Technics SL-3200 keeps powering on and off

snap, crackle and pop
hmcka
Canada

Technics SL-3200 keeps powering on and off

Post by hmcka » 19 Nov 2018 21:23

Ive searched but not really found a problem exactly like this. The tone arm raises and lowers, and the power cycles on and off non stop. Here is a link to a video I took showing the problem. I balanced the arm per the instructions, and adjusted the anti skate to the same setting as the arm.

https://youtu.be/Vi4fPWViXoE

I picked this TT up from a guy for 65.00, he told me it worked fine, but obviously that was BS.

Thoughts? Is it garbage?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-3200 keeps powering on and off

Post by musicmn » 19 Nov 2018 21:53

Hi, that problem is most likely being caused by old grease somewhere in the mechanism. It could be that the trip pawls that are mounted on a large cam wheel that cause the cam wheel to come into motion are stuck, thus repeatedly tripping the mechanism. You will need to open up this turntable and clean out as mush of the old grease as possible, then lubricate it fresh grease. The trip pawls can be cleaned in place on the cam wheel with a thin rag dripped in alcohol to remove all old grease, then very lightly grease them where the slide on the cam wheel. Once you open this turntable up you will notice all the old black graphite grease Technics used to lubricate the mechanism. That grease becomes very thick and contaminated with age and causes all kinds of issues. I like to use a brand of grease call Super Lube it works very well in these turntables. That is a very nice turntable and for $65.00 I think you did well. And with a little servicing you will have a very nice sounding and preforming turntable. There are other things that can be done to this turntable as far as servicing once it's opened. I just mentioned a few, use the custom google search engine on this site to check other posts for more info on what should be done to keep this turntable running correctly. I hope this helps.

hmcka
Canada

Post by hmcka » 20 Nov 2018 15:47

Thanks so much for your reply. Is there a link to show me what a trip pawl is?

Also, I have access to this Flourocarbon Gel 880, can this be used instead of SuperLube?

https://www.neyco.fr/uploads/media/prod ... 69a5e9.pdf

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 20 Nov 2018 18:35

Go here!
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... 3200.shtml
From your video it appears you did not cue down (lower) the arm with the cueing lever, you only raised it. Try that first!

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 22 Nov 2018 03:40

Hi, I have uploaded a picture of the main cam wheel from a Technics turntable, not your model but a typical Technics main cam wheel with the trip pawls. The trip pawls are the metal pieces mounted to the cam wheel. And on this model they are not removable. In this case to clean them just take a very thin cotton rag and dip one corner in alcohol and work it under and in between the trip pawls to remove any old grease, grim and dirt that collects there. Once clean you can either leave them dry or just very lightly lubricate them with a good quality grease where the ride on the cam wheel only. I usually leave them dry them seem to work better that way. And if you find any of the black grease like in the picture in that groove in the cam wheel clean all of it out and again lubricate with fresh grease. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Technics sl 230 turntable 002 (Copy).JPG
(133.27 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 22 Nov 2018 18:52

technics_sl-3200_p7.jpg
(124.21 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
I have attached the operating page from the SL-3200 instructions. Please make sure you have followed them as I said before, this is not a fully automatic operation you must cue down the arm to play!

roelwelters
Belgium

Post by roelwelters » 22 Nov 2018 19:34

Look for the yellowish grease in the player and remove ALL of that with isopropyl alcohol and reapply grease, I mainly use ballbearing grease, works fine. My experience is that the graphite mostly isnt the problem but it doens't hurt to clean that to. While it's open, deoxit the potmeters that control the pitch, makes its more stable turning.

hmcka
Canada

Post by hmcka » 23 Nov 2018 20:48

Ottermel wrote:
22 Nov 2018 18:52
technics_sl-3200_p7.jpgI have attached the operating page from the SL-3200 instructions. Please make sure you have followed them as I said before, this is not a fully automatic operation you must cue down the arm to play!
Thx bud. I can see that not lowering the arm could be an issue, but it shouldn't cause the arm to raise, lower, and keep powering on and off.

hmcka
Canada

Post by hmcka » 07 Dec 2018 13:46

Ok, thx for the replies, I have opened it up and taken some pics as well as posted a video. I just want your opinion before I proceed. The video is exactly whats happening in the first video I posted, except from the underside of the TT. The arm is doning nothing more than constantly raising and lowering. If you place it over the album, it returns to the rest and raises and lowers. Is the consensus the same, that its just a matter of cleaning and re-greasing, or do you see anything else?

https://youtu.be/7Y34hzWuH4c
20181206_183403.jpg
(167.24 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
20181206_183355.jpg
(142.18 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
20181206_183335.jpg
(167.57 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
20181206_183303.jpg
(193.86 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 07 Dec 2018 16:29

Hi, the main cause of your problem is going to be those metal levers on the left side of the turntable. Every single technics turntable that I have serviced that uses those levers have been frozen or near frozen from old dried up grease. Remove that entire assembly and then try to work the levers before you disassemble it. I bet you will find they are very hard to move, they must be able to move freely. You will need to disassemble those levers and clean out all the old grease in between them, you may have to scrape some of the old grease off that's how hard it dries up. You will also find a couple of washers between the levers and the mounting plate make sure to remove them and clean thoroughly with alcohol. These washers might appear to be part of the plate but they are actually just stuck from old grease. Once you have everything cleaned then lubricate them with fresh grease and as you assemble them. Now here is where you will need to make a decision to stop and just install the lever assembly back into the turntable or continue with the servicing. It could be that the problem you were having was from the levers being frozen. Or the problem could have been with them and other parts of the mechanism either being frozen or just sticking from old grease. My opinion is to continue with servicing the main mechanism. This is based on the fact that I do know that there is a lot more old grease in these mechanisms that should be cleaned out and replaced with fresh grease at this time. Doing a good servicing now should prevent any more need to open up this TT again. I have included a picture of the main mechanism of a SL 3300 I serviced some time back. I believe that the 3200 and 3300 share the same mechanism for the most part. The arrows are pointing to two areas in the main mechanism that can cause issues with the auto functions of this turntable. At the very least the index lever (red arrow) should be removed and cleaned and lubricated. The yellow arrow is just showing more of the old lithium grease that dries up over time. And you can also see the black graphite grease that becomes thick and contaminated with age which can also cause issues. I hope this helps.
Attachments
technics sl-3300 007 (Copy).JPG
(137.28 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

hmcka
Canada

Post by hmcka » 07 Dec 2018 17:58

Thanks for the reply, thats exactly what I was looking for. Just for clarification, you mention cleaning the metal levers, but it looks like your arrows point at the plastic ones. Do you mean the areas I have indicated in the pic below?

Thanks again!
20181206_183303.jpg
(199.59 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 07 Dec 2018 19:41

Yes I was referring to the metal lever assembly in your picture the picture I uploaded is just showing some other areas that can become stuck from old grease.

hmcka
Canada

Post by hmcka » 07 Dec 2018 19:58

Perfect, thank you!