Dual 1010F - Ground Wire, and right channel sound issue with MM cart

snap, crackle and pop
GameOver69

Dual 1010F - Ground Wire, and right channel sound issue with MM cart

Post by GameOver69 » 16 Dec 2018 04:14

Hi,

I have a grunding 1010F that is in my Grundig stereo console...solid state. I have installed a shure m44e cart, used a working existing Pro-ject Phono Box MM preamp, and bought all the wires needed for everything to work. I have a few issues with this setup at the moment and I'm hoping someone can Help.

First issue is the humming. The turntable doesn't seem to have a grounding wire. This is a TT that originally came with a cermaic cartridge, and is original to the console. I'm not sure if that requires grounding. So, if it doesnt indeed have one, what is my best option to ground the TT to the preamp and get rid of the hum.

My second issue with this setup is that the audio from the right speaker is very faint. Left comes in very loud. Swap l&r cables around and it reverses. I know this preamp works properly as I have used it before. The 1010 doesn't have a proper rca cable coming from the TT. Instead it uses a 5 pin din male, that would then go directly into a female input in the grundig console. I purchased a 5 pin din female to rca for input to the preamp and then rca to 5 pin din male for output from the preamp to the console. The sound issue seems specific to the cart on this particular TT as I remove the cables and preamp from the equation, and I still have the same issue (cranking volume the way up of course). The cartridge is good as it works fine on my dual 1019 with the same preamp. TT is good because with the ceramic cart it works as it should on the 1010F.

Those are my issues and hopefully they can be resolved. If not I guess I'll stick with the ceramic cart. Any Help is most appreciated.

Thanks!!

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Dual 1010F - Ground Wire, and right channel sound issue with MM cart

Post by Spinner45 » 16 Dec 2018 05:44

The 1010F uses an inexpensive TWO-pole motor, not suitable for using a magnetic cartridge.
Wasn't designed for them.

GameOver69

Post by GameOver69 » 16 Dec 2018 05:53

Well I fixed both issues.. seems one of the pins on the cartridge sled was messed up. Used mine from the 1019 just for testing. Right channel now works properly and hum has mysteriously disappeared...

I get the channel working, but the hum gone too? Any thoughts? Should I still try and ground... If so what would be best.

Also, I understand it may not be suitable but I must say it sounds much better now then it did before with the ceramic cart.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 16 Dec 2018 12:18

You may want to visit the Dual Forum for tips.

Sometimes hum is caused by bad connections at the cartridge, headshell or RCA wires gone bad from flexing but Spinner is right about the two pole motors probably being the issue. I don't know if you can swap out a 4 pole motor but someone in the Dual Forum should know.

The original headshells for this series are often long in the tooth and finicky. They are over 50 years old by now and many have issues.

GameOver69

Post by GameOver69 » 16 Dec 2018 15:38

Thanks for that info. I already placed an order from Pat's Audio for a TK-12 cartridge holder. Might order a second for my 1019 as well.

Everything seems ok now with my configuration and am very happy with the sound. Ultimately. Though, I would like to know if I need grounding from the turntable to the preamp or I don't have to even worry about it as I hear no discernable hum now.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 16 Dec 2018 17:01

GameOver69 wrote:
16 Dec 2018 15:38
Thanks for that info. I already placed an order from Pat's Audio for a TK-12 cartridge holder. Might order a second for my 1019 as well.

Everything seems ok now with my configuration and am very happy with the sound. Ultimately. Though, I would like to know if I need grounding from the turntable to the preamp or I don't have to even worry about it as I hear no discernable hum now.
While running, turn up the volume loud, and slowly bring the tonearm across the spinning platter.
If you hear an increase in a hum level, that would be the two pole motor radiating its magnetic field.
And that's not nice for music.

bhuston
United States of America

Post by bhuston » 16 Dec 2018 18:57

To answer your grounding question. you didn't specify which pin was the culprit but you did fix both issues with that pin. I'm going to venture that it was the ground pin because some older TT's used the right ground wire as the TT ground. That open ground will cause both conditions. Don't over analyze it, if it sounds good, enjoy.

GameOver69

Post by GameOver69 » 18 Dec 2018 06:03

Spinner45 wrote:
16 Dec 2018 17:01
GameOver69 wrote:
16 Dec 2018 15:38

While running, turn up the volume loud, and slowly bring the tonearm across the spinning platter.
If you hear an increase in a hum level, that would be the two pole motor radiating its magnetic field.
And that's not nice for music.
No hum at all when moving the tonearm over a spinning platter.