Ortofon 2M Bronze and Hifi News LP with anti-skate tracks..

snap, crackle and pop
Eggwin

Ortofon 2M Bronze and Hifi News LP with anti-skate tracks..

Post by Eggwin » 25 Sep 2018 15:54

Ok, So i have an RB300 tonearm with a Ortofon 2M Bronze Cart on a Rega P3.

Ive set it up using the baerwald protractor and it seems perfectly in alignment.

I have the VTF set to 1.8 as per Ortofon's recommendation.

However, when i have played the Test LP, the 4 anti-skate tracks at the end of side one are causing me.... irritation.

When reading most reviews, most people say the last track (9) is a nightmare track and will rarely work. but most say 6, 7 and 8 should be fine.

Now when i first tried it, 6 was fine, but 7 had noise from the one speaker.. so i increased the anti-skate and found a sweet spot where it was clear.

When i moved on to track 8 though, i had noise from both speakers.

I had read this can be reduced by increasing VTF and indeed when i increased the force to 2.2g (and increasing anti-skate accordingly) i can play track 8 without any issue.

My worry is is 2.2g for this cart too heavy and will it cause me problems?

Also, is this 'fix' actually covering up another issue i have whereby it 'should' be happy at 1.8g but i have something not aligned correctly? Ive checked the VTA and that seems as close as it can to horizontal so im not sure what it could be?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

BMRR
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Ortofon 2M Bronze and Hifi News LP with anti-skate track

Post by BMRR » 25 Sep 2018 16:13

2.2g does seem a bit much for the 2M Bronze. Ortofon says the ideal VTF is 1.5g and they specify 1.7g as the maximum. It shouldn't need 2.2g in order to track properly.

I'm sure others will chime in with various tips and suggestions, but in the meantime I would suggest that you contact Ortofon and explain the situation to them. I've heard that they are very helpful.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 11.14.53.jpg

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 25 Sep 2018 19:13

Peter Ledrmann of SoundSmith has seen many more worn styli then I ever will. I have tried his advice on anti-skate and find I agree with the sonic results. He does not think test records torture track set the anti-skate correctly:

https://www.sound-smith.com/do-i-need-anti-skating

Eggwin

Post by Eggwin » 26 Sep 2018 12:30

Many Thanks.

i have adjusted my VTF to 1.5g and followed Soundsmith's advice on setting the anti-skate. I guess its now a case of listening and appreciating what i have and not getting bogged down in test records and 'shoulds and should nots'. :)

mrw00ds

Post by mrw00ds » 26 Sep 2018 12:59

My Denon DL110 tracks 6 and 7 on the HFN/RR record but not 8. (I don't think I've ever tried track 9) This doesn't bother me at all, as it sounds great when playing actual music. Best not to worry too much if your records sound fine.

ttechnics

Post by ttechnics » 26 Sep 2018 13:23

Some years back, when I adjusted anti-skate on my Nagaoka MP110 as per Hi-Fi News test record, the reading on the dial was around 1.9 and after some playing time the cantilever had permanently skewed off to one side.

When adjusted as per Soundsmith recommendations, the reading is somewhere around 1.3, music sounds better for it and no more bent cantilever!

Blueguitar

Post by Blueguitar » 27 Sep 2018 15:31

I have set up many turntables with the hifi news lp. Don’t worry about the last two tracks. If it passes the first two tracks and passes the middle bias track on side two you are in great shape. Even if it doesn’t, play an album with an upfront female vocal and see how it sounds - if the last track on the side sounds good, that has always been good enough for me. I’ve had cartridges pass all the tracks and still distort on real music and others that only passed the first track that played music flawlessly.

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 27 Sep 2018 15:44

pivot wrote:Peter Ledrmann of SoundSmith has seen many more worn styli then I ever will. I have tried his advice on anti-skate and find I agree with the sonic results. He does not think test records torture track set the anti-skate correctly:

https://www.sound-smith.com/do-i-need-anti-skating
Nah, Peter Ledermann doesn't know what he's talking about, He doesn't understand physics :roll:

NOT!!!

Peter Ledermann knows exactly what he's talking about, and those who follow the Ledermann/Schroeder anti skate method are finding out just how correct it is.

Cheers,
Al

Sterling1
United States of America

Post by Sterling1 » 28 Sep 2018 23:58

I use the Shure V15typeV Audio Obstacle Course LP to set anti-skate. So far, using both Shure and Ortofon 2M series cartridges mounted to two TTs, setting the anti-skate adjustment to match stylus force has produced sound from the test LP which suggests anti-skate is properly adjusted. Further listening confirms all is well. At any rate, ya might want to get your hands on the Shure Test Record and compare to the results from the test record you are using now.