the home of the turntable

Audio Technica turntable makes rapid-fire clicking noises

snap, crackle and pop

Audio Technica turntable makes rapid-fire clicking noises

Postby Fuera del juego » 14 Sep 2018 00:56

Hi everybody, I have had my Audio Technica LP 120 turntable for about 3 days I am playing it through a Kenwood receiver that I've had since the mid-90s. the Audio Technica turntable sounded great for about 2 days, but this evening it started making a rapid fire clicking noise almost like a machine gun. Do you think that this is caused by the preamp in the turntable or by the phone oh stage in the Kenwood receiver? Thanks for your input.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xh2g516rhro9h5/20180913_180554.mp4?dl=0
Fuera del juego

United States of America

Re: Audio Technica turntable makes rapid-fire clicking noise

Postby musicmn » 14 Sep 2018 01:44

Hi, if you are running this turntable with the built in pre amp turned on then hook it up to a line leve input like AUX, CD, DVD ect. If you are using the kenwoods built in phono stage then turn the built in one in the turntable off. Using both can cause distortion. It is also a good way to find out if the preamp in the turntable is bad or the phono stage in the Kenwood went bad. I hope this helps.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby musicmn » 14 Sep 2018 01:50

After listening to the video it almost sounds mechanical. Disconnect the turntable from the Kenwood receiver and check if that sound is still present. If the sound is still there send this turntable back for a refund or exchange somethings wrong inside.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Fuera del juego » 14 Sep 2018 01:59

musicmn wrote:Hi, if you are running this turntable with the built in pre amp turned on then hook it up to a line leve input like AUX, CD, DVD ect. If you are using the kenwoods built in phono stage then turn the built in one in the turntable off. Using both can cause distortion. It is also a good way to find out if the preamp in the turntable is bad or the phono stage in the Kenwood went bad. I hope this helps.

Hi, and thanks for this. I am not using the Audio-Technica built in preamp, I'm using the phono stage of the Kenwood. That is a good idea though--I'll try turning the preamp on and connecting the turntable to the cd/auxiliary jacks of the receiver.
Last edited by Fuera del juego on 14 Sep 2018 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
Fuera del juego

United States of America

Postby Fuera del juego » 14 Sep 2018 02:00

musicmn wrote:After listening to the video it almost sounds mechanical. Disconnect the turntable from the Kenwood receiver and check if that sound is still present. If the sound is still there send this turntable back for a refund or exchange somethings wrong inside.

The sound is not present when I use the Kenwood receiver on CD or Tuner, only phono. It could still be a phono stage problem in the kenwood. It is pretty old.
Fuera del juego

United States of America

Postby Fuera del juego » 14 Sep 2018 02:15

musicmn wrote:After listening to the video it almost sounds mechanical. Disconnect the turntable from the Kenwood receiver and check if that sound is still present. If the sound is still there send this turntable back for a refund or exchange somethings wrong inside.

Brilliant advice. I did what you said, turned on the preamp and used the CD jack and the exact same noise. This thing is going back. Dare I ask, what turntable do you recommend for under $500?

Thank you!
Fuera del juego

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 14 Sep 2018 03:28

Do you have a wifi router nearby, or even a Chromecast module?
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Fuera del juego » 14 Sep 2018 03:29

Yes, both.
Fuera del juego

United States of America

Postby Ghaasl » 14 Sep 2018 03:32

Fuera del juego wrote:

Brilliant advice. I did what you said, turned on the preamp and used the CD jack and the exact same noise. This thing is going back. Dare I ask, what turntable do you recommend for under $500?

Thank you!

Used Technics direct drive. Rock solid, built to last, legendary drive system, fairly abundant, etc. Look on your local Craigslist, post up some options, and heed the advice of the forum here.
Ghaasl

United States of America

Postby Fuera del juego » 14 Sep 2018 03:45

How about a Technics SL-QD33? $90 locally.
Fuera del juego

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 14 Sep 2018 03:58

Fuera del juego wrote:Yes, both.

They could be causing the noise. You might try moving them or turning them off and see if the noise stops.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Fuera del juego » 14 Sep 2018 04:19

Nah, it's the turntable. I just corroborated by connecting it to a sound bar. Same noise.
Fuera del juego

United States of America

Postby Ghaasl » 14 Sep 2018 11:50

Fuera del juego wrote:How about a Technics SL-QD33? $90 locally.

Decent turntable. P-mount so changing cartridges is plug and play. Not as many cartridge choices if that matters to you. P mount cartridges can still sound great, just not as many choices. You should audition it before you buy it to make sure all functions work as they should. Manuals, reviews, and specs here: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... qd33.shtml
Ghaasl

United States of America

Postby raphaelmabo » 14 Sep 2018 14:35

U-Turn makes perfectly fine turntables, nice looks too!
https://uturnaudio.com/collections/turntables
raphaelmabo
long player
long player

Sweden

Postby Fuera del juego » 14 Sep 2018 14:38

raphaelmabo wrote:U-Turn makes perfectly fine turntables, nice looks too!
https://uturnaudio.com/collections/turntables

Yes I was all set to get the U-turn and then went with the cheaper option (the audio-technica lp 120, refurbished no less). I'm not that hard up for cash and could absorb the pain of buying a more expensive u-turn, but I've read some of the discussions in this forum about the undesirability of belt-driven turntables and so I now I yet again hesitate....
Fuera del juego

United States of America

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms