An epiphany...Could THIS be the turntable everyone's looking for???

snap, crackle and pop
lenjack
long player
long player

Re: An epiphany...Could THIS be the turntable everyone's looking for???

Post by lenjack » 15 Jun 2019 17:03

He might be unique.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 15 Jun 2019 17:33

Steve64 wrote:
15 Jun 2019 17:02
How about for an eleven year old grandson who likes Sinatra?!
According to lenjack, he's unique, but not as unique as a 5-year old who likes Ol' Blue Eyes...

And then we have TWO Sinatra lovers who are just too much when they get together! :D

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 16 Jun 2019 12:37

Meanwhile, in other news ... this must be the cheapest turntable around ... a bargain surely!! :lol: :lol:

https://www.ebuyer.com/802734-turntable ... yturntable

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 16 Jun 2019 15:15

"Stunning wood effect" and "single watt speakers" How can I resist :?: :!: :shock: :lol: :roll: #-o

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 16 Jun 2019 19:49

A bonus point for 78 RPM too!! ... :lol:

rmurad38
United States of America

Post by rmurad38 » 19 Jun 2019 20:40

rmurad38 wrote:
14 Jun 2019 21:02
My impressions on this turntable:

I won't repeat everything that has been said, but something I have not seen posted anywhere are the specs, it DOES in fact have them in the manual. They aren't overly impressive nor totally complete, but here you go:

General:
Power requirements: AC120 V ~ 60Hz
Power Consumption: 5 W
Dimensions (WxHxD): 43.9 cm x 35.5 cm x 14.4 cm (approx.)

Record Player section
Motor: DC Servo Motor
Drive System: Belt Drive
Speeds: 33-1/3 rpm, 45 rpm,
"Wow Flutter" Less than 0.25% (WTD)
S/N Ratio: 55db
Cartridge Type: Moving Magnetic Cartridge
Stylus: AT3600L
RCA OUT: 200-280 mV (5cm/sec at 1KHz-10db)
Phono out: 3-4mv ((5cm/sec at 1KHz-10db)

BLUETOOTH TRANSMIT
Bluetooth Version: Bluetooth V4.2
Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP
Bluetooth Frequency range: 2.402-2.480GHz
Operating Distance: 10 meters (33 ft.)

So, I purchased one of these for use in my living room. I don't have a proper system down there and in fact hooked to the TV is a (horrors) Samsung Soundbar with BLUETOOTH. Unpacking the perfect box, no dents scuffs, etc I noticed the dust cover is cracked. the way its packed (top of the box, nothing but a piece of thin foam between the outer carton and the cover, im not surprised. This one will have to go back. But I figured while I had the box open, I might as well check it out. The rest of the parts are packed fine and there was no further damage. Anyway I set it up, though don't follow the instructions on Anti-Skate, as mentioned before, they are wrong telling you to keep it at "0" unless you have "skipping" issues. I set it to the recommended 2.5 Grams mentioned elsewhere in the manual and its playing and tracking fine.

The sound, well all I can say is that it seems fine, the SQ of the AT3600L has been beaten to death here so it is what it is. More importantly, I feel (since the stylus or cart is very easily upgraded) are the other qualities. Rumble seems very low, as in on my soundbar I cant hear any. there is no 60Hz hum, No hiss beyond what the record itself may contain, and the amount of clicks and pops seem quite low too. The Bluetooth transmission does not sound compromised in any way in that they seem to be broadcasting a full range signal, lows and highs sound about what you expect a AT3600L to sound like (no artificial cutting off of the highs or lows) and output volume is fine. I did not test the RCAs at Line or Phono level because in this setup, id likely never use them.

I think where this table excels compared to the low end Crosleys and the like is construction and build quality. Yes the player is light weight, but the plinth is made out of thin MDF, the platter is aluminium, Tonearm is metal, there is a minimal amount of plastic in this thing surprisingly enough. The feet are conical and sprung which helps with vibration too. The Bluetooth paring was dead simple. My speed and stability(on 33 1/3) seems fine, though I cant know for sure without a test disk, I have not tried any 45s so I cant speak for that. Speed adjustment is easy enough if it s not. I hope my replacement is a decent a sample as this one is. Can't really fault it for a broken cover, but maybe better packaging could help. When I get the new one, I'll update this post if there is anything worth mentioning.
UPDATE: I got the replacement, packaged well this time, nothing broken. This unit though has some issues. most seriously, the platter bearing is loose, the platter once installed actually rocks slightly, have never seen that before. Secondly, the cueing lever barely lifts the stylus off the record. Thirdly, setting the anti skate correctly causes the player to skip on any record when it hits about halfway into the final track, set it to "0" (Which strangely is what they say to do in the instructions) and it plays through fine. My first player didn't do this.

With all of these issues, I was curious so I popped off the bottom (6 screws fastened into almost stripped out holes) and had a look. Very cheap on the inside, but I already knew this. I will say however that while cheap, everything is assembled well internally. Wires are routed neatly and fastened where necessary. I have no issues with the assembly given the price point.

I first checked out the main bearing, it was nice to see that there actually is one, not just a greased plastic hole like a Crosley. The bearing presses into a plastic part on the plinth and is fastened my 3 screws. Thats where the play is. No amount of pressing or tightening of screws would fix it. I feel perhaps the plastic part that the bearing presses into is deformed. My first unit did not have the issue.

Second issue, the cueing lever. You can't really get to the mechanism from the bottom, there is a screw that held a greasy plastic cup removing both exposes a pretty weak spring. I reassembled and it seems better, at least the stylus doesn't still hit, but the up and down range is too low. I feel the issue could be with the cueing lever itself, betting its geared and was just not assembled properly. Getting to the lever would be done by removing the plastic part off the plinth that the tonearm is attached to. I wasn't going to attempt this. Again, my first unit did not exhibit this problem.

Third issue, the anti-skate. The knob simply drives a gear with a spring. Depending on where you spin it, the spring engages the tonearm from about halfway through its travel to closer to the end. Setting at "0" it never engages. Doesn't seem to be "real" anti-skate if you ask me.

Finally it was nice to see the auto shut-off is optical and has adjustments for both 7" and 12" records. I will say, despite all of these issues the player works fine (at "0" anti-skate) and the sound is as good as the first one. When I did the first exchange, I noticed that all of the players in stock seemed to be returns (double seal) my first one with the broken cover didn't have it, go figure. I have to wonder if my local store just has returns on the shelf? Given the condition of the screws I suspect mine may have been messed around with and returned.

I am a bit fed up now, and won't be picking up a third. There are either major QC issues, or the retailer is not handling returns properly. I've had enough. Its a shame because the idea of it is great, it the best looking at that price. I do think the materials are better than most, and while super cheap, it was built reasonably well. Oh well. I'm actually going to try the new AT-LP60XBT, it has been reviewed reasonably well, the Bluetooth level is also 5.0 and it supports AptX which could improve the sound quality. I'll let everyone know.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 19 Jun 2019 21:00

Probably OK, and just a bad run, since it seems that your first one was "good" except for the cover. Appears your store just has bad returns available. Your first one was a good example.

btracy3535
United States of America

Post by btracy3535 » 20 Jun 2019 20:33

I'm a newbie to vinyl, but have always been intrigued by it. I knew that the cheap Crosley and similar turntables weren't adequate. I discovered this one when finally taking the plunge about a month ago. I bought this turntable over the Audio-Technica LP60 mainly because I knew that I could upgrade the cartridge and it had the tonearm counterweight. I have heard several friend's systems that sound incredible and some that don't sound so incredible.

I would say that this definitely has potential and honestly I love mine. I also bought some Edifier R2000DB speakers. Since I have purchased the Heyday Turntable I have made some up upgrades. I upgraded to a VM95E cartridge which improved things tremendously. I also upgraded from the platter mat to a Hudson Hi-Fi Silicone platter mat which made a nice change as well as the Hudson Big Ben weight stabilizer. I also bought some beefier gold plated cables.

The Heyday sounds great in my opinion. It has served it's purpose. I was up-gradable enough for me to get started and see if I liked it. I purchased preamp today and will see how that compares to the on-board preamp. After I bought this my son bought a LP60 and I really like this better.

Had I realized how obsessed I was going to become with this I would have probably saved up for a Fluance RT83 or purchased an vintage TT and refurbished it. For now I'm going to enjoy the setup I have. It really sounds fantastic for what it is.

btracy3535
United States of America

Post by btracy3535 » 20 Jun 2019 20:33

I'm a newbie to vinyl, but have always been intrigued by it. I knew that the cheap Crosley and similar turntables weren't adequate. I discovered this one when finally taking the plunge about a month ago. I bought this turntable over the Audio-Technica LP60 mainly because I knew that I could upgrade the cartridge and it had the tonearm counterweight. I have heard several friend's systems that sound incredible and some that don't sound so incredible.

I would say that this definitely has potential and honestly I love mine. I also bought some Edifier R2000DB speakers. Since I have purchased the Heyday Turntable I have made some up upgrades. I upgraded to a VM95E cartridge which improved things tremendously. I also upgraded from the platter mat to a Hudson Hi-Fi Silicone platter mat which made a nice change as well as the Hudson Big Ben weight stabilizer. I also bought some beefier gold plated cables.

The Heyday sounds great in my opinion. It has served it's purpose. I was up-gradable enough for me to get started and see if I liked it. I purchased preamp today and will see how that compares to the on-board preamp. After I bought this my son bought a LP60 and I really like this better.

Had I realized how obsessed I was going to become with this I would have probably saved up for a Fluance RT83 or purchased an vintage TT and refurbished it. For now I'm going to enjoy the setup I have. It really sounds fantastic for what it is.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Jun 2019 20:45

The upgrade, except for the cables, were worthwhile. The Fluance, although much more expensive, would have been an enormous upgrade.

btracy3535
United States of America

Post by btracy3535 » 21 Jun 2019 12:45

The upgrades definitely were noticeable. The cables needed to be upgraded, I think they were the thinnest RCA cables I had ever seen. I hooked the preamp up last night and honestly the built in preamp was better. I purchased the ART DJ PREII which has been pretty highly regarded as far as budget preamps go. My main issue is similar to the complaints people had about using the switch to bypass the built in preamp on the LP120. It was really noisy because there is no post to hook a ground connection from the turntable to the preamp. I might have to find a way to run one this weekend to see if that helps. I think the built in preamp is really decent, so it's not a total loss. I will gladly use this setup until I can afford an upgrade.