To clamp or not to clamp?

snap, crackle and pop
Jdurr

To clamp or not to clamp?

Post by Jdurr » 14 Dec 2018 23:31

What say you?

Do you use a record clamp or not?

I have heard good and bad stories. Let's hear yours .....

thanks,
J

Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: To clamp or not to clamp?

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Dec 2018 00:42

Ok, it's like this.......
Ready?
People have been playing records on revolving platters for how many decades now?
Merely placing (or letting them drop on a changer unit) them on the platter, and letting the stylus/needle entertain them.
Which in fact, was the "bottom line" of the whole thing.

Then, came along the obsessed, critical, nit-picking, overly concerned "audiophile", who just wasn't satisfied with that simple process, oh no... we must not live like some common barbarian.
And low and behold, a plethora of odd, funny, amusing, stupid, and confusing rituals started to rear their little heads.....

It's turned the simple act of playing a common record into a monsterously complex affair.
The common housewife might now require some college education before stepping foot into a record store...
Some "warm up" their equipment for hours, just to hear music....(tubes and such should be properly seasoned to enable that fluid music to flow forth...

"Hey Jerry!... stop over this evening to hear that new jazz album I got... I'm warming up the system in the afternoon, Oh, and I cooked my cables down last week too, it'll be a swell time!"

Others consult with endless self-endorsed others, usually online, to gain some solace about the whole idea of record playing... (whew!... I didn't know that 0.002 degrees of VTF and protractor alignment could make such a difference in that symphony record!)

And through all this, it keeps the manufacturers of various "products" and "accessories" happy that the enormous spread of rumors, hints, suggestions, and warnings are enough to keep that cash-flow going.
Of course, in their heads, minds, the human can see and hear the differences that hours, days, weeks expose in releasing that wonderful music that was destined to caress their delicate eardrums.

I never needed to clamp anything, no.

Big_Walleye

Post by Big_Walleye » 15 Dec 2018 01:01

Spinner45 wrote:
15 Dec 2018 00:42
Ok, it's like this.......
Ready?
People have been playing records on revolving platters for how many decades now?
Merely placing (or letting them drop on a changer unit) them on the platter, and letting the stylus/needle entertain them.
Which in fact, was the "bottom line" of the whole thing.

Then, came along the obsessed, critical, nit-picking, overly concerned "audiophile", who just wasn't satisfied with that simple process, oh no... we must not live like some common barbarian.
And low and behold, a plethora of odd, funny, amusing, stupid, and confusing rituals started to rear their little heads.....

It's turned the simple act of playing a common record into a monsterously complex affair.
The common housewife might now require some college education before stepping foot into a record store...
Some "warm up" their equipment for hours, just to hear music....(tubes and such should be properly seasoned to enable that fluid music to flow forth...

"Hey Jerry!... stop over this evening to hear that new jazz album I got... I'm warming up the system in the afternoon, Oh, and I cooked my cables down last week too, it'll be a swell time!"

Others consult with endless self-endorsed others, usually online, to gain some solace about the whole idea of record playing... (whew!... I didn't know that 0.002 degrees of VTF and protractor alignment could make such a difference in that symphony record!)

And through all this, it keeps the manufacturers of various "products" and "accessories" happy that the enormous spread of rumors, hints, suggestions, and warnings are enough to keep that cash-flow going.
Of course, in their heads, minds, the human can see and hear the differences that hours, days, weeks expose in releasing that wonderful music that was destined to caress their delicate eardrums.

I never needed to clamp anything, no.
Lol. Yup. There's a lot of snake oil salesmen out there.

Jdurr

Post by Jdurr » 15 Dec 2018 01:51

Well, I certainly got your point ......

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 15 Dec 2018 02:28

I have a linear tracking system that doesn't allow any clamping device. Another NO answer.

GrumpyBob

Post by GrumpyBob » 15 Dec 2018 05:47

Been playing LPs since 1977, never used a clamp (or weight) once.

Robert

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Dec 2018 06:48

I thought about purchasing a record clamp once, but bought some gasoline for the car instead.
Then, I was thinking that I was going to buy a record clamp, but enjoyed a nice meal instead.
The last time, thinking that the record clamp hadn't really been missed, I bought three nice new records.
It has often occurred to me that there are more important things than record clamps. So, NO, I haven't bought one. :lol:

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Dec 2018 06:49

I thought about purchasing a record clamp once, but bought some gasoline for the car instead.
Then, I was thinking that I was going to buy a record clamp, but enjoyed a nice meal instead.
The last time, thinking that the record clamp hadn't really been missed, I bought three nice new records.
It has often occurred to me that there are more important things than record clamps. So, NO, I haven't bought one. :lol:

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Dec 2018 06:53

Sorry, duplicate post.....

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 15 Dec 2018 10:01

I got given a clamp once - came with a turntable I bought - used it maybe a dozen times,not a blind bit of difference and a pain in the b--- to boot :roll:
So another NO.
What's wrong with the simple pleasure of listening to music.

Another useless gadget to acquire and fill our homes with.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 15 Dec 2018 13:18

I use a record clamp to tame the warp in some of my records.

Other than that, I spin them "naked".

Best from the Pampas,

roberto

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Post by Landolaman1 » 15 Dec 2018 13:39

But they do make exceedingly good door stops!

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 15 Dec 2018 13:53

I have a copy of the original Osibisa album with a horrendous warp on it which absolutely nothing would have any effect on,fortunately my cartridges ride it with no problem - so no worries :D
Mission 774 original/Denon DL304
Roksan Nima/Empire REX440D

tketcham

Post by tketcham » 15 Dec 2018 14:00

Hi, Jdurr,

I don't usually bother participating in discussions about record clamps because there are so many opinions about using them or not that it becomes an exercise in futile debate. However, since this thread seems to be dominated by people that think they're pretty much useless, I'm going to chime in...

I use them because after some experimenting with different clamps (original equipment on the turntables I own) I came to the conclusion that using a clamp has enough sonic benefit to use them. Subtle benefits, not the over-the-top hyperbole that some people claim. The clamps do seem to help stabilize the record and minimize vibrations that can cause added background noise and blur bass notes.

Opinions on whether to use a clamp or not shouldn't make any difference to you. Everyone's stereo system, setup, and acoustic space is different so those opinions are very specific to the situation. You need to find out for yourself if they're worth using with your setup.

Regards,
Tom
Last edited by tketcham on 15 Dec 2018 14:01, edited 2 times in total.

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by markcass » 15 Dec 2018 14:00

Hi

I think if a turntable is designed to be used with a clamp, one should probably do so - although there's no harm in trying it without in case one prefers the sound that way (or it makes no difference). In such a case the clamp would probably be supplied with the deck.

I did buy a Systemdek clamp for use with my old Systemdek II, which came without it as standard. I found that the deck could be a bit 'splashy' in the treble without it, when the original Linn LVV arm was fitted. Perhaps clamping the record to the platter and mat added a bit of damping. An upgrade to the arm reduced or eliminated this effect, so I no longer needed to use the clamp. Much more convenient!

Mark