage turntable mods

Post by Japi Roelofs » 04 Jan 2019 22:57

Hey VM, the funny thing is that my Kenwood console actually has the original colour!
But I did paint the Wharfedale speakers in a matching colour... does it count?

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jan 2019 23:25

Absolutely, Japi! :D I wonder how many others have painted their speakers to match their table or even their plinth... :-k

I wouldn't mind seeing more of that type of thing actually...We need some inspired craftsmanship around here! :D

Harrissam
United States of America

Post by Harrissam » 05 Jan 2019 05:14

Thank you VM for the shout out!

Sam

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jan 2019 07:05

You're welcome, Sam...Your Techie is certainly worth noting, as it's definitely not what one usually sees when they see a standard 1200...Have you done a faceplate mod or any other mod to another turntable like this, or was this your first one? :-k

What made you want to do it in that color, by the way? :-k

I ask, because it came out awesome and orange is my favorite color, next to blue! =D>

Do you have a cool receiver or speakers hooked up to it? Did I miss that somewhere? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jan 2019 07:31

There are other mods you can do to the 1200, by the way...Although he's a DJ, he had some cool things done to his Techies...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jan 2019 07:42

There is also this guy's LED upgrade to his Pro-Ject...Warning: Only do this if you are absolutely CERTAIN you want to do it, because once you start, there's no stopping!

Still, a pretty cool idea...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jan 2019 08:03

Now, this looks heavy-duty! I saw this turntable on Reddit made of concrete, maple and stainless steel...A real work of art and "mass"-ive! :wink: It may not be light enough for most people to carry, but it looks like a tank! :shock:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jan 2019 08:10

On the cheaper side, member Chiltern showed off this Garrard 4HF some time back in a cool grey plinth...

I can imagine the plinth would look awesome in white, black or candy apple red, too...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jan 2019 08:52

In fact, while this is by no means a professional mock-up, I was playing around in Paint and imagined what a red plinth would look like...Very White Stripe-y in it's color scheme, no? :-k

Almost makes me want to find one of these old Garrards and play around with it a bit... :-k

A white Type A or RC98 might also fit the bill for something like this, too...

Chiltern
long player
long player
England

Post by Chiltern » 05 Jan 2019 13:11

vinyl master wrote:
05 Jan 2019 08:52
In fact, while this is by no means a professional mock-up, I was playing around in Paint and imagined what a red plinth would look like...Very White Stripe-y in it's color scheme, no? :-k
That's very kind of you to show how it might look, I'm afraid that I'm very much a dinosaur and would not know how to even use paint. The grey colour I chose, for 2 reasons, a, I had the paint, b, when these Garrard 4HF models were 1st available around 1960 iirc, they sometimes came with a Grey colour soft cover. I have had such a cover made for this 4HF.

This 4HF very much a budjet project, this should qualify for the cheapskates club. The deck cost £7 fitted in a console, the plinth itself the top part of a toolbox, then infilled with layered chipboard (particle board) to make it solid. The original mounting springs despensed with, now a solid mount which reduces the rumble to very acceptable levels, fitted with a Stanton 500 it works well.

I've a new project for this spring, perhaps I'll go through some of my paint that I have left over from restoring American Jukeboxes, Rock-ola pinks and Mauve, Seeburg Greens and Yellows, could be interesting.

Alan

Harrissam
United States of America

Post by Harrissam » 05 Jan 2019 17:20

vinyl master wrote:
05 Jan 2019 07:05
You're welcome, Sam...Your Techie is certainly worth noting, as it's definitely not what one usually sees when they see a standard 1200...Have you done a faceplate mod or any other mod to another turntable like this, or was this your first one? :-k

What made you want to do it in that color, by the way? :-k

I ask, because it came out awesome and orange is my favorite color, next to blue! =D>

Do you have a cool receiver or speakers hooked up to it? Did I miss that somewhere? :-k
I’m glad you think so. I love it!

This was my first one. In fact, this is my first serious turntable. I have a 1936 Wurlitzer jukebox which plays 78s but I have wanted a serious turntable to play other records for quite a while.

It is an orange faceplate. The decals were purchased and added by me. It is orange because we are Tennessee Volunteer fans! You will notice the white “T” decal as well. It is a UT themed turntable. Not been too happy with the football team but love the “Vols” turntable! :lol:

The whole setup consists of a Nagaoka MP-110, a Schitt Mani preamp, a pair of Klipsch R-51PM speakers and a Klipsch Sub-8 II subwoofer. It is setup in the living room. The speakers are on either side of our tv which sits on the mantle. The turntable is sitting on the built in desk/shelves. The Subwoofer is located on the floor under the desk/shelves. This arrangement creats a high feedback ceiling and the volume can be as loud as you can stand it! Sounds wonderful! Stop by and listen anytime. :D

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 05 Jan 2019 18:30

In preparation for a new tonearm I resurfaced the armboard of my Denon with new veneer in contrasting finish. Previously it was having same finish as the plinth. I also replaced stock hold down screws with threaded rod and brass finger nuts. Resulted in a notable difference, aesthetically as well as performance wise!
Attachments
reed 3p.JPG
(58.51 KiB) Downloaded 614 times

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Jan 2019 01:29

Very nice, Legrace...And a classic look...Almost with a parquet inlay feel... =D>

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 06 Jan 2019 21:25

vinyl master wrote:
05 Jan 2019 08:03
Now, this looks heavy-duty! I saw this turntable on Reddit made of concrete, maple and stainless steel...A real work of art and "mass"-ive! :wink: It may not be light enough for most people to carry, but it looks like a tank! :shock:

The Lenco owners are in a universe of their own, when it comes to turntable mods =D>

The only "mod" I am working on my 1019 is a nicer plinth. I really could not find a nice diy plinth that would fit the 1019. Still need to make it, its just a quick render using photoshop.

Before
mvt16-thorens-td-124-4.jpg
(93.63 KiB) Downloaded 516 times
After
dual4.jpg
(48.04 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
Something that caught my eye a while back was this:
4854331486_ca408567fb_b.jpg
(78.51000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 490 times