Ariston Q Deck - ToneArm bent

snap, crackle and pop
wobbs1676
Scotland

Ariston Q Deck - ToneArm bent

Post by wobbs1676 » 10 Oct 2018 09:48

Hi all

Problem 1: So, I just received a Ariston Q Deck from ebay (pretty cheap if I'm honest), it's meant to be a gift for a family member as there using a plastic fantastic Crosley Suitcase TT and thought this would be far better than what he's currently using. However, during transit there as been a number of issues as the TT was meant to be in good shape previously.

Firstly, the tonearm looks like this:
Q_Deck_ToneArm.jpg
ToneArm bent
I've been able to straighten it up slightly and balance and set the VTF using digital scale but I'm not sure if the performance of the tonearm will have suffered as no doubt they'll be some stress fractures or metal fatigue going on, bearings seem fine though and there's no play within the arm itself.

Problem 2: The platter is sitting way to low and touching the plinth, the spindle driving the platter seems to move up and down vertically not by much but enough to cause issues when the platter is place on the deck. The Q Deck has an all-in-one Platter/Sub platter machined from a single piece of metal (I think it's aluminium from memory).
Q_Deck_Platter.JPG
Platter
Q_Deck_Platter.JPG (18.38 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Presumably I'll need to look at this from the bottom of the spindle where the bearing sits and check that out? Anything to look out for? The platter seems to be ok and not bent or deformed in anyway, however I can see black grease or oil in the bottom of the spindle-well and that's gone sticky/gooey so I was hoping to clean this out and add some new grease or oil? I don't know what to use for this deck though - anyone?

Cheers

themisto462
Germany

Re: Ariston Q Deck - ToneArm bent

Post by themisto462 » 10 Oct 2018 10:50

Hello.

For your second problem this post could be interesting:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=67856#p540766

Regards.

wobbs1676
Scotland

Post by wobbs1676 » 10 Oct 2018 11:01

themisto462 wrote:Hello.

For your second problem this post could be interesting:

Regards.
....Interesting, thanks, I'm going to tackle this later on when I'm home. I'll need to see when i open it up what type of bearing/housing i have on this deck, there does appear to be different designs of this depending on the year it was built. All i know is, it as a serial number in the 102K range (if that actually relates to units sold - maybe a later deck - early 90's perhaps?) I've no idea how many of these they sold before shutting up shop.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 10 Oct 2018 16:47

If it was improperly packed you can ask for a refund. The counterweight disaster is a common problem, sadly. I would try to insert a thinner rod so it acts as a support. That and a bit of glue should do the job. Just make sure the thinner rod fits perfectly, hardware stores should have something.

wobbs1676
Scotland

Post by wobbs1676 » 10 Oct 2018 17:38

Solist wrote:If it was improperly packed you can ask for a refund. The counterweight disaster is a common problem, sadly. I would try to insert a thinner rod so it acts as a support. That and a bit of glue should do the job. Just make sure the thinner rod fits perfectly, hardware stores should have something.
I'm getting a refund but as I'm also getting to keep the deck it's worth seeing if I can get it all fixed up. The tonearm looks pretty good now but I dare not mess with it again. I also had the wrong plug with only 3v so I've just tested it with a 12v plug and the motor is purring away nicely thank goodness. Now for the bearing and spindle issue.

wobbs1676
Scotland

Post by wobbs1676 » 11 Oct 2018 10:08

Just to update this thread. I got the Q Deck working - thanks again everyone.

I had the same plastic clip at the bottom end of the bearing as shown in this thread

and sure enough 2 of the 3 legs that held the plastic clip/cup? in place had snapped off, luckily I found a pliable plastic bracket from god knows what similar to the brass strap from the thread above and was able to raise the spindle to it's correct height.

However, I never took apart the spindle and bearing after reading about the thread above I thought I'd try something different, I was using some teflon bike chain lub and a cotton bud to clean the original black grease/oil and noticed that doing so was really helping to turn the original black grease/oil back to a runny liquid. So using a syringe I put a few tiny drops of the bike chain lub from the top of the spindle down towards the bearing, left it for 10 mins and started to manually turn the spindle and low and behold it was as smooth as butter, I did also put 3 drops of motor oil in as well in the same manner, as the bike lub can sometimes feel a tad sticky. So far so good.

I then spend the a further hour or so fine tuning the speed pots/controllers (there a PITA to adjust) at the bottom of the TT as the table was running really slow but after that it seemed to work just fine.

Only thing is a slow start to the platter, once up to speed it's stable but when you first move the arm across to kick start the motor it feels like it's anywhere between 5-8 seconds or so to hit the correct speed. But I'm sure my father-in-law can live with waiting that long before dropping the stylus onto the record.

The deck sounds pretty decent - it's not as good as my Rega P1 (2016) regardless of Cartridge. The Q Deck lacks a bit of get up and go and a little sterile musically but that may be the Ortofon OM5e that's installed or could it be the rubber mat? I've not swapped the cart/stylus as its sounding pretty decent and more than good enough to better the Crosley he's playing stuff on just now. But I have a AT95e and a Rega Carbon spare so might tweak things before handing it over to him.
QDeck_Running.JPG
Running Q Deck

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 11 Oct 2018 16:05

You might want to order a new belt for the Ariston.
If you had to fiddle with the speed settings after the oil change you might have used the wrong oil for the turntable. Check the service manual and completely remove the current oil before replacing it with what is recommended.

Regarding the two turntables. Regas are notorious for running hot as a factory setting, so some speed checking should be required.

wobbs1676
Scotland

Post by wobbs1676 » 11 Oct 2018 17:31

Solist wrote:You might want to order a new belt for the Ariston.
If you had to fiddle with the speed settings after the oil change you might have used the wrong oil for the turntable. Check the service manual and completely remove the current oil before replacing it with what is recommended.

Regarding the two turntables. Regas are notorious for running hot as a factory setting, so some speed checking should be required.
Sorry should have stated I pre emptied a belt change so that was put on the deck as soon as I was able to get the motor running. I've been using an rpm app on an android phone built by someone on this forum (sorry forget his name) to test speed and it's as close I can get it to the correct speed now. With regards to my rega TT the only belt that's made that rock solid on speed is the Edwards audio little belter blue belt, even the reference white belt was running fast after 6 months of use. I'm going to swap the stylus though as I've no idea of its history even though it sounds just ok. The rega carbon might bring some life into the music even if some detail might be lost vs the OM5e.

Cheers

Dick Hertz

Post by Dick Hertz » 13 Oct 2018 17:26

Ugh! Sorry for your damaged TT. One reason I'd be very reluctant to buy a TT on eBay. Poor packaging is pretty common. When a TT is poorly packaged it can be disasterous. That's why I always keep the original boxes and packing materials for all my components.

wobbs1676
Scotland

Post by wobbs1676 » 13 Oct 2018 17:54

I did feel a bit disappointed when it first turned up and the TT needed some real TLC after its journey, but I'm really happy today with it, I fitted the rega carbon cart onto the tonearm this morn and it's really come to life! The OM5e must have been worn as it had no life at all in the music, now it's sounding as good as my P1 did when I first got it...or just about as good as I remember with the carbon stylus 😉👍

Cheers