What TT upgrade is best?

snap, crackle and pop
ACDChead

What TT upgrade is best?

Post by ACDChead » 16 Dec 2018 13:58

So I’ve been using a Sansui SR-535 with Sansui AUD-7 integrated amp and equalizer to a set of B$W Matrix 802 series 3. Should I just upgrade the cartridge? I also have a Hitachi Ps-15, and an entry level ProJect, Toshiba model not known right now.
I could get a Thorens TD 125 MK 2 with an SME Tonearm and a Shure V15.
Thinking about Denon DP 57 or 60.
Looked at the Marantz TT-15S1 and Rega Plana 6 all input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks have a great holiday.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Re: What TT upgrade is best?

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 16 Dec 2018 14:36

Stay with Sansui and Hitachi, you don`t need anything better. According to new things available, you won`t find anything made on that rank, not according to what you can see in stores today.

Invest in some better cartridges, maybe different headshells. You can also invest in general overhaul of your turntables and then they will be like new.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 16 Dec 2018 14:38

I don't know the Sansui SR-535 that well but I had a look on The Vinyl Engine database.....from what I can see this looks a good turntable. The figures look good ( they don't tell everything but.....) I think if services etc this could well be the table to stick with......It is no slouch and with a cartridge well matched to the arm's effective mass and well aligned I think it could sound very good......to better it you are going to need to spend quite serious money .......I think the ones you list might get you equal performance ( plus or minus a little bit!) . However I would go with the model you have fit a goof cartridge align it well and enjoy the sound ! :D

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 16 Dec 2018 15:15

From that lot the Denon DP 60 would be my inclination. Their AC drives from that era are truly impressive.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 16 Dec 2018 15:37

No bad stuffs to chose from there. Different sonic signatures. But the most different one will be the Thorens with the SME (my vote :mrgreen: ), but one will have to accept to work on their rather specific adjustments (decoupled) and use to the maintenance of the turntable (belt, springs, oil...) is mandatory. Not to mention the more "classic" vintage look (I prefer) and their wobbly feel and assembling that don't fit everybody's idea of what a turntable and tonearm should be. I wasn't at first, I am now.

The Rega is also a belt drive evidently. But less evolutive all together, with a modern look and whose sonic signature will prove less "deep" than the Thorens even if "cleaner". Without those de-coupled "wobbly" design, like for the Marantz that I can't specifically comment, those sturdy modern belt drive turntables respond to the need to have a cleaner cartridge signal that some seek. That is how I understand the appeal for those modern belt turntables. Look and sound more "modern".

The Hitachi is likely the compromise between them Thorens and Planar/Marantz. But well reviewed for it's performance for the bucks. I'd say from a distance point of view likely the least adventurous from your selection of turntable choices. Now these belt turntables legit weak criticism point from those who defend, are used to and favor direct drive is their speed constancy and accuracy issues in comparison. Others love and want that. Or that can also be externally improved/corrected with a PSU.

The Denon's are beasts looking. Don't know them per say (hear), but I know some really love them. Maybe they have "aging" flaws that could make those pieces of complicated enginery tricky to fix... And in comparison with your actual Sansui, I am not sure as to what you would gain. The Denon tonearm effective mass might be a bit heavier than the one of your Sansui... But again, that should only affects the cartridge/tonearm resonance combination only.

ACDChead

Post by ACDChead » 16 Dec 2018 17:09

So I have a beat in a Denon DP 57L with a new better cut diamond DL 103.
From what I’ve read I’d be better of to get a good cartridge for my Sansui it’s in good working order but maybe have it serviced.

I forgot I do have a Bang and Olufsen Beogram RX which all I think it needs is a new MMC2 stylus. So do I spend money on it or the Sansui?

ACDChead

Post by ACDChead » 16 Dec 2018 17:15

Oh yeah the Denon is recapped and restored.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 16 Dec 2018 19:05

Bang&Olufsen turntables are very complicated and in many cases impossible to restore these days if something serious goes wrong. It is better to get rid of it until you can still sell it as a working unit.

ACDChead

Post by ACDChead » 16 Dec 2018 19:59

What cartridge should I go with? Ortofon blue I’ve heard good things about.
The Denon got sold

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 16 Dec 2018 20:23

You need to do a bit of work .....You need to go the the vinylengine resonance calculator ...feed in arm effective mass and cartridge compliance to work out if the cartridge you choose or want to choose is compatible with your table's arm

ACDChead

Post by ACDChead » 16 Dec 2018 22:11

So I need to weigh the Tonearm with the Headshell? What do I do once I get that?
I won’t be able to get to that until tomorrow not home at this time.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 16 Dec 2018 22:55

ACDChead wrote:
16 Dec 2018 22:11
So I need to weigh the Tonearm with the Headshell? What do I do once I get that?
I won’t be able to get to that until tomorrow not home at this time.
The calculation requires the effective mass of the tonearm, not it's weight. Perhaps you can find this value somewhere on the internet.

terry-a

Post by terry-a » 16 Dec 2018 22:56

ACDChead wrote:
16 Dec 2018 13:58
So I’ve been using a Sansui SR-535 with Sansui AUD-7 integrated amp and equalizer to a set of B$W Matrix 802 series 3. Should I just upgrade the cartridge? I also have a Hitachi Ps-15, and an entry level ProJect, Toshiba model not known right now.
I could get a Thorens TD 125 MK 2 with an SME Tonearm and a Shure V15.
Thinking about Denon DP 57 or 60.
Looked at the Marantz TT-15S1 and Rega Plana 6 all input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks have a great holiday.
Tell me about the TD125 available to you. It would be hard to turn down a nice TD125 at the right price.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 17 Dec 2018 14:50

ACDChead wrote:
16 Dec 2018 19:59
What cartridge should I go with? Ortofon blue I’ve heard good things about.
The Denon got sold
2M 'Blue' are descent and on the medium toward high compliance scale. So a good fit for your Sansui tonearm I believe. Unless you were thinking of the Ortofon Cadenza 'Blue' :shock: That is more of the medium in the medium compliance that would match definitely a TD125... + SME3009 tonearm... What a combo that would be ! On another budget all the same.

Don't feel so bad for the Denon. They do pop-up. If you're in with the TD125, you'll hear something really else.