Problem with Pioneer PLZ82

snap, crackle and pop
Radix95
Italy

Problem with Pioneer PLZ82

Post by Radix95 » 16 Dec 2018 15:13

Hi, I've tried to set up a plz82, but I have not a Pionner amplifier anymore. However, I've activate it with a small 9-volt external source, but after connecting it to external speakers, I've noticed that the sound is very very low and that the turnable start up only after the shaft is nearly beyond half the vinyl (it doesn't start at the beginning of the vinyl). Do you know how to resolve these two problems? Thank you and sorry for my bad english :)

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Problem with Pioneer PLZ82

Post by musicmn » 16 Dec 2018 19:11

Hi, first thing you will need to do is to determine what type of cartridge is on this turntable. If this turntable was part of a pioneer component system at one time then it could have a cheap ceramic cartridge on it. Or it could have a moving magnet cartridge on it. If you can determine that the cartridge is a Moving magnet type then there are a couple of things you can do. One is to buy a external phono pre amp and hook the turntable up it. Then the phono pre amp connects to what ever equipment you plan on using ( receiver, integrated amp, ect). Or if you have a set of powered speakers then the pre amp can be connected to them. You will find a bunch of info online about external phono pre amps and how they work and can be connected and how much they cost. Another way to connect a turntable so it can be listened to correctly is to connect it to a receiver or integrated amp that has a Built in phono stage. The turntable can be connected to the rca connections on the back of these where it's marked phono and the ground wire if one is present connects to the ground lug on the back of the receiver or integrated amp. Again there is a lot of info on the web about this kind of set up so take a look for that. On the problem with the turntable not starting at the beginning of a record that could be do to old dried up grease somewhere is the mechanism. This old grease will have to be removed and fresh grease applied so the lever(s) that activate the micro switch inside the turntable that turns it on and off can work correctly. I've had a couple of these Pioneer turntables come across by bench over the years. And IMO these are the biggest pieces of junk pioneer ever put it's name on. They are on par with the Crosley junk being made today and again IMO I would not spend to much time, effort or money on it. I hope this helps.