phew!

snap, crackle and pop
kramer
Great Britain

phew!

Post by kramer » 07 Dec 2018 14:45

Just been moving gear around and was trying out a two turntable set up and after much grunting and swapping around several times (cables to short etc) I powered up my main deck .... only one channel :shock:

After 30 mins of frantic cartridge swapping and trying different inputs I was about to pull the deck apart to check for loose wiring, but then I realised I'd not tried different phono cables... bingo! both channels working.

This is the first time I've had a problem with cables and I recall that this particular set of Ixos cables were a bit on the tight side and sometimes I resorted to yanking on the cables.... you're way ahead of me?

So stating the blindly obvious, only one channel working? first try some more cables and don't play tug of war with phono cables :oops:

01.jpg
(227.52 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Re: phew!

Post by Legrace » 07 Dec 2018 15:26

Good advice. Overly tight RCA's are the devils work. :twisted:

tcolegrove

Post by tcolegrove » 07 Dec 2018 15:46

I've gotten into the habit of giving the connector a bit of a twist when removing them. Guess what caused me to do that... :)

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 07 Dec 2018 15:51

I keep a small pair of needle nose pliers handy. If the fit is too tight when placing an RCA plug on a socket, I bend the tabs slightly. I also add a slight bend for RCA plugs that are too loose.