Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

turning japanese
audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Post by audiopile » 15 Sep 2018 18:09

Can we keep in mind that this was the guys second post - maybe he's new to the wonderful/crazy world of turntables ? So why not go a little more gently with the adverbs and adjectives. Since everything in LP playback makes a difference -one advantage those of us with lots/too much experience with the vinyl spinners have is the ability to filter out the non-essential from the critical. Defining that is probably helpful for folks just starting to maintain their own equipment - and given the dearth of turntable servicing organizations - this is the future of vinyl playback from where I sit ?

o01

Post by o01 » 15 Sep 2018 20:03

Thank you guys.

I am relatively new to analogue world. Technics is my second turntable.

Strangely enough, it returned to 33:58 after 3 + hours break, when it cooled down I guess. Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure if these speed anomalies affect the playback quality at all. I measure the speed with the RPM app. The 33.54 RPM is my benchmark, it matches the tracks duration while the 33.33 RPM is to slow. Bear with me.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 15 Sep 2018 20:33

o01 wrote:Thank you guys.

Strangely enough, it returned to 33:58 after 3 + hours break, when it cooled down I guess. Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure if these speed anomalies affect the playback quality at all. I measure the speed with the RPM app. The 33.54 RPM is my benchmark, it matches the tracks duration while the 33.33 RPM is to slow. Bear with me.
Understandably, Swiss clocks and watches are some of the best timepieces made, and I see you're from Switzerland.
However, turntables are not timepieces, obviously, and with that in mind, can and do have slight deviations that are allowable, and no need to fuss or obsess over.
Your Technics player is just fine, enjoy its music.
Oh, and by the way, those "apps" are not really accurate as the build in strobe itself.
Better to use "old school" technology designed for "old school" machines.

o01

Post by o01 » 15 Sep 2018 21:12

Spinner45 wrote:
o01 wrote:Thank you guys.

Understandably, Swiss clocks and watches are some of the best timepieces made, and I see you're from Switzerland.
However, turntables are not timepieces, obviously, and with that in mind, can and do have slight deviations that are allowable, and no need to fuss or obsess over.
Your Technics player is just fine, enjoy its music.
Oh, and by the way, those "apps" are not really accurate as the build in strobe itself.
Better to use "old school" technology designed for "old school" machines.

Dof

Post by Dof » 16 Sep 2018 10:38

audiopile wrote:Can we keep in mind that this was the guys second post - maybe he's new to the wonderful/crazy world of turntables ? So why not go a little more gently with the adverbs and adjectives. Since everything in LP playback makes a difference -one advantage those of us with lots/too much experience with the vinyl spinners have is the ability to filter out the non-essential from the critical. Defining that is probably helpful for folks just starting to maintain their own equipment - and given the dearth of turntable servicing organizations - this is the future of vinyl playback from where I sit ?
Thanks.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 17 Sep 2018 23:56

A great choice. I just fixed up a SL-1300, SL-1800 and SL-1800 MkII recently and have had several SL-1700s and a SL-1401. Also SL-D3, SL-D202,etc. Hard to beat them. Enjoy!