Spinner45 wrote:
12 Nov 2018 18:24
vinyl master wrote:
12 Nov 2018 09:25
Spinner45 wrote:
12 Nov 2018 08:28

I say...Ya want something cheap?
Go buy a Crosley crapola.
My Crosley was one of the most expensive ones I own, and I don't even use it! I still kick myself for paying full price for it...That said, a well-serviced vintage model can be worth it, if you don't want the headaches...Of course, I also love to haggle (and if you can do it, why not??? I've been fairly successful at it, but I've always come away in a situation where both seller and I are happy...)...The thrill of finding quality for cheap is a reward unto itself, too, when I realize they're not gonna make these kinds of turntables anymore...
Haggling has always been around.
But also, consider this...
When a seller puts a reasonable price on a unit, being serviced, had parts replaced, new cartridge installed, isn't it an insult to that seller, to attempt to haggle?

For instance:
a Dual 1241 for sale, no dust cover - $200.
Cosmetically perfect.
New belt.
New AT95 cartridge.
45 donut adapter.
New RCA cables.
Cleaned, lubed, adjusted, checked.

Or............
A Miracord/Realistic 46 - $200, no dustcover.
Cosmetically 97%
Tonearm head damaged, retrofitted with suitable replacement.
Pickering cartridge w/new stylus.
Has both multi/single spindles.
Cleaned, lubed/adjusted/tested.
New power/RCA cables.
Walnut base improvements - added bottom panel.

Both ready to plug and play, with the only thing needed in the future might be a new stylus.
Substantial labor time involved in them to make them "right" and reliable.

Would you "haggle" them down?
Yeah, I'd try...The seller has the power to say "No", too! The bargaining works both ways, you know! :wink: Still, I'd say "What is the best price you can give me?"...I always ask "Does it have a dust cover?"..."Is it scratched up?"..."Does it have a new belt or has the old one turned to sticky goo?"..."Has it been used in a long time?"..."Is it missing a cartridge or a headshell?", "Will I need a new stylus?", "Does it have it's steuerpimpel (if it's a Dual)?", etc. With receivers, the questions are things like "Is a fuse or a lamp burned out?", "Is it missing it's wooden case?" or "What about the tuner string?", etc.

I have seen lots of stellar examples of turntables and receivers sitting on Craigslist or EBay for long periods of time, which tells me that the fish just aren't biting or the prices are way out of range...Or else they'd be sold fast! I don't usually look for those types of components, but that could be because I have more fun tinkering with the neglected, abused ones...

I would buy that Realistic Miracord, but MY ad would look a little more like this...

Miracord/Realistic turntable, scratches on dust cover
Cosmetically 75%
Headshell and cartridge not included.
Has single spindle and 45 adapter.
This has sat in my father's attic for 35 years. Don't know if it still works.
Base missing nameplate.
Make offer.

My offer might be something like $125 instead of $200...If I bought off of Craigslist, I would meet the guy in person, discuss our mutual love for vintage audio and then, see what his best price would be (My 40a was $25.00, by the way and I did get to meet the guy in person...)...He would know that his turntable would be lovingly cared for by someone who could give it the TLC it needs...If he was trying to thin the herd, I would be helping him at the same time...A mutual win-win! I could either then do the work required (and find any missing accessories) or have it done by a pro, but in both cases, the cost would be worth it, because the quality is there and I've learned not to subject my good records to anything of lower quality...Of course, I have many turntables and assorted record players...Plus, lots of beat-up 45's, as well, so they also need something that will play them...

Regarding the Elac, we both see the quality and potential in this turntable, but we're on different sides of the same coin...The turntables I buy are not usually the most stellar exemplars, but they most certainly have the potential to get there eventually...

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Re: Used Vintage vs Used Entry-level Audiophile

Post by andybeau » 13 Nov 2018 09:34

Spinner45 wrote:
13 Nov 2018 04:06
andybeau wrote:
12 Nov 2018 18:58
Spinner45 wrote:
12 Nov 2018 18:24

Haggling has always been around.
But also, consider this...
When a seller puts a reasonable price on a unit, being serviced, had parts replaced, new cartridge installed, isn't it an insult to that seller, to attempt to haggle?

For instance:
a Dual 1241 for sale, no dust cover - $200.
Cosmetically perfect.
New belt.
New AT95 cartridge.
45 donut adapter.
New RCA cables.
Cleaned, lubed, adjusted, checked.

Or............
A Miracord/Realistic 46 - $200, no dustcover.
Cosmetically 97%
Tonearm head damaged, retrofitted with suitable replacement.
Pickering cartridge w/new stylus.
Has both multi/single spindles.
Cleaned, lubed/adjusted/tested.
New power/RCA cables.
Walnut base improvements - added bottom panel.

Both ready to plug and play, with the only thing needed in the future might be a new stylus.
Substantial labor time involved in them to make them "right" and reliable.

Would you "haggle" them down?
Yes
Of course you would.

However, those turntables mentioned DID sell finally for the asking price, and both new owners were extremely pleased in the end.
Why shouldn't I try to haggle, you don't get anything if you don't ask. Also "Of course you would.", so you know me then do you? :roll:

giblets46

Post by giblets46 » 13 Nov 2018 10:00

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there is a halfway house here, which is simply a newer turntable but used. You'll get more bang for your buck than new.

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 13 Nov 2018 11:28

If I were looking for another turntable, not having a dustcover even a cracked one would be a negative.

I have had a couple of turntables professionally serviced, and the cost of such a service needs to be factored into the examples that Spinner is talking about here. That is especially important if the design is an automatic that is possibly 40-50 years old. Some experienced people can perform service themselves, but a good many others will make a worse mess of it. The ones I got professionally serviced by a former factory rep are still working flawlessly 8 years later. Unfortunately the guy who did the work didn't fare so well.

I agree with the point that it is up to the seller to stick to their price if they think its fair and justified, and to realize that there will always be some who attempt to haggle. If the price was set at $220 instead of $200 then they could accept the $200 and both parties would be happy since the buyer would think they got a deal and the seller got what he wanted. Sometimes selling stuff requires a bit of a thick skin since their will always be buyers who press on your nerve! :roll:

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 13 Nov 2018 11:46

Why not support the turntable manufacturers who are making genuinely good new turntables?

How will the industry thrive or even survive if most people buy used?

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Nov 2018 16:09

Nigel Gomez wrote:
13 Nov 2018 11:46
Why not support the turntable manufacturers who are making genuinely good new turntables?

How will the industry thrive or even survive if most people buy used?
That's true...If you're someone on a budget, though, and can't wait, then finding a vintage exemplar on the cheap will allow you to play records sooner...Either that, or be patient and spend some time saving money for the new turntable you REALLY want and enjoy it! Of course, buying one doesn't mean that you can't upgrade to another down the line...

You can buy a new table, but make sure it's not one from a company like Crosley, Ion, Philco, Onebyone, Victrola, Innovative Technologies, Detrola, Rochester Audio, Sylvania, Jensen, GPX, Pyle, Electrohome, Vinyl Styl, Shenzhen, Anders Nicholson, Capehart, Feir, Goodnew, Musitrend, D&L, Jorlai, Looptone, Audiology, House Of Marley, Boytone, Auna, Jopostar, Photive Soul Tracks, Produtrend, QFX, Luker, Wockoder, Miric, CMC, Lauson, Tech Play, ClearClick, Popsky, Digitnow!, Rock N' Rolla, Tyler, My Wave, Hovamp, 808, Gadhouse, Studebaker or any other company who produces such vintage-looking monstrosities! Your precious records deserve better than that and there are lots more cheapo companies out there looking to make a fast buck in the vinyl resurgence! Do your homework and get it right the first time!

Why the plethora of these crappy knock-off wanna-be record players exist is beyond me! [-X

As I said, if you were to buy new (under $500), look at U-Turn, Rega, Pro-Ject, Audio Technica (specifically the AT-LP120, at a BARE MINIMUM...), etc. Otherwise, a used Technics in good shape is not totally out of the question...I have three now and they are very reliable in good shape, if you don't want to fuss around too much...Other vintage brands to look for include Sansui, Dual, Elac, Pioneer, Harman Kardon, Denon, Thorens, Garrard, Luxman, CEC, Philips, Hitachi, JVC, Micro Seiki, Perpetuum Ebner, ADC, Connoisseur, etc.

b+v8an

Post by b+v8an » 13 Nov 2018 16:44

Sunwire wrote:
12 Nov 2018 22:57
Why would straight tonearms not work with heavier carts (>7 grams)?
I have a lot of them.The only reason I added that comment is because the counterweights aren't heavy enough(65-70 gms) to balance the heavier carts. As another aside,some (ex. Ortofon 2M series), just don't fit in the removable headshells. It just depends on what you have.
A lot of the manuals recommend carts in the 5-6.5 gm range.

junglungs

Post by junglungs » 13 Nov 2018 19:56

vinyl master wrote:
12 Nov 2018 09:31
By the way, junglungs...Where DO you live abouts? I might be able to find some candidates for you to look at...You never know what I might find and I've been pretty good at this...What have you got to lose? :-k

In regards to "new", about the only ones I could recommend to you are brands like U-Turn, Pro-Ject, Rega, etc. The Audio Technica AT-LP120 would be the only AT I'd consider (and I'm still a bit iffy on that one, although many others love theirs...)...The build quality and reliability of many new tables, though, just doesn't match up to what it was in the 70's, which is the sweet spot for vintage audio to me!
I'm living on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Things pop up here on CL from time to time, but it's pretty rural, so I'm otherwise largely restricted to looking online. Naturally I'd much rather see something in person before purchasing and Boston or Providence definitely offer more options, but both are a bit of a drive.

Initially I was strongly considering the AT-LP120, but then I read about how many users have problems with anti-skate, for which there is apparently no fix. Which is a bit of a deal-breaker, as the main thing I'm looking for is reliability, something low-risk which won't require maintenance for some time.
Gravitar8 wrote:
12 Nov 2018 15:10
Agreed....and add vintage Kenwood KD 5066 (a few online sales at around 250$ btw) to that list...likely would pair well with your speakers which I wouldn't replace with bookshelves right away- you say things are sounding nice right now?
Well, I'm only using the massive Kenwoods since they were my father's and the only useable speakers in the house. Honestly, as I've mainly been living in cramped apartments in cities since I've been a serious listener (most of my life), I've always had to use headphones, so the ability to finally listen loudly on speakers is a new thing, and I don't think I have the ear yet to say whether it sounds good or not (plus I'm only able to listen to CDs at the moment).

b+v8an wrote:
12 Nov 2018 20:54
Hey there junglungs
I believe the most important thing for you to consider is the appearance of the TT. If you don't like the way it looks ,you will not be happy.From your suggestions,you appear to be a straight tonearm kind of guy. Look for one that looks good to you! In your price range, you could buy just about any good vintage, serviced, TT there is. The performance will be pretty much the same.I prefer automatic tt's.Life is too short as it is. Just remember , straight tonearms might not work with heavier carts( >7 gms.) . Just pick one and get busy listening.
Thanks for your reply. I think I may actually be leaning more toward s-shaped arms, simply because I'm coming from having owned a Technics 1200, and also after reading your post about straight arms not being able to support heavier carts. I definitely want to have more options when choosing a cart. However, as lini brings up I may be limited anyway if it's a T4P turntable.

I'm considering something in the Technics D-series right now, but one thing holding me back is the lack of VTA, again something I really appreciated with my old 1200. I don't know anything about this myself, but is this something which would then limit which carts would be acceptable? And if so, how would I tell which carts would work and which wouldn't? I wouldn't want to splurge on something fancy only to find out it I couldn't use it to it's full potential because it couldn't be set up properly...

In regards to the discussion about prices, I guess I have a better idea about what to expect for serviced vintage gear now, and at this point I'm willing to pay for the assurance that someone's had a look under the hood and cleaned it up, as long as that someone has a pretty solid reputation.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 13 Nov 2018 22:02

Dangerous to assume that you don't know what you "like" in terms of listening to speakers. You mentioned at the start of this thread that you were enjoying the Kenwood speakers- so that's a great starting point IME to build around. You might not know that 'big old' speakers can be very, very good- even compared to modern day counterparts.
junglungs wrote:
13 Nov 2018 19:56
vinyl master wrote:
12 Nov 2018 09:31
By the way, junglungs...Where DO you live abouts? I might be able to find some candidates for you to look at...You never know what I might find and I've been pretty good at this...What have you got to lose? :-k

In regards to "new", about the only ones I could recommend to you are brands like U-Turn, Pro-Ject, Rega, etc. The Audio Technica AT-LP120 would be the only AT I'd consider (and I'm still a bit iffy on that one, although many others love theirs...)...The build quality and reliability of many new tables, though, just doesn't match up to what it was in the 70's, which is the sweet spot for vintage audio to me!
I'm living on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Things pop up here on CL from time to time, but it's pretty rural, so I'm otherwise largely restricted to looking online. Naturally I'd much rather see something in person before purchasing and Boston or Providence definitely offer more options, but both are a bit of a drive.

Initially I was strongly considering the AT-LP120, but then I read about how many users have problems with anti-skate, for which there is apparently no fix. Which is a bit of a deal-breaker, as the main thing I'm looking for is reliability, something low-risk which won't require maintenance for some time.
Gravitar8 wrote:
12 Nov 2018 15:10
Agreed....and add vintage Kenwood KD 5066 (a few online sales at around 250$ btw) to that list...likely would pair well with your speakers which I wouldn't replace with bookshelves right away- you say things are sounding nice right now?
Well, I'm only using the massive Kenwoods since they were my father's and the only useable speakers in the house. Honestly, as I've mainly been living in cramped apartments in cities since I've been a serious listener (most of my life), I've always had to use headphones, so the ability to finally listen loudly on speakers is a new thing, and I don't think I have the ear yet to say whether it sounds good or not (plus I'm only able to listen to CDs at the moment).

b+v8an wrote:
12 Nov 2018 20:54
Hey there junglungs
I believe the most important thing for you to consider is the appearance of the TT. If you don't like the way it looks ,you will not be happy.From your suggestions,you appear to be a straight tonearm kind of guy. Look for one that looks good to you! In your price range, you could buy just about any good vintage, serviced, TT there is. The performance will be pretty much the same.I prefer automatic tt's.Life is too short as it is. Just remember , straight tonearms might not work with heavier carts( >7 gms.) . Just pick one and get busy listening.
Thanks for your reply. I think I may actually be leaning more toward s-shaped arms, simply because I'm coming from having owned a Technics 1200, and also after reading your post about straight arms not being able to support heavier carts. I definitely want to have more options when choosing a cart. However, as lini brings up I may be limited anyway if it's a T4P turntable.

I'm considering something in the Technics D-series right now, but one thing holding me back is the lack of VTA, again something I really appreciated with my old 1200. I don't know anything about this myself, but is this something which would then limit which carts would be acceptable? And if so, how would I tell which carts would work and which wouldn't? I wouldn't want to splurge on something fancy only to find out it I couldn't use it to it's full potential because it couldn't be set up properly...

In regards to the discussion about prices, I guess I have a better idea about what to expect for serviced vintage gear now, and at this point I'm willing to pay for the assurance that someone's had a look under the hood and cleaned it up, as long as that someone has a pretty solid reputation.

Mdewitt134
United States of America

Post by Mdewitt134 » 14 Nov 2018 01:34

Did you go look at the D2? If I had not run across my 1700mk2, I would definitely consider that one: S-shaped, good gimble tonearm, semi-auto, so it has auto return at end of side, plus same great brushless dc Servo motor, heavy platter and plinth. Maybe the 300 vs 230 in SC is a reasonable difference considering your location.

Ok, VTA not easily adjustable, but Technics pretty much has the arm angle vs album surface pretty well figured out... and you can do the adjustment on the cartridge/headshell end too...if it’s off that much...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Nov 2018 02:02

Well, Patti Page once sung a little song about your neck of the woods...

If you like the sound of a turntable or two, you're sure to find one in Old Cape Cod...At least, if I can Help it...

Here's a Technics belt-drive, for instance...

https://capecod.craigslist.org/ele/d/vi ... 47229.html

Here's a good project a little closer to Providence than to Provincetown...

https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/d ... 71277.html

For $15 and a bit further, a project that might be worth the restoration...

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ele/d ... 52562.html

Here's a deal you might want to check out near Yarmouth...Even for the records, you might be able to snag some deals...

https://capecod.craigslist.org/emd/d/la ... 32515.html

Here's an interesting set near Hyannis...

https://capecod.craigslist.org/clt/d/be ... 27486.html

If you need repairs at all for anything (or just want to buy some top-quality vintage audio components), check out Atlantic Systems in Hanover...

http://atlantic-systems.com/vintage-audio/

Another place is Charlie's in Hyannis...

https://www.charliesmusic.com/5898-2/

Here's a cool place you might want to look for some records in Orleans...

http://booksmithmusicsmith.com/music-vi ... l-records/

Flea markets like this are a good place to look in the summer...

http://www.thesandwichbazaar.com/

In fact, antique shops, estate sales, garage sales, bookstores, thrift shops, record stores, and other secondhand and vintage shops can be good places to look for used equipment...

Check out Spinnaker Records in Hyannis ( http://spinnakercd.com/ ), Instant Karma in Orleans ( https://www.instantkarmarecords.com/ ), Stardust Alley in West Harwich (in the Harwich Antique Mall) ( http://www.harwichantiquecenter.com/ ) and Newbury Comics in Cape Cod Mall in Hyannis ( https://www.newburycomics.com/pages/vinyl )...

There are also the Wellfleet ( http://www.wellfleetcinemas.com/flea-market/ ) and Raynham Flea Markets ( http://raynhamflea.com/ )...The Raynham market is open Sundays and Saturdays from Thanksgiving to Christmas and there is bound to be something you like in there, even if it's just a stash of cool vinyl records...Lots of goodies there!

Don't forget all the thrift shops like the Goodwill in Hyannis, The Falmouth Hospital Thrift in Falmouth, The Cape Cod Hospital Auxiliary, The Whalewalk Inn and the Aim Thrift Shop south of Truro...

Near Boston, you have this...

A free one for parts, if you want a project...

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/d ... 18500.html

Another cheap Techie...

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/for/d ... 53632.html

Even better is this nice model...

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/d ... 77893.html

A vintage Lenco...

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/d ... 05625.html

A serviced Onkyo...

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/d ... 35722.html

And a project Techie...

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ele/d ... 97326.html

If you like Technics, there's a Q2, too...

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/d ... 64374.html

An even a nice all-in-one combo...

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ele/d ... 73334.html

On EBay, there are these being sold near you...

Another cheap worthwhile project...You will need a base, but those can be gotten...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dual-1 ... rk:15:pf:0

I'll have you know that I have two versions of the 1009 and love them! This is the original 1009...I have a 1009SK and a 1009F...

I'm not familiar with this new one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica ... :rk:1:pf:0

...but it does have an AT91 cartridge...Maybe others can chime in on it? :-k

Even this low-end Technics would be better than nothing at all...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-turnt ... :rk:2:pf:0

If you go new, you might want to support your fellow Massachusettsians in Woburn...

https://uturnaudio.com/

Still, if you're patient and keep looking, you may just find what you're looking for in an unexpected place...Vintage turntables are out there, but sometimes, you have to be persistent...Ask friends and family if they have an old turntable not being used...Maybe even put up a "wanted: turntable" ad...For that matter, you could always check here on VE in the classifieds or on US Audio Mart...The key is to not give up! I didn't find any of my turntables by giving up and I believe they more likely FOUND ME!

Keep this in mind, too...You live in a beautiful part of the country, so it would be a shame to not spend some time checking out all the little shops and seeing what you might find, especially this time of year when the fall colors are on view everywhere! Anyway, maybe something there might Help...Let us know if you have any more questions!

The right turntable will come, my friend! And when you see it, strike while the iron is hot, because it may not come again! True advice from someone who has lost a few turntables to someone quicker than I...Of course, I've gained a bit over the last few years, so it all evens out! :wink:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 14 Nov 2018 02:12

Mdewitt134 wrote:
14 Nov 2018 01:34
Did you go look at the D2? If I had not run across my 1700mk2, I would definitely consider that one: S-shaped, good gimble tonearm, semi-auto, so it has auto return at end of side, plus same great brushless dc Servo motor, heavy platter and plinth. Maybe the 300 vs 230 in SC is a reasonable difference considering your location.

Ok, VTA not easily adjustable, but Technics pretty much has the arm angle vs album surface pretty well figured out... and you can do the adjustment on the cartridge/headshell end too...if it’s off that much...
I can totally vouch for the D2 and D3, as well...Solid quality all the way around and BOTH of mine were bought at a pittance locally ($50 on CL for the D2 and $45 at a local flea market for the D3, respectively)...Worth every penny, though...If you like the D series (and don't mind having a TT shipped), you could look at these and keep your eye on them...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TECHNI ... :rk:3:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SL-D2 ... :rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SL-D2 ... rk:14:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SL-D2 ... rk:15:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-Turnt ... :rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-Turnt ... :rk:5:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Techni ... :rk:1:pf:0

Maybe one of those might float your boat instead? :-k

As always, it pays to do your homework on any turntable you are interested in and there are manuals and reviews right here on VE...

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... d202.shtml
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... l-d2.shtml
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... l-d3.shtml

Enjoy the search and have fun! I know I do!! :wink:

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 14 Nov 2018 02:32

Wow! please feel free to do the vinyl gumshoe work for me- Southern Ontario, Canada :) In the meantime, re: your AT cartridge query... though this isn't that exact model, I think you and others here will enjoy this!

vinyl master wrote:
14 Nov 2018 02:02

If you like the sound of a turntable or two, you're sure to find one in Old Cape Cod...At least, if I can Help it...

Here's a Technics belt-drive, for instance...

https://capecod.craigslist.org/ele/d/vi ... 47229.html

Here's a good project a little closer to Providence than to Provincetown...

https://providence.craigslist.org/ele/d ... 71277.html

For $15 and a bit further, a project that might be worth the restoration...

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ele/d ... 52562.html

Here's a deal you might want to check out near Yarmouth...Even for the records, you might be able to snag some deals...

https://capecod.craigslist.org/emd/d/la ... 32515.html

Here's an interesting set near Hyannis...

https://capecod.craigslist.org/clt/d/be ... 27486.html

If you need repairs at all for anything (or just want to buy some top-quality vintage audio components), check out Atlantic Systems in Hanover...

http://atlantic-systems.com/vintage-audio/

Another place is Charlie's in Hyannis...

https://www.charliesmusic.com/5898-2/

Here's a cool place you might want to look for some records in Orleans...

http://booksmithmusicsmith.com/music-vi ... l-records/

Flea markets like this are a good place to look in the summer...

http://www.thesandwichbazaar.com/

In fact, antique shops, estate sales, garage sales, bookstores, thrift shops, record stores, and other secondhand and vintage shops can be good places to look for used equipment...

Check out Spinnaker Records in Hyannis ( http://spinnakercd.com/ ), Instant Karma in Orleans ( https://www.instantkarmarecords.com/ ), Stardust Alley in West Harwich (in the Harwich Antique Mall) ( http://www.harwichantiquecenter.com/ ) and Newbury Comics in Cape Cod Mall in Hyannis ( https://www.newburycomics.com/pages/vinyl )...

There are also the Wellfleet ( http://www.wellfleetcinemas.com/flea-market/ ) and Raynham Flea Markets ( http://raynhamflea.com/ )...The Raynham market is open Sundays and Saturdays from Thanksgiving to Christmas and there is bound to be something you like in there, even if it's just a stash of cool vinyl records...Lots of goodies there!

Don't forget all the thrift shops like the Goodwill in Hyannis, The Falmouth Hospital Thrift in Falmouth, The Cape Cod Hospital Auxiliary, The Whalewalk Inn and the Aim Thrift Shop south of Truro...

Near Boston, you have this...

A free one for parts, if you want a project...

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/d ... 18500.html

Another cheap Techie...

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/for/d ... 53632.html

Even better is this nice model...

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/d ... 77893.html

A vintage Lenco...

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/d ... 05625.html

A serviced Onkyo...

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/d ... 35722.html

And a project Techie...

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ele/d ... 97326.html

If you like Technics, there's a Q2, too...

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ele/d ... 64374.html

An even a nice all-in-one combo...

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ele/d ... 73334.html

On EBay, there are these being sold near you...

Another cheap worthwhile project...You will need a base, but those can be gotten...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dual-1 ... rk:15:pf:0

I'll have you know that I have two versions of the 1009 and love them! This is the original 1009...I have a 1009SK and a 1009F...

I'm not familiar with this new one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica ... :rk:1:pf:0

...but it does have an AT91 cartridge...Maybe others can chime in on it? :-k

Even this low-end Technics would be better than nothing at all...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-turnt ... :rk:2:pf:0

If you go new, you might want to support your fellow Massachusettsians in Woburn...

https://uturnaudio.com/

Still, if you're patient and keep looking, you may just find what you're looking for in an unexpected place...Vintage turntables are out there, but sometimes, you have to be persistent...Ask friends and family if they have an old turntable not being used...Maybe even put up a "wanted: turntable" ad...For that matter, you could always check here on VE in the classifieds or on US Audio Mart...The key is to not give up! I didn't find any of my turntables by giving up and I believe they more likely FOUND ME!

Keep this in mind, too...You live in a beautiful part of the country, so it would be a shame to not spend some time checking out all the little shops and seeing what you might find, especially this time of year when the fall colors are on view everywhere! Anyway, maybe something there might Help...Let us know if you have any more questions!

The right turntable will come, my friend! And when you see it, strike while the iron is hot, because it may not come again! True advice from someone who has lost a few turntables to someone quicker than I...Of course, I've gained a bit over the last few years, so it all evens out! :wink:

junglungs

Post by junglungs » 14 Nov 2018 16:39

Thanks, vinyl master, for taking the time to gather all this info for me, I really appreciate it
vinyl master wrote:
14 Nov 2018 02:02

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 15 Nov 2018 04:12

Be advised, that the antiskate problem with the AT-LP120, has been remedied, as of production beginning in January of 2017, with the introduction of a stronger antiskate spring, which is also available from Audio Technica, to owners of older units.