the home of the turntable

Why do we do it?

snap, crackle and pop

Why do we do it?

Postby rufusfirefly » 10 Aug 2018 22:09

I have been fascinated with Hi-Fi since the early 1980's and have owned a few turntables along the way, I have also had a go at DIY turntables. Yet, I still feel like a dog chasing it's own tail. The world of Hi-Fi stretches from cheap and nasty to expensive and exotic but what's the end goal? What is it that we are all searching for?
rufusfirefly

United Kingdom

Re: Why do we do it?

Postby Doug G. » 10 Aug 2018 22:34

I could solve this case in five minutes if I wanted to worry!

:D

Doug
Doug G.
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby lenjack » 10 Aug 2018 23:15

And I've been doing it since my freshman year in college, 1961. Had to take an "arts" class. Choice of Art, or Classical Music. Easy choice for me. Really liked exposure to classical music, and wanted to hear it properly at home, but had nothing but an RCA all in one Victrola. On my way home from class, I picked up a copy of the 10/1961 HiFi Stereo Review, and was hooked. Within 3 months, I had an AR turntable, with ADC pickup, a Dynatuner, a Dynaco PAS-2 preamp, an Eico HF 89 power amp, and AR-2a speakers, the electronics kit built. What a trip!!

How about the rest of you?
lenjack

United States of America

Postby edradour » 10 Aug 2018 23:31

I have been hooked since early childhood - my old dad was an electronics engineer. He built amps and speakers that people locally literally queued up to hear (talking 50s here). Since then I have pursued something approaching perfection in TTs.....but I have also learned to love the common, often bizarre approaches to making popular music accessible to the masses in the huge variety of record players produced from wind up grams to super-dooper stereo. I just love to get them going again and imagine the pleasure they gave to their first owners. I think that's what I am searching for.
edradour

Scotland

Postby JDJX » 11 Aug 2018 01:24

Audio is like a lot of things that humans like to do....for the same basic reasons.....

For example, some people like to raise African violets .
Why?
1) Because it's a challenge to get them as perfect and beautiful as possible.
2) The end result of their efforts really pleases them.

Audio is much the same. :)
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby Ghaasl » 11 Aug 2018 01:33

I’ve always been a music nut. I was born in late 1978, so I grew up in the waning days of turntables and vinyl. I had a Fisher-Price record player as a young child. I remember learning how to use the Panasonic all in one my folks had. It was a full auto with stacking feature. I think my dad bought it in 1975 or so. They had a pretty good record collection. Then CDs came about. We had a Fisher Studio Standard CD player hooked up to the Panasonic. That’s how I blew the speakers, Panasonic Thrusters. Then they bought a Bose wave system. I had by this time acquired a decent receiver and 5 disc carousel for my bedroom. Both Kenwood, I believe. The ugly black stuff. My brother hand made me some speakers. He was a big audio junkie. He had a Technics linear tracker, Pioneer receiver, Sony CD carousel, and Cerwin/Vega speakers. When I moved from home, I was forced to sell my little system so I could pay rent as I didn’t have a job yet. Then I had half of my CDs stolen out of my truck (all of my Zeppelin, Clapton, Stones among others). Crestfallen, I got away from listening to music for a while. I was still in a band, had long hair, etc. I just didn’t do much listening. Fast forward a few years, my dad bought a Memorex all in one record destroyer and started listening to records again. I got back into music again, received one of those record destroyers for Christmas along with my folks’ collection. It’s grown from 50 or so albums and that machine to around 400 and a nice all Pioneer vinyl rig. I’ll likely never buy another turntable unless this one stops working. I’m perfectly happy with it and the Nag-110. The SX3700 just sings and the S-D1 speakers are more than satisfying. Currently playing Chicago II.
Ghaasl

United States of America

Postby rufusfirefly » 11 Aug 2018 01:39

Funnily enough my mother-in-law has a gift for growing African violets on her kitchen windowsill.

The reason I ask this rather odd question is that I am still not sure what I am trying to achieve with Hi-Fi, in particular analogue stuff. Do people like us find audio utopia? Will there ever come a time when you listen to a piece of equipment and the hairs on the back of your neck go up and the your eardrums go in to rapture? Has anyone experienced this?
rufusfirefly

United Kingdom

Postby lenjack » 11 Aug 2018 01:45

"Will there ever come a time when you listen to a piece of equipment"
No, you shouldn't be listening to the equipment... you should be listening to the music.
lenjack

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 11 Aug 2018 02:45

rufusfirefly wrote:Will there ever come a time when you listen to a piece of equipment and the hairs on the back of your neck go up and the your eardrums go in to rapture? Has anyone experienced this?

Yes, Michael Fremer. 8-[

For the rest of us audio "peons", I think it's good to buy the best equipment you can afford at the time and if you can upgrade, fine...But, always keep in mind the music...You've got to love the music before anything else! I started with a GE Wildcat portable phonograph and started loving the sounds I was hearing out of a box of old 45's...Fast forward to five years back, when I bought my first "real" turntable, a Dual 1226! I had quite a few different record players before that, of course...But the way to hear vinyl, I found out, is to get something with a removable headshell, so you can experiment a little and find what sounds the best to you...A lot of it starts with the cartridge, a good stylus and decent speakers...Room acoustics and treatments/position/placement of the equipment all play a role, too! If I can get 95% of the way there, I'm pretty happy...You have to spend uber-bucks to get to that 100, but if I'm hearing what I'm supposed to hearing on discs that are recorded properly on quality vinyl with a quality-built decent turntable, then I'm still good!

I've also grown to like the finding, collecting and restoring of old turntables, finding, digging and cleaning up old records and promoting vinyl and helping others get joy out of it, as well...There is not ONE end goal here, but a myriad number of them...It's the journey, not the destination, that counts in the end! =D>

Plus, it keeps me busy and out of trouble! :wink: What more do you need???? :D
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 11 Aug 2018 04:30

When you get carried away by the music, you don't need to ask why we do it.

Cheers,
Alec
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby Doug G. » 11 Aug 2018 05:20

Alec124c41 wrote:When you get carried away by the music, you don't need to ask why we do it.

Cheers,
Alec

Exactly! THAT'S why we do it.

Doug
Doug G.
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby rufusfirefly » 11 Aug 2018 11:24

lenjack wrote:"Will there ever come a time when you listen to a piece of equipment"
No, you shouldn't be listening to the equipment... you should be listening to the music.

That's what I've been doing wrong! I suppose this means that the end goal is "Listening Enjoyment". Thanks for all the replies now back to work on the turntable.
rufusfirefly

United Kingdom

Postby capelyddol » 11 Aug 2018 13:29

When I was about five years of age my uncle, an antique dealer, introduced me to what seemed to someone of my height, a huge and incredibly beautiful floor-standing phonograph. I'd never seen or heard one before. When he placed a 78 rpm record on the turntable, wound up the big handle on the side of the thing, and lowered the head of the arm (which must have weighed at least half a pound!) onto the record, I couldn't believe my ears as he opened the polished wood doors on the front and amazing music issued forth. I remember running round the back to see where it was coming from, and being shocked to find nothing, and no-one, there.
So began my love for the musical sound. Despite the hisses and crackles, the music shone through in all its glory.
That was back in 1951, I'm seventy-two now and the memory of what I heard that day has never left me. For me, analogue music is the closest reproduction of the live performance it's possible to get. I shun the digital because it loses so much of the presence a good analogue vinyl record can return, and that includes these modern vinyl discs the music industry is churning out these days. The original signal is run through digital processors before it ever ends up on a vinyl record. I've tried the best in CD reproduction (I still own a Linn Ikemi CD player) but always returned to analogue.
I've had numerous 'sound systems' over the years and the one I have now, as you'll see from my signature, will probably see me out - though one day I may be tempted again by a Linn Sondek LP12. It's analogue from the stylus through to the speakers, the only exceptions being the DAC for converting TV/DVD/Blu-Ray sound, and the aforesaid Ikemi which is permanently switched off these days.
Altogether, it reproduces beautiful music, allowing me to immerse myself and forget the hi-fi altogether, which is surely what it's all about.
Though, I still not sure it sounds quite as good as that old phonograph in my uncle's antique shop.
capelyddol

France

Postby wzevon1951 » 11 Aug 2018 14:12

Would the equipment still hold its fascination if your hearing disappeared tomorrow?
wzevon1951
contributor

England

Postby davidsss » 11 Aug 2018 14:24

I can get the hairs to stand up on the back of my neck listening to a crappy radio. It just works a lot better with a good system. I haven't upgraded for quite a while now, big set of upgrades maybe 6-7 years ago, and I'm sitting here listening to Creedence's first record and I know it is worth it.

It's all about the music.

DS
davidsss
long player
long player
contributor

Australia

Next

Return to Turntables and Tonearms