Newbie here! Just got some stuff and wanted to share

snap, crackle and pop
jxrojas
Argentina

Newbie here! Just got some stuff and wanted to share

Post by jxrojas » 07 Dec 2018 04:00

Hey guys,

Getting into collecting records and building a beginner rig has been a long wanted dream of mine. Thanks to a juicy performance bonus I found myself with enough coin to get me started.

I just wanted to post here for the first time as the different posts (quite a few I must say, some really interesting discussions going on) I've read over the last week or so have been so helpful! So after considering going new vs used vintage, I decided to move forward with the later.

Doing some digging around I found a fully working, excellent condition Akai ap-206c direct-drive semi-automatic at sale for a good price (~US160). I live in Argentina, so stuff like this usually costs twice as much as in the US or Europe and I thought it was an excellent condition. It came with its original cartridge, an Akai PC-100 equipped with an RS-100 stylus. Doing some research, I read some really good reviews of this cartridge/stylus combo. Nevertheless, I decided to replace it with an Audio-Technica AT95e (good performance, while not breaking the bank as cartridges here in AR go for almost twice as much as in the US). I've kept the original cartridge and I'm thinking I might replace the stylus and get myself another headshell for a quick change should I be in the mood for a different sound.

I also got a custom-made phono preamp from a local sound engineer I was referenced to by a few guys.

Right now the weak link in my setup is my stereo receiver and speakers which I'll surely upgrade when I have enough budget.

I've added a few images for your leisure.

Additionally, I'd like to ask for your advice as to upgrading my stereo + speaker setup. I'll probably set aside a budget of ~US300 for this, but I have little to no knowledge on this area.

Thank you all in advance!
IMG_2471.jpg
(143.92 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
IMG_2472.jpg
(102.13 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
IMG_2473.jpg
(108.67 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
IMG_2474.jpg
(80.61 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Newbie here! Just got some stuff and wanted to share

Post by Tonybro » 07 Dec 2018 08:09

Welcome!

That looks to be a nice table...

Enjoy 😀

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 07 Dec 2018 09:32

Welcome to the site. Those certainly some high prices you have to cope with for gear. I recently struggled over buying an Akai AP-D33, in good overall shape, including a stylus missing Shure M70B, for only $45 Cdn. I decided to let it go, since it was not up to the standards of my other tables. It would be a very nice starting table for someone just getting into the hobby though. Enjoy the equipment you have, improve as you can, and enjoy the music! :D

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 07 Dec 2018 09:53

Welcome, nice looking turntable.

Ghaasl
United States of America

Post by Ghaasl » 07 Dec 2018 13:07

Welcome to VE! Good looking table you have there.

Bufo Bill
Great Britain

Post by Bufo Bill » 07 Dec 2018 22:50

Welcome, nice deck and very good photos too:-)
Be warned, you're on the road to a new hobby, it's not just the music that's addictive!
Bill.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 08 Dec 2018 00:43

.......Right now the weak link in my setup is my stereo receiver and speakers........
What kind of receiver do you have ?

BTW, here is the service manual, etc for your TT. :)
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/akai/ap-206.shtml

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 08 Dec 2018 01:42

The Akai PC-100 is basically a variant of a Piezo YM-308. I have the Akai PC-100 and a Spectrum version that take the same replacement stylus and have had 3 kicks at getting a good replacement stylus. Not sure if your original stylus is in good shape but getting started the 95e is a very solid choice.

What is your receiver? If it is decent you are further ahead putting the funds into the best speakers you can find (IMHO anyway!)

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 08 Dec 2018 01:56

I agree, if the receive is decent, your money is better spent on better speakers .

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 08 Dec 2018 04:08

I'll jump in here as well. Practically everything else in the stream is marginal gain, the speakers are the big enchilada, interpreting and presenting the sum total of all of the other smaller inputs. As long as the receiver or amp is doing it's job...focus on the inputs and outputs, where the real satisfaction comes from. And don't sweat the obtuse details of specs....listen to and enjoy the music. =D>

jxrojas
Argentina

Post by jxrojas » 08 Dec 2018 04:28

Hey guys! Thanks a lot for your feedback! I’m very happy with my starting setup and I feel that this has been money well spent.

As for receiver and speakers... I feel *ashamed* to say this but I’m running this deck through a Sony Genezi DAV-DZ7T home theater system with its stock speakers. I wonder whether I can upgrade speakers using the current receiver and upgrade the receiver further down the road?

Right now this setup allows me to enjoy vinyls but I’m sure if I pair this turntable and phono preamp with a decent receiver and speakers I will really notice a big change.

Thank you all once again!

Jon