vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Used Vintage vs Used Entry-level Audiophile

Post by vinyl master » 18 Nov 2018 07:40

Nigel Gomez wrote:
18 Nov 2018 07:07
Your electricity bill is probably high.
The same guy who repairs my radios has 800+ old radios himself with quite a few plugged in around various rooms of his house, plus a few old TV sets...I think anyone who is into vintage electronics like we are might have a high bill at times...It's those fans and air conditioners in the summer, though, that really do it for people...My bill is manageable, but the ultimate key will be when everyone starts utilizing alternate forms of energy like solar, wind and whatnot and put the screws to all these greedy power companies...With all that is going on with our planet right now, we may have to go that route...

Mdewitt134
United States of America

Post by Mdewitt134 » 18 Nov 2018 12:16

Junglungs, hows the search going?

You had quite a few good leads from your posts!

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 18 Nov 2018 15:48

Gelid wrote:
17 Nov 2018 21:18
Lots of people who are wanting to buy their first or their re-introduction turntable have this same question. I also did, 4 or 5 years ago.

The single most important issue with buying a used turntable:
There are very, very, very few places that will, or even know how to fix them.

Most of the regulars here have no problem picking up a deal from Craigslist or an auction site, estate sale, etc... and getting it up and running. Therefore, they are quick to scoff at a brand-new turntable. Yes, the used one from the 1970's or 1980's is probably the better build quality for the money... if you can renew it.

Most vintage turntables have issues that need to be resolved, but who do you take your newly aquired Dual or Technics TT to? I didn't know 4-5 years ago when I bought my first vintage deck, and today I still don't know. The place that fixes my vintage stereo receivers wouldn't touch my Dual CS621 when I thought the tonearm needed to be re-wired. I basically said "Whatever it needs, do it." and they wouldn't touch it.

That is why people want to buy brand new.

Knowing there are a lot of models to steer clear of, they come here to get recommendations on what to get.
Your comments resonate. All the vintage table I have acquired had major issues when I first got them. Finding a place to have them serviced was not the only challenge. Many are one man operations with limited capacity. It is frustrating to be turned down for the reason of having this huge backlog; consequently am not taking on new customers at the present time. :cry: One table languished for several years attempting to find someone to take it on. In another case I never was able to find anyone so took the job on myself. I was partly successful. :roll: Fully auto tables can be especially daunting to DIY. Going with a fully manual vintage model, given their comparative simplicity, would have been a more sensible move in view of my limited skill set.

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 18 Nov 2018 15:57

Your comments resonate. All the vintage table I have acquired had major issues when I first got them. Finding a place to have them serviced was not the only challenge. Many are one man operations with limited capacity. It is frustrating to be turned down for the reason of having this huge backlog; consequently am not taking on new customers at the present time. :cry: One table languished for several years attempting to find someone to take it on. In another case I never was able to find anyone so took the job on myself. I was partly successful. :roll: Fully auto tables can be especially daunting to DIY. Going with a fully manual vintage model, given their comparative simplicity, would have been a more sensible move in view of my limited skill set.
I would not attempt to repair or service an automatic turntable. Actually, I never had a desire to own an automatic turntable.

der

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 18 Nov 2018 16:35

vinyl master wrote:
18 Nov 2018 06:21
hobie1dog wrote:
17 Nov 2018 14:15
I'm 62 and I am fatigued with having old gear that fails. My advice is to buy a new direct drive model. No speed issues, future belt stretching to worry about, no capacitors that are at the end of their service life, motors that are at the end of their life, worn gears, dirty contacts, etc. It's like buying a 15-20 year old house where everything is at the end of its service life, HVAC unit, hot water heater, carpet, roof, appliances, countertops, plumbing fixtures, decks, landscaping, driveways, garage door openers, etc.
You worry about a 15-20 year old house, but what about those 100 year old classics? SOMEONE has to live in them! By the way, I have a GE refrigerator from the 1940's and a Montgomery Ward freezer from the 70's in the basement that still run like the day they were made...They keep the cold things cold, which is good enough for me! I'm not willing to fix something that ain't broken, either...Maybe one day, but not today...I also have a good friend who refurbished this old Westinghouse fridge from the 50's...

AND this bad boy, too...

...just in case I need any repairs down the line... :wink:

I met him at a local antique market here, so sometimes, those places (flea markets, antique shops, etc.) are good places to get leads on these things! :D

Oh, and by the way, he's an expert at fixing up old radios and TV sets, too! :wink:
That old wooden Ice Box looks like the same one they used as a prop on The Honeymooners.
To the moon Alice! :shock:

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 18 Nov 2018 16:38

vinyl master wrote:
18 Nov 2018 07:40
Nigel Gomez wrote:
18 Nov 2018 07:07
Your electricity bill is probably high.
The same guy who repairs my radios has 800+ old radios himself with quite a few plugged in around various rooms of his house, plus a few old TV sets...I think anyone who is into vintage electronics like we are might have a high bill at times...It's those fans and air conditioners in the summer, though, that really do it for people...My bill is manageable, but the ultimate key will be when everyone starts utilizing alternate forms of energy like solar, wind and whatnot and put the screws to all these greedy power companies...With all that is going on with our planet right now, we may have to go that route...
I suppose I'm lucky.
My average electric bill runs about $42 to 50/month. :wink:

junglungs

Post by junglungs » 19 Nov 2018 03:52

Mdewitt134 wrote:
18 Nov 2018 12:16
Junglungs, hows the search going?

You had quite a few good leads from your posts!
Yes, I'm getting there... I'm incredibly indecisive and tend to drive myself mad researching every little thing to make sure I'm making the right decision. I do appreciate blackdogvinyl's sentiments, though, and I'm trying to remind myself I'm not necessarily stuck forever with what I get.

I am close to pulling the trigger, but now I'm getting a bit hung up on the whole servo vs quartz thing (specifically in reference to Technics D-series).

Assuming the proper maintenance has been done on the speed controls, could there really be that noticeable a difference between the two? Again, having come from owning a 1200 with quartz.

I listen to a lot of long-form drone/avant-garde and jazz, so I wonder if I'd notice any changes with a servo control system...

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 19 Nov 2018 03:59

direct drive, servo vs quartz...good question. Just got myself a 35 yr old direct drive servo, with no speed drifting at all. Seller had serviced it, and deoxed the speed pot.