Pulling up a seat at the turntable.. [New User]

snap, crackle and pop
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Pulling up a seat at the turntable.. [New User]

Post by vinyl master » 15 Dec 2018 12:22

Oh, and regarding the Stanton, it's a nice one...I've bought from turntableneedles.com before and they have this...

https://www.turntableneedles.com/Genuin ... _1618.html

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 15 Dec 2018 12:41

Pillows_of_Death wrote:
14 Dec 2018 19:58
I think it's the stock tonearm.
Like this ? If so it seems to be of medium effective mass.
Capture d’écran 2018-12-15 à 13.38.00.jpg
(49.21 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Pillows_of_Death
United States of America

Post by Pillows_of_Death » 16 Dec 2018 01:38

Yep! Looks exactly like it.

Pillows_of_Death
United States of America

Post by Pillows_of_Death » 21 Dec 2018 07:09

I have acquired the Kenwood KR-3600!

I want to update the power supplies now for both the KR and the TT, get the wiring to the speakers and perform an initial test with the existing cartridge/arm.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Dec 2018 07:39

Congratulations! It should be a fine addition once all is updated! Keep us posted! :D

Pillows_of_Death
United States of America

Post by Pillows_of_Death » 27 Dec 2018 02:07

Hooked everything up last night and it all works great! Now I'm looking to modernize power cords with a ground.

Listened to some Hall & Oats, Mamas and Papas, Jefferson Airplane. Thank you to everyone who helped so far and to those who will continue, I don't think I could have accomplished this without the assistance.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 27 Dec 2018 02:34

I'm passing this along from another forum, because it just came up there and goes into way more detail than I would have been able to do:

"On grounding OEM-ungrounded equipment:

In a word, don't!
Ground loops will introduce hum.
Depending on the design of the system, and if your neutral and ground are not at the (exact) same potential, you could introduce stray (but typically) small voltages into the system.

Pretty much everyone should already be familiar with this - but I will belabor the obvious. NOTE: some of our Euro participants may cringe in horror - but...
All your audio equipment (within a single system) should be on the same line.
That line should be dedicated, and go straight back to the panel.
That line should be a minimum of 12 gauge, with all three conductors of the same gauge.
When measured with an accurate VOM, the AC voltage from HOT to Neutral and HOT to Ground should be _exactly_ the same.
If outboard grounding is used (individual chassis to ground), then all grounds must go to a single point (Star Ground), and NOT be a daisy-chain.
DO NOT ground a phono ground to the receiver/amplifier chassis ground. Instead, solder it to one of the RCA jack headshells. Traditionally, (AR, Thorens, Dual) that would be the left headshell, but it may be either.
It is entirely legitimate to replace a line cord with a polarized line-cord connecting the HOT to the switch. But, consider that if your equipment has back-panel receptacles, they may not accept a polarized plug. There is a reason for this, by the way - and it was not cost.
At the end of the process, it is always a good idea to take a reading from the chassis-to-known-good-ground for each piece of equipment. Anything more than a very few MV, get checking as to why? "

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 27 Dec 2018 02:47

Yes...do not add any grounds. If you do have a hum problem, it is permissible to reverse Non polarized 2 prong AC power plugs, to listen for any improvement.