Newer Hanpin? turntables

snap, crackle and pop
eddiep

Newer Hanpin? turntables

Post by eddiep » 14 Jul 2018 00:52

I've read some pretty good reviews of such tables as the Denon V12, Reloop Turn 5, and of course the Pioneer PLX 1000 recently, among others from Audio Technica, Stanton, to name a few. Any consensus as to how these turntables match up in the total scheme of things?

eddie edirol
United States of America

Re: Newer Hanpin? turntables

Post by eddie edirol » 14 Jul 2018 02:03

You should do a search on Hanpin on this site, you will get a ton of results and opinions. The whole Hanpin discussion has been done to death and is good entertaining reading.

The hanpins measure up great for DJs and low budget listening , but I dont know about anything beyond that.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 14 Jul 2018 02:31

eddie edirol wrote:You should do a search on Hanpin on this site, you will get a ton of results and opinions. The whole Hanpin discussion has been done to death and is good entertaining reading.

The hanpins measure up great for DJs and low budget listening , but I dont know about anything beyond that.
I agree.
From what I've seen and garnered, the average quality levels are all over the map.
Unlike 60's to 80's units that were made with consistent quality controls.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 14 Jul 2018 11:42

The thing with these turbtables are that they are not the same turntable. The Reloop Turn 5 for example is a hi-fi oriented turntable with damped platter, stable plinth and without any DJ stuff, this is made for serious listening and probably the best hi-fi turntable made by Hanpin, it is designed by Reloop, a German company. Indeed, this table has got great reviews.

The Pioneer PLX-1000 has a similar price but is a DJ-table with DJ-stuff and festures. It has got great reviews in DJ magazines. The Denon is also a DJ-table, specially designed by Denon even if it’s made by Hanpin. I wouldn’t use a pro-DJ table for serious hifi-listening. They can handle big vibrations well, like people dancing. But their high-torque motors creates smaller vibrations and resonances that they aren’t built for to handle.

Hanpin makes a lots of turntables, for different brands and with different quality. Hanpin has both direct-drive and belt-drive systems to offer.

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 14 Jul 2018 14:12

raphaelmabo wrote:The Denon is also a DJ-table, specially designed by Denon even if it’s made by Hanpin.
Not sure the Denon VL12 is made by Hanpin.

I read here it is made by their competitor Yahorng, as is the similar Numark NTX1000.

https://djworx.com/review-denon-dj-vl12 ... turntable/

eddiep

Post by eddiep » 15 Jul 2018 18:22

Interesting responses! However, if you refer to the Stereophile [Herb Reichert] review of the Pioneer 1000 a couple of years ago, it does not preclude using the TT as a serious music listening device rather than dj. I've read many owners positive reviews also on several forums with no mention of only dj usage.

akimmet
United States of America

Post by akimmet » 15 Jul 2018 20:08

The VL12 isn't a hanpin, it uses a motor design more like the design of the SL-1200MK2 motor.

While I haven't played one yet, all of the owners I have talked to say the speed stability is dead on. Which is something that can't always be said about some Hanpin built turntables.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 16 Jul 2018 00:47

Regarding the DJ-tables: I know that many uses them as Hi-fi turntables and are happy with them, but I still say that a hi-fi turntable is better than a DJ one. The better DJ-tables has clockwork precision motors with perfect speed and pitch stability, this is of course good even for hi-fi listening. But the high-torque motors vibrates more and the platter is not damped enough. The turntables are made to handle big vibrations (people dancing) not smaller vibrations and resonaces that colours the sound. A deck that handles those smaller vibrations and resonances better will have a cleaner, clearer sound with more details and precision in sound.

I don’t say the Pioneer DJs etc sounds bad, they can be a satisfying Hi-fi listening experience for many people. I just say that a true hi-fi table is better.

The DD motors that Hanpin uses are clones of the Technics 1200’s.
I don’t know yet about the long term quality for the Reloop Turn 5 but reviews are stunning.
Last edited by raphaelmabo on 16 Jul 2018 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 16 Jul 2018 01:01

There is no consensus, just like with everything else hi-fi related.

I wouldn't buy one, because I don't have the patience to deal with QC issues. If you don't mind going through a few examples and hassling with the potential back and forth of all that, you might be okay.

I'm sticking with my vintage Japanese DD 'tables until I can buy a 1200GR.

eddiep

Post by eddiep » 16 Jul 2018 03:21

But of course the 1200 GR is $1000 more expensive than any of the aforementioned "DJ" turntables. Is it that much better than, say, the Reloop Turn 5, or for that matter, the PLX 1000?

akimmet
United States of America

Post by akimmet » 16 Jul 2018 03:48

raphaelmabo wrote: The DD motors that Hanpin uses are clones of the Technics 1200’s.
No they aren't, the mechanical design of the motor is very different. Just taking the platter off and looking at one is proof enough.

eddiep

Post by eddiep » 17 Jul 2018 01:55

I'm curious to learn if anyone uses any of the"DJ" turntables discussed above for home listening rather than DJ purposes.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 17 Jul 2018 10:47

DJ table vs hifi-table is like the automatic table vs manual. :)
The pro-DJ table Pioneer PLX-1000 and the hifi-turntable Reloop Turn 5 has a similar price, they are both direct drive and comes from the same factory but are designed with input from different design teams. With the Pioneer you get much more features, knobs and sliders and things you need to practice your DJ-skills. With the Reloop, you get none of that. All the DJ-stuff is stripped, instead money has went into dampening the plattern and the drive, reducing unwanted resonances and smaller vibrations not just big vibrations from the dance floor.

If we compare an automatic turntable with a manual turntable for the same money, the manual turntable will sound better, more clean and clear. All the electronics and extra mechanics in the automatic one degrades the sound because it means more things that can resonate. This doesn't mean the automatics can't be enjoyable, they can be very enjoyable, but the manual ones tops them for sound quality.

For turntables, less is more.
If you want and need a DJ-table, then buy one. If you have no plans for a career in DJ-ing, then I don't see the point of getting one. Why pay for things you don't need?

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 17 Jul 2018 14:48

eddiep wrote:Interesting responses! However, if you refer to the Stereophile [Herb Reichert] review of the Pioneer 1000 a couple of years ago, it does not preclude using the TT as a serious music listening device rather than dj. I've read many owners positive reviews also on several forums with no mention of only dj usage.
Herb often gushes about items that he reviews, then kinda changes his mind about some of them a few months later.

Just a word of caution - reviewers are only human. As such, one should take their advice with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Al

akimmet
United States of America

Post by akimmet » 17 Jul 2018 17:10

I suspect the reloop turn 5 isn’t as good as the reviews are stating. It appears to be a Hanpin OEM with the speed controls omitted.
While Hanpin turntables can be good, they do require a certain amount of work and luck to get there.