Static

snap, crackle and pop
hebridean

Static

Post by hebridean » 06 Nov 2018 13:00

Is the crackling heard when playing a receord static?, and is cleaning the only way to get rid of this. Can it be eradicated/discharged from the record in another way?
I've tried cleaning using distilled water, isopropanol and a rinse with distilled water. They've come out nice and shiney clean, but unfortulately the static is still there.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Static

Post by musicmn » 06 Nov 2018 18:42

Hi, sometimes the crackling you hear is cause by static and other times it's caused by a badly worn record. If your playing a lot of used vinyl and hearing the crackling then the record could have been played with a worn stylus and or to much or to little tracking force damaging the grooves in the record. In that case there is not much that can be done other then to just ignore the crackling or find a different copy of that record and hope it is better shape. There are a couple of ways to reduce static on a record and washing them the way you do is a great start. You can also pick up a carbon fiber record cleaning brush. They do work well at cleaning the grooves and reducing the static build up. I use one on each side of a record before I play it. Another item that I have heard that works is a Zero Stat gun. I have never used one but from comments on this forum and other sites they seem to work well. And you can buy record sleeves that are also suppose to Help reduce static build up. I do have first hand knowledge of these sleeves and they do work to a point. If your like me and live in and area where at this time of year the humidity is very low and you need to run a furnace to heat your home then static will always be and issue even with a humidifier running. I hope this helps.

danmanch

Post by danmanch » 06 Nov 2018 19:33

Good points by musicmm.
I'm curious how do you dry your freshly cleaned records? Some micro fiber is not lint free. I air dry for this reason.
Carbon fiber before every side. And my favorite method for static is to ground yourself. By touching the record edges and touching a ground point it magically disperses.

hebridean

Post by hebridean » 06 Nov 2018 21:29

Many thanks for your replies. Musicmn you've come to my rescue again, and i think you've hit the nail on the head in that the records are old (seventies) and were played forever then. I also remember in my ignorance placing a coin on top of the headshell at one point not realising that the stylus can wear out etc. So in all probability they're knackered.
Thanks also Danmanch, and what would a grounding point be in the house?

Any thoughts on the merits of cork, hide or anti static mats as opposed to the standard Thorens one i'm using.

danmanch

Post by danmanch » 07 Nov 2018 19:05

I would assume your stereo is grounded? Any point that leads to ground. I have a ground point on my receiver and pre-amp. Simple.
I like stock rubber mats, but feel free to experiment.

sturgus
United States of America

Post by sturgus » 08 Nov 2018 03:18

hebridean wrote:
06 Nov 2018 13:00
Is the crackling heard when playing a receord static?, and is cleaning the only way to get rid of this. Can it be eradicated/discharged from the record in another way?
I've tried cleaning using distilled water, isopropanol and a rinse with distilled water. They've come out nice and shiney clean, but unfortulately the static is still there.
A cheap tweak that has worked for me is a used dryer sheet under the platter mat.

angryBits
United States of America

Post by angryBits » 15 Nov 2018 03:50

I found this to be a HUGE improvement:

Vinyl Buddy Record Cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Z ... UTF8&psc=1

My carbon fiber brush helps to reduce static for sure but its not the best at removing dust.
So I if I haven't used the cleaner in awhile and I hear static then first I try the carbon fiber brush, then if that didn't work I do the cleaner to get rid of stuck on dust, then I use the carbon fiber brush again to de-static.

Works like a charm. I couldn't believe how much clearer my records became.

Watch this video -- it was really helpful for me in terms of cleaning, handling and removing static/dust: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2QfjcgDjsY

tom6to1
Canada

Post by tom6to1 » 15 Nov 2018 21:19

If the problem is static (and not a worn record) then there are anti-static chemicals - quaternary ammonium compounds or quats. It is a quat that makes a dryer sheet anti-static. I have started using a solution with just a drop or two of this as a wet cleaning solution with my D3 just before playing a record. From another post of mine:
What you can buy for "quats" as per Vince1 depends on where you live. Fairly easy in the US. Tougher in Canada or Britain from discussions in various threads. Hepastat is (or was) available in the USA and is an anti-bacterial cleaner. In Canada, I have found there are pool algaecides sold through Canadian Tire and Home Depot that appear to be nothing but quats in water with maybe some coloring that can be used (and a bottle will last you multiple lifetimes as you only need drops per litre for record cleaning). You can use quats in a general record cleaning compound to prevent static. If static is a problem at play-time, and if you already clean before playing, maybe try a solution of 5-10% isopropyl alcohol, 1% or less of a quat, and the rest distilled water. Used with a Discwasher or similar brush you should have success, but I will admit to not adding a quat to my just-before-play cleaning mix yet as I don't have a static problem. YMMV.
To see more, try this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=95823