Now I need a new TT to go with the new cartridge

snap, crackle and pop
IndigoRock2001

Now I need a new TT to go with the new cartridge

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 19 Jul 2018 03:37

Boy this is an expensive hobby though "hobby" sounds a bit trite for how I feel about it. Just got a new MC cart and a new fairly expensive Pro-Ject preamp to go with the cart. Now it seems I need a new TT to go with the both of them,,,, sheeeesh! I can now hear motor noise, and apparently the TT is unshielded since it hums I mean the cart or the preamp or both hum,, I'm going to have to re-ground everything trying to chase down the source of the hum, but I have a sneaking sensation that it's the TT, an Audio Technica LP-120. Anyone have any interesting comments about how to ground without burying the whole mess in the earth? My next bright idea is to plug the USB into the new preamp and plug that into the amp, seems to me that would ground it,,, maybe,,, anyway it's all fun to a certain extent. gotta love it.
indi

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Now I need a new TT to go with the new cartridge

Post by vinyl master » 19 Jul 2018 06:08

As long as you keep it in fun, Indi, it IS fun!! if you really want a new TT, I might suggest going for a U-Turn or maybe a Fluance, perhaps...Then again, many love their LP-120's...Regarding the hum, one of the most common causes of hum can be dirty cartridge connections...Cleaning the connections (There have been many threads here and elsewhere about that) may Help with the hum...It's a start anyway...

Of course, if you DO really want another TT and wouldn't mind going "used", there are plenty of great models out there that wouldn't break the bank and would be great (maybe better) for that MC cart...If you're game, let us know whereabouts you are located...I could probably find you some quality candidates in your area to go check out in person! :D

Besides, no one ever said you couldn't own more than one TT... :wink:

At least, no one ever told ME! 8-[

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 19 Jul 2018 06:45

May you tell us what MC cart is that and what model of Pro-Ject preamp you bought ?

Connections (headshell and cables) can indeed be faulty and need to be checked or fiddled with.

Extra platter dampening (thick shielding mat (s)) with some particularly magnetic cartridge can be required.

Desoldering of the ground in the tonearm or the top plate if ever can in some case be the source of hums.

Finally, the preamp "shield" may be "weak" or it's PSU too close to the TT "unshielded" cables.

poutrew

Post by poutrew » 19 Jul 2018 07:51

I have a LP120 and a had a troublesome hum problem a while back. I couldn't figure out where the problem was, but I eventually stumbled across the solution. I had an old monster 8 outlet power strip, the kind with filters built into it, and when I plugged everything (TT & amp) into it instead of just plugging things into the wall outlet, the ground loop disappeared...

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 19 Jul 2018 23:51

poutrew wrote:I have a LP120 and a had a troublesome hum problem a while back. I couldn't figure out where the problem was, but I eventually stumbled across the solution. I had an old monster 8 outlet power strip, the kind with filters built into it, and when I plugged everything (TT & amp) into it instead of just plugging things into the wall outlet, the ground loop disappeared...

That IS really interesting. I've been thinking that the prob is unshielded cables resting on power cords, powerstrips plugged into powerstrips, the whole thing is a complete mess and probably an electro-magnet field nightmare. It's going to be a lot of work. But as I said I find this kind of thing weirdly fun.
indi