A Technics dilemma...and I need your help

turning japanese
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

A Technics dilemma...and I need your help

Post by vinyl master » 29 Jul 2018 23:04

OK, guys...You may have seen my latest purchase of this fabulous Technics SL-D3 turntable...

It sports an unknown cartridge that Japi thinks is a Sanyo MG-29...

I spoke about it here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 6&t=106017

Now, in the past year, I also bought this SL-D202 and a fabulous Ortofon Concorde STD cartridge to go with it!

I mentioned it here...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 18&t=96822

It was my first Technics...and I'm a little partial to it...

I next found this SL-D2 locally and it's a one-owner machine!

It also sports a very nice Audio Technica cartridge...

...and it has the nicest-looking dust cover of the three! My plan was to refurbish it and possibly give the plinth a makeover like this one I saw online!

I do have some very nice veneer that would probably work for any of these three! But, I am faced with a dilemma of sorts...I am still considering trading one of these to my friend, Chris, for some radio work he has done for me...and/or some great radios in his collection that have been on my wish list, which he says he has, and I think he could probably use a quality turntable in his collection, as he deals mostly with much older equipment...The D3 has a small issue with the hinges and the dust cover probably needs the most work...It is fully intact, though, and looks like it will play well with some TLC...Out of all three, the SL-D202, the SL-D2 and the newly acquired SL-D3, which one would you guys trade if you were in my position??? I have said before that I didn't want the SL-D2 to be #30, but it has grown on me as I've continued to enjoy it! Is there one of these that is the "odd man out" and why do you think so??? :-k

How do these compare regarding specs, too?

Keep in mind that I could always put a new cartridge on the D3 and buy a better-looking dust cover, as well...I haven't put that much $$$ into it yet...

I could also switch cartridges, like say...put the Sanyo (or another one altogether...Nagaoka? Denon?) on the D2 and use the AT on the D3...

I'd love to keep it to 30 turntables ideally, but I have no problem bringing in one or two spare orphans, if I see them at the right prices...Still, if one of those had to go, which two would you keep and why? :-k

Any comments, thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated! =D>

DasherF
United States of America

Re: A Technics dilemma...and I need your help

Post by DasherF » 30 Jul 2018 04:20

My general statement is that if you give the one with the Concorde, keep the Concorde...
I would keep the highest end table(s) unless the lowest one is the least amount of work and you're happiest with it.
I gotta admit it would be hard for me to pick one of mine to give up... I apologise if I'm not much help here.

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 30 Jul 2018 04:40

Give Chris the d202 with the Sanyo cart, make the d3 the main table with the audio technica cart.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Jul 2018 05:47

Hmmm...I hadn't thought of that, Drew! Decisions, decisions... #-o

By the way, after looking into it some more...

The SL-D202 weighs 6 kg measuring 430 x 106 x 375mm
The SL-D2 weighs 6.9 kg and measures 430 x 130 x 375mm

and...

The SL-D3 weighs 7.1 kg and also measures 430 x 130 x 375mm

I'm almost tempted to keep the D202 because of the smaller footprint (and because I have so many tables now), but that little difference could be negligible...

Still, any other thoughts, guys? :-k

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 30 Jul 2018 13:02

So you have 3 Technics turntables, and you only want to keep 2, is that correct?

I would move the dust cover and cartridge from the D2 to the D3, keep the D3 and the D202, and pass on the D2. That way you have one semi-auto and one fully auto, and since the D2 and D3 are basically the same turntable apart from the semi/full function, the D2 can go. At least that's what I would do...

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 30 Jul 2018 14:00

(...keep the Concorde...) [-o<

eddie edirol
United States of America

Post by eddie edirol » 30 Jul 2018 17:58

Japi Roelofs wrote:So you have 3 Technics turntables, and you only want to keep 2, is that correct?

I would move the dust cover and cartridge from the D2 to the D3, keep the D3 and the D202, and pass on the D2. That way you have one semi-auto and one fully auto, and since the D2 and D3 are basically the same turntable apart from the semi/full function, the D2 can go. At least that's what I would do...
I like Japi's idea better!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Jul 2018 03:49

I think I like Japi's idea, too! I can always count on you guys to come through!! =D> You guys rock!! 8)

So...Give him the D2 and switch the dust covers...I think I'll keep the AT cart and give him the Sanyo, but I'm going to look into a replacement stylus for it, as the D2 still functions excellently...Any thoughts on replacement styli (maybe something good, but cheap) for one of these carts? :-k

I'm gonna see what Gary at VoM has to say, too, but I could always use any other recommendations! =D>

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 31 Jul 2018 04:38

Depending on how his taste is in the music department, I'd go "reasonable". Good, yet affordable. You got 'tables to feed (as if that cart-full yesterday didn't do it...)!
What a day you had, Brother! I am in awe... =D> :mrgreen: =D>