the home of the turntable

Rega P2 set-up Help - tonarm skips

snap, crackle and pop

Rega P2 set-up Help - tonarm skips

Postby zinnn » 12 Sep 2018 16:46

Hey
So I'm a beginner when it comes to turntables/vinyl. Bought my Rega P2 last year, and it was great all this time, set it up using Youtube guides and had no problems playing records.

Just moved houses, unboxed my TT just now, but for some reason the tonearm skips and jumps when trying to play something.

I have no clue what to do, any advice would be appreciated. Maybe something got damaged when I moved flats? I tried to be super careful when transporting the tt.

Tonearm is RB220, fyi.

The suggested force for the cartridge is 2 grams, which I nailed (I hope), see:
https://imgur.com/a/o8sdJGQ

But when trying to play something this happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtD6OMbjE1I
zinnn
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Sep 2018 16:26

Re: Rega P2 set-up Help - tonarm skips

Postby laffs4sale » 12 Sep 2018 18:32

I don't know, and I'm far from an expert, but there's a magnet at the back of the tonearm base that sets anti-skate. Check to see if it became dislodged.
laffs4sale
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 02 Aug 2017 13:43

United States of America

Re: Rega P2 set-up Help - tonarm skips

Postby markcass » 12 Sep 2018 18:56

Hi

Maybe the counterweight at the back has shifted, so the downforce is much too low and the cartridge can't track a record properly.

Try balancing the arm by winding the counterweight back until it 'floats', and then re-set the tracking force to the correct level. IIRC, one full turn from the balanced state is equivalent to 2 grams.

Ideally, the counterweight should be removed when the turntable is shipped anywhere, to protect the arm bearings (though they are fairly robust on this arm, in my experience).

HTH

Mark
markcass
long player
long player
contributor
 
Posts: 1241
Images: 15
Joined: 26 Oct 2002 23:16
Location: Surrey

United Kingdom

Re: Rega P2 set-up Help - tonarm skips

Postby zinnn » 12 Sep 2018 19:20

laffs4sale wrote:I don't know, and I'm far from an expert, but there's a magnet at the back of the tonearm base that sets anti-skate. Check to see if it became dislodged.


how could I do that? unscrew the tonearm?
that's the view: https://imgur.com/a/qYa6ZB7
zinnn
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Sep 2018 16:26

Re: Rega P2 set-up Help - tonarm skips

Postby zinnn » 12 Sep 2018 19:22

markcass wrote:Hi

Maybe the counterweight at the back has shifted, so the downforce is much too low and the cartridge can't track a record properly.

Try balancing the arm by winding the counterweight back until it 'floats', and then re-set the tracking force to the correct level. IIRC, one full turn from the balanced state is equivalent to 2 grams.

Ideally, the counterweight should be removed when the turntable is shipped anywhere, to protect the arm bearings (though they are fairly robust on this arm, in my experience).

HTH

Mark



thanks Mark, before I moved I took everything apart and stored safely for transport, so I hope it's not damaged. I did reset the counterweight like 3 times today, to no success :(
zinnn
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Sep 2018 16:26

Re: Rega P2 set-up Help - tonarm skips

Postby kenbrady » 13 Sep 2018 04:31

If the tracking weight is ok measured with a gage then see if the stylus is damaged.
kenbrady
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 24 Feb 2018 07:54

Canada

Re: Rega P2 set-up Help - tonarm skips

Postby laffs4sale » 14 Sep 2018 15:31

zinnn wrote:
laffs4sale wrote:I don't know, and I'm far from an expert, but there's a magnet at the back of the tonearm base that sets anti-skate. Check to see if it became dislodged.


how could I do that? unscrew the tonearm?
that's the view: https://imgur.com/a/qYa6ZB7


I thought the magnet was visible on the other side, but I don't have first-hand knowledge. I'm sorry.
laffs4sale
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 02 Aug 2017 13:43

United States of America

Re: Rega P2 set-up Help - tonarm skips

Postby nat » 14 Sep 2018 22:46

If my memory is correct, the magnets are housed in the arm rest/ cuing mechanism gantry.
What direction does the arm skip - if it is careening inward, the stylus is probably missing, if it going outward, the antiskating may be too high - remember that the scale is backwards. If it is sticking, check the cuing platform - it may be too high, or it might have gotten tilted, and it's blocking the arm. Or could the arm base have gotten twisted, so that the arm hits a stop partway through the side? Otherwise, it's likely just what you don't want, which is bad bearings...
nat
long player
long player
contributor
 
Posts: 3641
Joined: 07 Nov 2002 20:05

Re: Rega P2 set-up Help - tonarm skips

Postby zinnn » 15 Sep 2018 09:53

Hey guys - so problem is fixed.

What happened is I unscrewed the tonearm, wiggled it a bit, tapped on the magnet bit and put it all back together - worked like a charm.
zinnn
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 12 Sep 2018 16:26

Return to Turntables and Tonearms