Columbia/Pye tonearm set-down adjusment.

snap, crackle and pop
Tordisc101

Columbia/Pye tonearm set-down adjusment.

Post by Tordisc101 » 10 Aug 2018 21:21

Greetings. Thanks for adding me to the forum.

I have a Columbia Pye 360 Stereo phonograph.
I need to adjust the vertical set-down point as it stops descending about 1/5 inch above the record. Which screw do I need to turn to lower the point so that it hits the record?
Note that this is the North American version with the Garrard changer and tonearm and not the British BSR version.
Attachments
columbia pye phonograph.jpg
(10.23 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

edradour

Re: Columbia/Pye tonearm set-down adjusment.

Post by edradour » 10 Aug 2018 21:42

Hello and welcome - not clear from the photo which model Garrard that is but it looks like a 3000. Lift the tonearm and you should see a screw head right at the base - turn anti-clockwise to move the set down out and vice versa. If you have a 10" record to hand, set that up and all should be well - if not - it's trial and error. I think we called that the Pye Achoic back here in the homeland - nice player!

Tordisc101

Post by Tordisc101 » 10 Aug 2018 22:17

Yes, this is the same player as the European Pye Achoic. However, North America used the Garrard 3000 changer but with a unique tonearm, never used in any other phonograph, Garrard or otherwise.

Wonderful player but a NIGHTMARE to work on.
Attachments
tonearm2.jpg
(199.96 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
tonearm1.jpg
(198.82 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

edradour

Post by edradour » 10 Aug 2018 23:19

That IS an odd tonearm - does that little control on the top switch styli? Also I note (having read it properly!) that your tonearm isn't reaching the record surface?? 1st question - does it have the original cartridge? What is it? I rather like the 3000 and I think I might still have one in one of the ancient (40s) players I converted from 78 only (if I haven't sold it). If you don't get a more helpful response I shall search it out and see if I can determine what controls the set down height. I assume you have tried the obvious - defeating the hardened old grease that is the curse of all old Garrard changers? If not - turn a hair dryer on the tonearm mechanics for a minute or two to soften that old gunk and see if it helps

Tordisc101

Post by Tordisc101 » 10 Aug 2018 23:39

edradour wrote:That IS an odd tonearm - does that little control on the top switch styli? Also I note (having read it properly!) that your tonearm isn't reaching the record surface?? 1st question - does it have the original cartridge? What is it? I rather like the 3000 and I think I might still have one in one of the ancient (40s) players I converted from 78 only (if I haven't sold it). If you don't get a more helpful response I shall search it out and see if I can determine what controls the set down height. I assume you have tried the obvious - defeating the hardened old grease that is the curse of all old Garrard changers? If not - turn a hair dryer on the tonearm mechanics for a minute or two to soften that old gunk and see if it helps
Thank you for your interest. Yes, "odd" is puting it mildly. Garrard made this changer specifically for the North American version of this model. In fact, Pye built the electronics which are, again, uinique to this model. It has been such a nightmare to restore, involving three very experienced techicians who were left scratching their heads, that I am reluctant to adjust anything without hearing from someone experienced in this specific tonearm.

edradour

Post by edradour » 10 Aug 2018 23:53

There is an ex-Pye engineer/designer on this forum - https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/for ... y.php?f=14 - along with an awful lot of other experienced enthusiasts.

Tordisc101

Post by Tordisc101 » 11 Aug 2018 01:07

edradour wrote:There is an ex-Pye engineer/designer on this forum - https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/for ... y.php?f=14 - along with an awful lot of other experienced enthusiasts.
Thanks very much. I will try that forum as well.