Linear Tracking Turntable

snap, crackle and pop
mijd
United States of America

Linear Tracking Turntable

Post by mijd » 21 Oct 2018 18:48

I have JVC LE-5 Linear tracking turntable that I purchased 2nd hand about 5 years ago. Recently the tone arm stopped (moving right to left and back again) except for cueing UP and Down. I can't find troubleshooting info on this turntable and the only repair shop or person who would attempt to fix it works on Iphones. He has since decided not to after looking at photos of the turntable. I notice one for sale on eBay where the seller purchased this model at a yard sale. He mentioned it has the same problem mine has but of course he selling it "as is". I was wondering if this was a common problem with these turntable models and that it would be an easy fix such as a belt? Thanks for any insight any forum member would like to share. :) Sorry the photo is sideways. I'm not a well versed editor. #-o
Attachments
IMG_1295.JPG
(244.42 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Linear Tracking Turntable

Post by fscl » 21 Oct 2018 19:10

Both instruction and service manual are here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/l-e5.shtml

Download and refer to page 8 of 23 of the service manual, section "Removal of Main Parts......." you will see the linearity drive motor, a belt and the worm pulley assembly. Most likely the tonearm drive belt has stretched, broken, disintegrated and will need to be replaced. :-k :-k :-k

There should be sources on the web for a replacement belt.

Good luck and welcome to VE...... :)

Fred

mijd
United States of America

Re: Linear Tracking Turntable

Post by mijd » 22 Oct 2018 14:11

Thanks Fred for your answer. I'll take a look and let you know the outcome.

Jim