Show us your unique turntable or record player!

snap, crackle and pop
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Show us your unique turntable or record player!

Post by vinyl master » 31 Dec 2018 00:01

Then, we have this cute little Symphonic Model 1223...Suitcase turntables are nothing new, you know...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Dec 2018 00:06

And then, a couple of really cool finds! I know you know about Lionel trains, but I'll bet you a pound to a pinch that you didn't know they made turntables! This is a Spear Tone 42000 model in orange...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Dec 2018 00:19

How about a turntable for when you go hunting fowl and game? :-k Then you need a WE Call Of The Wild outdoor record player with an included microphone...Come to think of it, I have a few moose and duck call records that would be the perfect accompaniment to something like this...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Dec 2018 00:23

Now, this isn't a record player per se but it does qualify as unusual...a rare little Sears reel cassette player with included speakers...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Dec 2018 00:26

And then, back to one that has me drooling a little...This is another Pioneer, but a very early one...It just looks so cute, yet looks like it could handle a few 45's without hesitation...Ladies and gentlemen, the Pioneer PL-6a! =P~

Stylish, ain't it??? :)

And when was the last time you saw a cream-colored Pioneer in a plinth like that??? :-k

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Dec 2018 00:28

If you guys want to see more, I'll keep updating this thread from time to time...In the meantime, enjoy the pics! If you can add any info about my unusual finds, feel free! :D

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 31 Dec 2018 02:39

vinyl master wrote:
31 Dec 2018 00:26
And then, back to one that has me drooling a little...This is another Pioneer, but a very early one...It just looks so cute, yet looks like it could handle a few 45's without hesitation...Ladies and gentlemen, the Pioneer PL-6a! =P~

Stylish, ain't it??? :)

And when was the last time you saw a cream-colored Pioneer in a plinth like that??? :-k
Nice.
Methnks that looks like an idler-drive model too!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Dec 2018 03:58

You're right, Spinner...It does have an idler wheel! :)

Wow, I didn't even know Pioneer made an idler model... :shock: I guess I've always separated my TT's into Duals as favorite idlers, Sansuis/Pioneers as favorite belt-drives and Technics for direct drive supremacy...That's why it's so interesting to see some of these other drives and models those brands made...

By the way, Spinner...Since you've obviously worked on many models in your time, can you share any more unusual machines you've worked on? Got any pics, too? :-k

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 31 Dec 2018 05:23

Pioneer's idler drive tables are primarily sold in Japan. There is also 3 and 4 speed Pioneer idler tables, such as the predecessor to your pic VM. The first PL6 (model number reused later) had 4 speeds and go for crazy money in Japan. It is nice that the headshell is SME compatible. I have no idea if they were good, but any table that can use a magnetic cartridge, play 4 speeds and have torque for using the brush to clean a disc is tops in my books.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 31 Dec 2018 07:38

vinyl master wrote:
31 Dec 2018 03:58
You're right, Spinner...It does have an idler wheel! :)

Wow, I didn't even know Pioneer made an idler model... :shock: I guess I've always separated my TT's into Duals as favorite idlers, Sansuis/Pioneers as favorite belt-drives and Technics for direct drive supremacy...That's why it's so interesting to see some of these other drives and models those brands made...

By the way, Spinner...Since you've obviously worked on many models in your time, can you share any more unusual machines you've worked on? Got any pics, too? :-k
Unfortunately, photos are not available, for many, just fleeting memories in my head (and some youtube videos mentioned below)
I, being busy in the shop, didn't have the time to photograph things - much of which was before the advent of digital cameras.
But rest assured, I did work on just about every consumer and professional model through the decades.
Including several jukebox brands - Seeburg, Rok-ola, Wurlitzer, AMI, etc.
Those were fun, and caused plenty of scraped knuckes and cussing.

As for unusual machines, I was a local servicer for the tabletop coin-op Music Mite players, the Ristocrat machines, both being 45RPM only machines.
You'd be amazed at the mechanisms in those units - I betcha no one on here could overhaul those Rube Goldberg contraptions.
Look them up on youtube and see them.
I believe several of the Music Mite videos posted by customers mentioned my name even.
I might still have some fairly recent pics on CD rom disks somewhere.
When I get less lazy, I'll hunt them down.

After a while, I didn't even need to pull the SM from the file cabinet - once you've done so many, you can do them blindfolded.
When Gary Stork started his site, we of course became friends, and I even prompted him to some errors on his site, along with suggesting some things, and it's great that his business bloomed.
He comes in handy for a lot of stuff.
And he's even listed me as an authorized VM servicer.

And I honed my "craft" well over time, insisting on quality work, making sure whatever it was, the customer (or me, even) never had to fuss with repairs again.
My "fan base" recognized this too, hell, I get Christmas cards and notes every year, review sites spreading my name around, it's all good.

But not just turntables/changers, but including amps, receivers, tape machines, video, the whole nine yards - ya gotta be diversified or why bother.

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled program..... :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jan 2019 07:51

Alrighty then...I just saw this on my local Craigslist...Would it have held a record player or is this just a box for records? It's a Zenith Tune Box from 1976... :-k

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 09 Jan 2019 08:11

Methinks the Zenith box was a tube caddy, but I bet tapes would go nicely inside.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jan 2019 08:47

Hmmm...As Arte Johnson would say...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jan 2019 08:56

In any case, I thought you guys might like to see a few more...Here is a Carrera LT-120 linear tracker...An unusual brand that you don't hear of too often...

Last edited by vinyl master on 09 Jan 2019 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jan 2019 08:57

Here is a Kenwood KD-600...An odd one with the straight arm...

Last edited by vinyl master on 09 Jan 2019 09:27, edited 1 time in total.