Td166 cartridge wiring

snap, crackle and pop
KawasakiKen
Great Britain

Td166 cartridge wiring

Post by KawasakiKen » 06 Dec 2018 19:24

Hi, I'm new to the forum, have just been given a Thorens TD166 MkII with, I guess, the original Thorens black tube tone arm, a Stanton 500-II cartridge and a D5100AL-II stylus. I am setting it up with the Help of all the advice online, but am puzzled by the cartridge wiring! Red is going to lower left white, blue to lower right red, white to upper left green and green ground to upper right blue!! Is there any possible reason why this would be so totally wrong??

Also, I am wondering whether I can determine the state of the stylus withou risking damaging the records, or is that not a risk?

Thanks for any illumination!

Ken.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Td166 cartridge wiring

Post by musicmn » 06 Dec 2018 20:42

Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like the cartridge wiring is all messed up. Just match up the same color cartridge wires to the correct color pins on the back of the cartridge. Unless someone installed new rca cables and messed up those and then had to change the layout of the cartridge wires. It sounds like someone just didn't know what they were doing. You can always check the wiring by using a digital volt meter to check the continuity of the wires. And also to make sure everything is wired correctly. I hope this helps.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 06 Dec 2018 22:33

Yo KawasakiKen:

I agree with musicmn, but I have a little more to contribute. Like him, I think your headshell wiring may be incorrect. Here is what I think you should do to take care of problems. First, plug the unit into the phono input of your stereo amp and play it. Given how you describe the way this thing is wired, my guess is that you will hear sound but that it will be really thin because your cart is wired out of phase. You may even have a dead channel. Now, here is what you do to fix it: Take a pair of needlenose pliers and pull all the clips off all the cartridge pins.

Now take a cheap continuity tester or a cheap $10.00 digital multimeter (or a good ohmmeter if you have one) and set it for resistance . Then measure between the red wire and the center pin of the right RCA plug. Should measure zero or very low ohms. Measure between the white wire and the center pin of the other RCA plug. Should measure low ohms or no ohms. Measure between the green wire and the outer ring of the right RCA plug. Should measure low ohms or no ohms. Then finally measure between the blue wire and the outer ring of the left RCA plug. Should measure low ohms or no ohms. If these are the measurements you get, then your headshell and turntable is wired correctly. All you need to do is hook the red wire to the right signal pin of cartridge, the green wire to the right ground pin of cartridge, the white wire to the left signal pin of cartridge, and the blue wire to the left ground pin of cartridge. This will get you full sound.

If you do not get the resistance measurements I just described, then start with the center pin of the right RCA plug and test all the headshell leads until you get the one with continuity and identify its color. This is right signal. Follow the same procedure and identify the color for each center pin and each outer ring. Once you have them identified, you will be able to put the newly identified wires on the correct cartridge pins.

If you don't have a multimeter, you can just pull the clips off the pins and hook red to right signal pin, green to right ground pin, white to left signal pin and blue to left ground pin and hope for the best.

And good luck from the old pin-puller and multimeter measurer,

Joe Z.

KawasakiKen
Great Britain

Post by KawasakiKen » 07 Dec 2018 00:40

Thanks guys,

It's a bit late now here in Cornwall, UK, but will check out with multimeter tomorrow.

Ken

KawasakiKen
Great Britain

Re: Td166 cartridge

Post by KawasakiKen » 08 Dec 2018 13:38

Hi Musicmn and Joe,

Didn't get to look at wiring yesterday, but just done so and you're both right...just hooked up totally wrong!!

Also checked cartridge alignment with piece of white card, hole for spindle and pencil line (don't see the need to spend out for protractor?). Then checked horizontal deck and platter azimuth, which needed some spring adjustment, but nearly potentially destroyed the tone arm assembly, as forgot to remove platter when tilting turntable up on its right side!!?? Somebody was looking down and after me, as platter didn't drop off into tone arm!! I offered up a Thank You!

Just waiting for bubble level in post to check cartridge azimuth, and rca cables for pre-amp to my aux input on my Philips Micro System (low-end, I know, but sounds ok to me with CDs!) then all systems go, one hopes!!

Any advice on cleaning vinyl...lots of conflicting stuff on YouTube. When I first bought hi-fi in my twenties (74 now), the salesman sold me on a wet-brush system, the fluid for which cost a packet, and the records would crackle and pop ever after if you didn't use the wet brush!! Supposedly cleaned the grooves and kept the stylus cool!!

Cheers guys, and thanks again.

Ken

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 08 Dec 2018 14:26

You don't have to spend out on a protractor. Look here; it's free.
https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-a ... tors.shtml

Cheers,
Alec

KawasakiKen
Great Britain

Post by KawasakiKen » 09 Dec 2018 22:23

Thanks Alec, but surely if my deck has a factory-fitted arm it will have the optimum length and overhang, so I only need to ensure the cartridge is tangential to the groove at start and finish, which it is, just using a radial pencil line!??

Regards, Ken

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 09 Dec 2018 23:04

Hello,

You will find the stylus is tangential to the grooves at 2 points, but they will not be at the beginning and the end of the record!

If you don't want to download a free protractor from this site (?) then the best option is to align the cartridge in the head shell so the stylus is tangential to the grooves at the end track of an LP. This minimises distortion where is is most troublesome. The other null point will look after itself, though likely to be somewhere like 1/4 of the way in from the start. This is a good approximation to a Stevenson protractor and perfectly fine. If you really need to know where the outer null point falls, use the protractor.

Mike.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 10 Dec 2018 03:07

turntable headshells have slots or slides, to accommodate different cartridges.
Use the protractor.
A 2-point protractor can be used with any arm.
With a 2-point protractor, set the stylus on the crosshairs of the outer grid, and square the cartridge to it.
Move to the inner grid, stylus on crosshairs.
If the cartridge angles toward the middle of the record, move it forward a bit, and start over.
If the cartridge angles away from the middle of the record, move it back a bit, and start over.
When the cartridge sits squarely in both grids, stylus on crosshairs, you are done.

Cheers,
Alec

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 10 Dec 2018 03:24

Yo KawasikiKen:

When you print the Thorens protractor, make sure that your arm is one that has the 215.6 mm distance from the turntable spindle to the center of the arm pivot. If you arm meets this spec, then be sure that you print out the protractor using the "actual size" choice in the print window, which will appear when you press "control p" on the PDF of the Thorens protractor. Then be sure that the AA' measurement is exactly 140 mm, and that the B'B measurement is exactly 200 MM. If these measurements are not exactly correct, the protractor won't work.

Then, put the stylus on the line and be sure that the stylus stays on the line from end to end. You will have to move it in and out to get this to happen. Finally, make sure that the cartridge is square with the cross hatch pattern when the stylus is on the li9ne in the cross hatch area.

This will get you properly aligned with proper overhang. You will also have to align for azumith by making sure that the top of arm is parallel with surface of record when you are playing a record. I used this protractor when I removed the TP 13A arm off my TD150 and mounted it on my Garrard 301, and it worked just fine for me. I just made sure that it was mounted 215.6 mm from the center spindle.

And good luck from the old arm transplanter,

Joe Z.