Oracle MkII upgrades suggestions

snap, crackle and pop
jake canada

Oracle MkII upgrades suggestions

Post by jake canada » 13 Nov 2018 17:19

hey everyone I recently bought a Mint condition second hand Oracle Delphi MkII with MkIII suspension. With a SME IV tonearm. and original dustcover still in wrapping and all original packing for $1900 cash. I was looking at doing some upgrades for it. The motor has plenty of life it has been in storage in the box since about 89 after it was fully serviced by oracle. Upgrades I was thinking first is aluminum arm board and the MKV counter weight. Though dose a person have to send it to the factory for the counterweight? Also debating over the mk6 platter or MK6 drive electronics module and base and motor. let me know your thoughts. I also have a dynavector xx2 MkII cartridge I'm installing on it.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Re: Oracle MkII upgrades suggestions

Post by hobie1dog » 13 Nov 2018 23:07

The amount of money that you are willing to sink into it will determine how good you want it to be.
I had the same model but sold it due to not having a speed control . I play trumpet and it would not let me be able to play with lp's because of it playing too fast, even after ordering a belt from Oracle, so I finally gave up. The guy I bought mine from was a audiophile tweaker and had a dry ceramic special bearing installed which made an oscillating noise with every revolution. ..I tore that damned thing completely apart twice, finally used a stethoscope on the side of the bearing assembly to reveal it was the problem. The Oracle tech I talked to told me that I would need to put an original bearing back in it at a hefty cost. Audiofools.....gotta hate them. I wanted that table so bad for many years, then was completely disappointed after going through all of that.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Re: Oracle MkII upgrades suggestions

Post by ChrisfromRI » 14 Nov 2018 04:16

Congrats!

Contact Oracle as they are great about supporting you to do this! I have the earliest Oracle AC, before it was even called the Delphi, and they helped me bring mine up pretty far in the generations. I do use an outboard AC frequency generator made by Clearaudio, but mine has an AC motor and yours is DC, which is a lot easier to regulate and control - if you need to.

The hard acrylic mat versus the previous soft rubber mat made a big difference, as did the aluminum armboard versus the acrylic one. The various parts in the towers all can be updated as well. The big kahuna is the semi-circular subchassis weight opposite of the armboard which better balances the suspension and slows down it's bounce rate.

If you're setting it up the key for adjusting the suspension towers after leveling is to put on a record and the clamp and push down the center of the clamp and then release. The suspension should bounce straight up and down once maybe twice, and you are good. Any teeter-tottering away from the straight up and down bounce movement must be addressed by adjustments at the towers. This is important to get right.

I currently have a Graham tonearm and a Lyra cartridge on mine.