SME Frankenstein

snap, crackle and pop
starterwiz

SME Frankenstein

Post by starterwiz » 06 Dec 2018 05:54

I bought what I thought was a Series II improved a decade or so ago. But it didn’t fit my tables.
Turns out it is a 10” arm, but it has the Series II imp counterweight.
Was there ever such a thing? I could turn it back into a 9” with a new arm tube, or should I get the heaviest weight and make it a thing?
Or do I have a rare beast?

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: SME Frankenstein

Post by tlscapital » 06 Dec 2018 08:03

Never heard of that one. You say the Series II but you mean the 'Improved' counterweight ? You say you can't fit but why exactly is that ?

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 07 Dec 2018 01:23

Looks to be a Japanese version, probably sold only in Japan, so yeah might be rare.

http://www.tonepublications.com/old-sch ... 9-tonearm/

Definitely keep it as it is, otherwise you destroy the resale value. And there is more physics and engineering than most would imagine being involved behind a simple tube.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 07 Dec 2018 11:37

Solist wrote:
07 Dec 2018 01:23
Looks to be a Japanese version, probably sold only in Japan, so yeah might be rare.

http://www.tonepublications.com/old-sch ... 9-tonearm/

Definitely keep it as it is, otherwise you destroy the resale value. And there is more physics and engineering than most would imagine being involved behind a simple tube.
Good detective work, but the OP would have mentioned it being "gold" I would have thought. There are indeed different interesting Japanese limited editions variants. But if it's a "frankenstein" resurrection between an 'Improved" and a 3010 'R' I hope it's counter weight can handle the heavier effective mass with heavier carts...

However, unless they are of the first series ("round" instead of "pike" vertical bearing housing) due to the fact that they are rarer and more "valuable" in their original "shape", I truly approve any good tweak in improvement and adaptation on those SME3009/12 tonearms as they have that real potential in them.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 07 Dec 2018 20:22

Yes the light counterweight got me thinking too, maybe the previous owner switched the counterweights by mistake or who knows. Often when I hear someone has an SME it is not just one :D

Agree on tweaking things, but SME is sacred stuff for me.

totem
Canada

Post by totem » 08 Dec 2018 19:02

the OP would have mentioned it being "gold" I would have thought.
I believe these arms were designated as series "R" and reproduced in honour of
the first SME series I arms which used a different arm tube material than the later versions.

Gold colour was not a prerequiset for this series. The JDM market was the reason these were reproduced.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 08 Dec 2018 21:31

totem wrote:
08 Dec 2018 19:02
the OP would have mentioned it being "gold" I would have thought.
I believe these arms were designated as series "R" and reproduced in honour of
the first SME series I arms which used a different arm tube material than the later versions.

Gold colour was not a prerequiset for this series. The JDM market was the reason these were reproduced.
The 'R' series have a more similar counterweights to the pre-improved SME's yet all together have another stub attachement system to either once again. And the OP was referring the the 'Improved' counterweights.

And yes, the pre-'Improved' as the 'Improved' SME's have alloy wand/tube wands and the 'R' are made of steel. This is why if one intend to upgrade the nylon knife edge, steel knife works best on alloy and bronze on steel.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 08 Dec 2018 21:47

starterwiz wrote:
06 Dec 2018 05:54
I bought what I thought was a Series II improved a decade or so ago. But it didn’t fit my tables.
Turns out it is a 10” arm, but it has the Series II imp counterweight.
Was there ever such a thing? I could turn it back into a 9” with a new arm tube, or should I get the heaviest weight and make it a thing?
Or do I have a rare beast?
Come to think of it... My SME3009 'Improved' S II (fixed headshell) that I got fitted on a supposedly Thorens TD160 'Super' turned out to have been tweaked in before as it was that only on the outside and a TD146 inside. I was not in those "vintage" phono gear known then and I only wondered further into it the day I started my DIY geek tweaks in conversion and upgrades on a tight budget.

And my first tweak operation was the conversion of my SME into a detachable headshell one... Now that changes it's effective length, overhang... But not to worry as I play my 7" (mainly) with my Denon DL-102 cartridge and it's conical shaped stylus. So I don't actually have all the adjustments issues as with other stylus cuts. And your tonearm might have had the same conversion as mine...

starterwiz

Post by starterwiz » 11 Dec 2018 22:21

Thanks for the replies guys. I sent pics to SME.
The counterweight is indeed too light. I did find part numbers for heavier weights. Hoping they are available.
I could not get the arm to physically fit on the Ariston that was it’s intended home. The dust cover got in the way, and the arm board was not quite large enough to move it further back.
If I am unable to get a weight, I’m sure I can fab up some extra weight and make it function.
Will keep you all in the loop.
Thanks again.