the home of the turntable

Pioneer PL-15 - Anti-Skating adjustment

snap, crackle and pop

Pioneer PL-15 - Anti-Skating adjustment

Postby andreantunes » 16 Jul 2018 11:15

Dear all,
I need some Help.

I have a Pionner PL-15 turntable. Works great, sounds great.
I'm using an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge.
In some of my records (old or new) I have problem.
Usually on the last track of some records the player keeps repeating some grooves.

The player is correctly leveled. The tonearm is balanced.
The tracking force used is 1,8 grams, the one recommended by Ortofon.
Besides the counterweight, I confirm the tracing force with the scale.

The Pioneer PL-15 has a small weight to adjust the anti-skating.
With the weight on the correct position (the first one, for a tracking force of 1,5~2,0 grams) the problem persists on some records.
I changed the weight position of the anti-skating device to a higher value.
Also increased the tonearm tracking force slightly and I got better results, with less repeating grooves on the last track.

Any ideas from you guys?
Some photos are attached.
Thank you

Andre Antunes
Lisbon - Portugal
Attachments
IMG_6244JPG.jpg
IMG_6242JPG.jpg
IMG_6241JPG.jpg
andreantunes

Portugal

Re: Pioneer PL-15 - Anti-Skating adjustment

Postby Solist » 16 Jul 2018 11:49

I believe this is an auto-return issue. Some records have less or shorter tracks than others which may render the issue as non existent. Try and move the tonearm by hand over the part where you hear the looping. If it feels like it has some resistance its probably because some piece of the auto-return mechanism is interfering with the tonearm ability to move freely. Had the same problem on mine TT.

Other than that it might be a bearing issue of the tonearm itself but I would try and remove the platter first. It would also be advisable to have a pair of extra hands. Then remove the headshell and very carefully lift the top plate and try and move the tonearm and look underneath if there is any part of the mechanism that doesnt seem to work as intended (everything should move smoothly without resistance). Check the service manual. Its probably time for some cleaning and applying some new grease or whatever lube the service manual reccomends. If everything fails you can remove the auto-return mechanism. If the problem is still there then the issue is in the tonearm bearings.
Solist

Slovenia

Postby andreantunes » 16 Jul 2018 12:08

Hi Solist,

Thank you so much for the Help.
I think you may be absolutely right.
The auto-return mechanism as stopped working for some weeks now.
Not sure why and the service manual is not helpful on this matter.
I will check, clean and lub what's in my reach.
IF it keeps like this, I'll have it serviced.
Thank you for your Help

Andre
andreantunes

Portugal

Postby andreantunes » 17 Jul 2018 11:04

Just a quick update on this.
I tuned the auto-return bolt. Also lubbed the whole mechanism.
Auto-return now works fine but the problem persists.
Will post again when I have another update.
andreantunes

Portugal

Postby Solist » 17 Jul 2018 11:51

Weird, just for the sake of it try without antiskate and after that disengage the auto-return. I would try and remove it completely if possible. Most of the time the mechanisms are designed in such a way that they dont make contact with the tonearm, but its worth a shot. After that the only thing that comes to my mind is that the tonearm bearings have a bad spot which causes the arm to have some resistance. Remove the headshell and try and move the tonearm over that spot by hand back and forward until your arm gets tired (try to move it at the same distance from the platter to simulate playing a record so that you are working on the actual spot in the bearings), this might Help to smooth any imperfection.
Solist

Slovenia

Postby andreantunes » 23 Jul 2018 14:22

Well, I oiled every single moving part of the tone arm.
Level is OK, measured in several spots of the TT.
The tracking force of my Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge is 1,8 grams.
But instead of setting the anti-skating device to 2 grams, I took the small weight of (setting the anti-skating to zero, basically). It improved a lot.
Now, on the last track, in loops 2 or 3 times on certain grooves in some records but keeps going by it itself until the end of the record. But it's definitely much better now.
I tested the tome arm spinning on a blank CD after balanced and it keeps on the same spot. It's not moving away from the spindle.
Thanks
andreantunes

Portugal

Return to Turntables and Tonearms