An epiphany...Could THIS be the turntable everyone's looking for???

snap, crackle and pop
tim_bissell
Great Britain

Re: An epiphany...Could THIS be the turntable everyone's looking for???

Post by tim_bissell » 21 Dec 2018 23:18

wrote:
21 Dec 2018 22:57
This site is like a car fanatic site that has some members that are trying to fix up an old Yugo, some talking about the challenges they are having with their multi million dollar exotic, and everything in between.
True, and the 'everyone' in the title is like a red rag to a field full of bulls :)

-- Tim

Dr_Wu
United States of America

Post by Dr_Wu » 21 Dec 2018 23:44

Ceramic brake rotors are a real thing? :D

1770_ron

Re: TARGET turntable - An epiphany...Could THIS be the turntable everyone's looking for???

Post by 1770_ron » 04 Jan 2019 20:18

I work at Target and literally was unaware that our store now produces a store-brand "Heyday" brand turntable. I don't recall our store stocking or selling any of these turntables during Christmas, though we certainly sold Crosley turntables as well as vinyl LPs, something Target hadn't sold in years.

So I came in early last night (I work in another occupation during the day, and just a couple of nights at "tar-zhay"), asked the tech guy if he had seen these. It turned out our store just received one of these Heyday turntables. Strangely, there was not a display model to look at. The box only has a glued-on label with a picture and a very brief product description, the rest of the box is white with no descriptions. Our tech guy couldn't recall if we'd sold any Heyday turntables yet, it has not been featured in the weekly ad or on Cartwheel.

I'm not in the market for an entry-level new turntable, so I'm not really the target audience for this unit (pun intended). Personally, if I was seeking an entry-level turntable, I'd wait until there were more Heyday turntable product reviews from actual users. One wishes that Michael Fremer could review the Heyday turntable, but I won't hold my breath. The unit looks nice but the big questions are quality of the spindle, motor, arm assembly, connecting wires and so forth. There are no specifications, and I think this is Target's first foray into turntable production. Stay tuned...
vinyl master wrote:
18 Dec 2018 04:17
I just came across this NEW turntable today...It has all the features you could want...Counterweight? Check! Anti-Skating Dial?? Check! Check! Removable or upgradeable cartridge??? Check! Check! Check! It also has the ability to sync with Bluetooth speakers, if you're into that sort of thing...You can use the built-in preamp, but it also gives you the option to switch to YOUR OWN preamp, should you desire...It comes with a standard Audio Technica cartridge (set to 2.5 grams in the video below), but it looks like you could upgrade to an Ortofon or any other cartridge of your choice...The kicker...It's UNDER $100, people...

BoblK

Post by BoblK » 04 Jan 2019 21:38

Dr_Wu wrote:
21 Dec 2018 23:44
Ceramic brake rotors are a real thing? :D
Yep

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jan 2019 21:53

I knew you guys would have some thoughts on this one, good or bad...At least, it keeps the discussion going and people talking...Keep in mind, too, that the rich car fanatic and the poor car fanatic DO have one thing in common...They BOTH get a kick out of driving and maintaining their respective vehicles...and having fun in the process...So, there is that! And just because I can't afford a Lamborghini/Porsche/Bentley/Insert Your Car Here, doesn't mean I can't admire the looks of one from a distance or a photo on a calendar...They're just not for me personally...

1770_ron

Post by 1770_ron » 04 Jan 2019 22:08

vinyl master wrote:
04 Jan 2019 21:53
I knew you guys would have some thoughts on this one, good or bad...At least, it keeps the discussion going and people talking...Keep in mind, too, that the rich car fanatic and the poor car fanatic DO have one thing in common...They BOTH get a kick out of driving and maintaining their respective vehicles...and having fun in the process...So, there is that! And just because I can't afford a Lamborghini/Porsche/Bentley/Insert Your Car Here, doesn't mean I can't admire the looks of one from a distance or a photo on a calendar...They're just not for me personally...
Very true. The biggest beneficiaries of the "vinyl revival" have actually been thrift stores, which now are steadily selling most of their vinyl quickly and not having to send a lot of unsold items to the dumpster. Remember the days just 15 years ago when thrift stores were just overflowing with multiple bins full of used vinyl including a lot of desirable titles in nice shape? Remember when a thrift store typically carried dozens of used turntables of all types stacked on shelves for really cheap prices? Now thrift stores can make some decent revenue from turntable sales and, once again, doesn't have to send non-selling turntables into the dumpster.

I like the idea of satisfactory-quality low-cost entry-level turntables which can expose newbies to the taste of analog LP playback, but the key is "satisfactory" in that the quality is good enough that a newbie isn't turned off by poor sound quality due to shoddy parts and assembly.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 04 Jan 2019 22:32

A lot of the thrift store stuff selling for under $25 is better, perhaps with a little elbow grease, than some of the new schlock selling for $150.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jan 2019 22:47

lenjack wrote:
04 Jan 2019 22:32
A lot of the thrift store stuff selling for under $25 is better, perhaps with a little elbow grease, than some of the new schlock selling for $150.
True, although I've rarely seen anything good for under $25 at the thrift stores...It seems the flea markets, antique shops and Craigslist are where it's at nowadays, at least for me...

That said, I did see this Electro Brand all-in-one retro system for $20 the other day at one of my thrift stores that'd be perfect kindling for the fireplace when the temps get below zero here... :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Jan 2019 22:52

1770_ron wrote:
04 Jan 2019 22:08

I like the idea of satisfactory-quality low-cost entry-level turntables which can expose newbies to the taste of analog LP playback, but the key is "satisfactory" in that the quality is good enough that a newbie isn't turned off by poor sound quality due to shoddy parts and assembly.
Again, there are some great quality cheap offerings, even from the 80's, from the likes of JVC, Sansui, Technics, Denon, Pioneer, etc. that would be fine beginner turntables and they need not cost a fortune! :)

1770_ron

Post by 1770_ron » 05 Jan 2019 01:50

vinyl master wrote:
04 Jan 2019 22:52
1770_ron wrote:
04 Jan 2019 22:08

Again, there are some great quality cheap offerings, even from the 80's, from the likes of JVC, Sansui, Technics, Denon, Pioneer, etc. that would be fine beginner turntables and they need not cost a fortune! :)
Acknowledging your point, I will note that used TTs in good working condition are not quite as cheap as they were 10 or 15 years ago. I have several myself, and personally prefer vintage turntables in good condition. The problem here is that a lot of newcomers who want to get their first turntable would prefer a brand-new unit. Some folks don't realize there are reputable shops which sell nicely-reconditioned older turntables from Technics, Dual, Yamaha and JVC, and that a properly-reconditioned oldie-but-goodie can operate beautifully for many years.

More and more of the thrift store/yard sale/swap meet turntables tend to be in need of servicing or parts, rather than really nice units which are being "dumped" as they were before 2007, which I think is when the current vinyl renaissance really started gaining ground. Remember, not everyone out there wants to spend a lot of time "fiddling" and repairing old audio gear, quite a few people who are music lovers would not to deal with installing a new phono cartridge or even replacing a worn stylus without help.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jan 2019 03:41

True. I'm saying that you could get a model cheaper if it needs some work...But, even buying one of the reconditioned tables you mention for a little more would be an ultimately better payoff than just plunking down a ton of money or the same on a cheap quality new offering (This is coming from a man who paid full retail price for both a Crosley Cruiser and a Sony PSLX-250H before finding this site...Since I happened upon several better vintage tables since then, the Crosley and Sony units have gone unused and untouched...)...Since 2013, I have personally acquired FIVE Duals, THREE Technics, TWO Harman Kardons, ONE Sansui, ONE Pioneer, ONE Philips, ONE Elac and ONE Garrard and I would put any one of them ABOVE any cheap new turntable, in terms of quality and sound...And none of them cost more than $100 or so each, with several $50 or less...Money well spent IMO! :D

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 05 Jan 2019 17:57

Getting back to the Heyday at Tarjey, I've seen a few reviews, and it's easily the best of the under $100 tables, and probably better than most of the $150 new units. Magnetic cart, counterweight, preamp, bluetooth, antiskate. Reviews from some in the know, seem to be positive. Not a world beater, but a decent starter, if you don't want to look for a good vintage unit.

Thunderbox
Canada

Post by Thunderbox » 05 Jan 2019 23:22

KentT wrote:
18 Dec 2018 13:33
Not for me. The cheapest new turntable which fully meets my needs, happens to be the Technics SL-1200G. I don't need Bluetooth, sub par build quality, iffy reliability, features I don't need or want, a tonearm with less than precision bearings, or poorly isolated from the wood floors and gimpy feet which it must live with.
That's nice but for those people who don't care to pay for a 1200G and are just starting out it looks pretty good. I think what people are really afraid of is, these might just be a good value for the dollar and therefor it makes the 1200G look less valuable. If it gets people into the vinyl hobby in any way at all I am for it because as the demand for records increases we will see prices drop because of competition. Many think the 1200G at $3800 is about as attractive as the plague. Yes that is a picture of my SL-1000 MKII to the left.

Thunderbox
Canada

Post by Thunderbox » 05 Jan 2019 23:30

vinyl master wrote:
05 Jan 2019 03:41
True. I'm saying that you could get a model cheaper if it needs some work...But, even buying one of the reconditioned tables you mention for a little more would be an ultimately better payoff than just plunking down a ton of money or the same on a cheap quality new offering (This is coming from a man who paid full retail price for both a Crosley Cruiser and a Sony PSLX-250H before finding this site...Since I happened upon several better vintage tables since then, the Crosley and Sony units have gone unused and untouched...)...Since 2013, I have personally acquired FIVE Duals, THREE Technics, TWO Harman Kardons, ONE Sansui, ONE Pioneer, ONE Philips, ONE Elac and ONE Garrard and I would put any one of them ABOVE any cheap new turntable, in terms of quality and sound...And none of them cost more than $100 or so each, with several $50 or less...Money well spent IMO! :D
I hear what you are saying and agree that a used vintage turntable may be a better buy. For a newbie who has a bluetooth speaker and no stereo set up this is marketed right where it needs to be. $100 total investment. I would say they will sell a lot of these and when and if the time is right many of those people will eventually go for something a little more technical. It's an entry level table that brings people in who previously may have had no interest in vinyl or spending a pile to get into it. Good marketing move on their part.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 06 Jan 2019 00:48

Thunderbox wrote:
05 Jan 2019 23:22
KentT wrote:
18 Dec 2018 13:33
Not for me. The cheapest new turntable which fully meets my needs, happens to be the Technics SL-1200G. I don't need Bluetooth, sub par build quality, iffy reliability, features I don't need or want, a tonearm with less than precision bearings, or poorly isolated from the wood floors and gimpy feet which it must live with.
That's nice but for those people who don't care to pay for a 1200G and are just starting out it looks pretty good. I think what people are really afraid of is, these might just be a good value for the dollar and therefor it makes the 1200G look less valuable. If it gets people into the vinyl hobby in any way at all I am for it because as the demand for records increases we will see prices drop because of competition. Many think the 1200G at $3800 is about as attractive as the plague. Yes that is a picture of my SL-1000 MKII to the left.
Cheaper which must be upgraded or replaced is no bargain. For me, lesser is not going to get the job done new.