the home of the turntable

Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

snap, crackle and pop

Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby o01 » 18 Aug 2018 18:55

I wanna get vintage Technics turntable, fully automatic and direct-drive. I narrowed my choices to six models:

TECHNICS SL-Q33
TECHNICS SL-1310
TECHNICS SL-Q3
TECHNICS SL-3310
TECHNICS SL-1900
TECHNICS SL-D3


Which one should I pick? Please advise.

Thank you!
o01
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 11:30

Switzerland

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby rewfew » 18 Aug 2018 22:27

Jimmy Smith made the record. You can own the table. Any Number Can Win.

Image
rewfew
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 999
Images: 70
Joined: 08 Mar 2009 17:50
Location: Kansas City Missouri

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby musicmn » 18 Aug 2018 23:16

Hi, I'm sure everyone who responds to this post will have a different turntable that they like. But I agree with rewfew I don't think you could go wrong with anyone of them. But my pick would be the sl 1310, I have two sl 1300 and they are great turntables. The sl 1300 and 1310 are the same just a different color. And as long as the 1310 has been serviced and the suspension of the platter and tonearm base is in tact. It should be a great preforming turntable.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor
 
Posts: 2093
Images: 9
Joined: 02 Jan 2012 23:05
Location: Milwaukee Wisconsin

United States of America

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby Japi Roelofs » 18 Aug 2018 23:35

You left out my favourite: SL-1600MK2.
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
contributor
 
Posts: 4109
Images: 20
Joined: 05 Apr 2008 16:53
Location: Netherlands

Netherlands

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby eddie edirol » 18 Aug 2018 23:59

Theyre all great, but my vote is for the quartz models
TECHNICS SL-Q33
TECHNICS SL-1310MKII
TECHNICS SL-Q3

Cant go wrong with any of them
eddie edirol
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 865
Images: 33
Joined: 26 Apr 2011 07:42
Location: New Jersey

United States of America

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby o01 » 19 Aug 2018 08:55

Japi Roelofs wrote:You left out my favourite: SL-1600MK2.



Sorry about that, these are the choices I got.
o01
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 11:30

Switzerland

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby o01 » 19 Aug 2018 08:56

rewfew wrote:Jimmy Smith made the record. You can own the table. Any Number Can Win.

Image


Thanks.
o01
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 11:30

Switzerland

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby o01 » 19 Aug 2018 09:03

eddie edirol wrote:Theyre all great, but my vote is for the quartz models
TECHNICS SL-Q33
TECHNICS SL-1310MKII
TECHNICS SL-Q3

Cant go wrong with any of them


Seems that Q33 is a bit inferior to the Q3. They're almost the same but Q33 has a sensor which automatically detects the size of record. Ain't that troublesome?
o01
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 11:30

Switzerland

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby o01 » 19 Aug 2018 09:10

musicmn wrote:Hi, I'm sure everyone who responds to this post will have a different turntable that they like. But I agree with rewfew I don't think you could go wrong with anyone of them. But my pick would be the sl 1310, I have two sl 1300 and they are great turntables. The sl 1300 and 1310 are the same just a different color. And as long as the 1310 has been serviced and the suspension of the platter and tonearm base is in tact. It should be a great preforming turntable.


Thank you - it's non-quartz, isn't it?
o01
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 11:30

Switzerland

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby eddie edirol » 19 Aug 2018 09:14

o01 wrote:
eddie edirol wrote:Theyre all great, but my vote is for the quartz models
TECHNICS SL-Q33
TECHNICS SL-1310MKII
TECHNICS SL-Q3

Cant go wrong with any of them


Seems that Q33 is a bit inferior to the Q3. They're almost the same but Q33 has a sensor which automatically detects the size of record. Ain't that troublesome?

Those sensors arent troublesome. If the tone arm has a separate motor to move it, that might be the troublesome part...but it usually only needs a belt.
eddie edirol
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 865
Images: 33
Joined: 26 Apr 2011 07:42
Location: New Jersey

United States of America

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby Chiltern » 19 Aug 2018 09:25

The 33 has the same motor as the 3 but is much more electronic. The arm automation uses a seperate motor which has a small drive belt which will probably need replacing but it only take a few minutes. Disc size and end of disc sensing with optical sensors. Nice clever deck when working well but IMO can be troublesome, I've had 3 in the past, one perfect for over 30 years the other 2 with sensor problems. The Q3 is mechanical in the auto operation.

I'm not familiar with the 1310MkII, I have a 1610 MkI which works well and is mechanical but IIRC the MkII models were electronic like the Q33.

Usual great Technics build quality with all
Chiltern
long player
long player
contributor
 
Posts: 1005
Images: 197
Joined: 11 Apr 2008 11:12
Location: West Country, England

England

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby o01 » 19 Aug 2018 09:49

Chiltern wrote:The 33 has the same motor as the 3 but is much more electronic. The arm automation uses a seperate motor which has a small drive belt which will probably need replacing but it only take a few minutes. Disc size and end of disc sensing with optical sensors. Nice clever deck when working well but IMO can be troublesome, I've had 3 in the past, one perfect for over 30 years the other 2 with sensor problems. The Q3 is mechanical in the auto operation.

I'm not familiar with the 1310MkII, I have a 1610 MkI which works well and is mechanical but IIRC the MkII models were electronic like the Q33.

Usual great Technics build quality with all


Thanks! So if I understand correctly the Q3 doesn't have any belt while the 33 does, and as so is less troublesome? Are Q33 and Q3 identical as far as SQ goes?
Last edited by o01 on 19 Aug 2018 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
o01
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 11:30

Switzerland

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby o01 » 19 Aug 2018 09:50

eddie edirol wrote:
o01 wrote:
eddie edirol wrote:Theyre all great, but my vote is for the quartz models
TECHNICS SL-Q33
TECHNICS SL-1310MKII
TECHNICS SL-Q3

Cant go wrong with any of them


Seems that Q33 is a bit inferior to the Q3. They're almost the same but Q33 has a sensor which automatically detects the size of record. Ain't that troublesome?

Those sensors arent troublesome. If the tone arm has a separate motor to move it, that might be the troublesome part...but it usually only needs a belt.


Thanks!
o01
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 11:30

Switzerland

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby o01 » 19 Aug 2018 14:48

musicmn wrote:Hi, I'm sure everyone who responds to this post will have a different turntable that they like. But I agree with rewfew I don't think you could go wrong with anyone of them. But my pick would be the sl 1310, I have two sl 1300 and they are great turntables. The sl 1300 and 1310 are the same just a different color. And as long as the 1310 has been serviced and the suspension of the platter and tonearm base is in tact. It should be a great preforming turntable.


So I vacillate between TECHNICS SL-1310 and TECHNICS SL-Q3.

As far as I understand SL-1310 is non-quartz, don't wanna have problems with speeds - are my worries irrational?

Is it superior to TECHNICS SL-Q3, or equal, what are the prons and cons? Which one breaks down more often?

They have SL-1310 in good condition. It is a tank - it wights 9.4kg while Q3 is 7.1kg.

Thank you!
Last edited by o01 on 19 Aug 2018 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
o01
junior member
junior member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 15 Aug 2018 11:30

Switzerland

Re: Please advice on vintage Technics turntable

Postby Ghaasl » 19 Aug 2018 15:04

From what I’ve read/heard Technics direct drive turntables are of really good quality. Speed, even in non quartz locked models, is always spot on. As with anything of that age, it’s always possible for them to break down. The likelihood of it happening is low, but still possible. I’ll let the Technics experts break the models down, assess their pros and cons, and make specific recommendations. Good luck and welcome!
Ghaasl
senior member
senior member
 
Posts: 295
Joined: 02 Jul 2017 22:20
Location: Becker, Minnesota.

United States of America

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms