Tech says tonearm on SL-1700 sits too flat to platter?

snap, crackle and pop
Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: Tech says tonearm on SL-1700 sits too flat to platter?

Post by Spinner45 » 13 Jul 2018 05:55

jdjohn wrote:
Spinner45 wrote:
jdjohn wrote:If I recall correctly, you initially sent him the tt without a cartridge, and then he requested that you send a cartridge for setup. It makes me wonder if he re-balanced the tonearm and properly calibrated VTF after installing the cartridge. If you had the tt set up for your AT120E before sending, and then he installed the VM740ML, that cartridge is almost 2g heavier. If he didn't reset everything, that could be the problem. He might have assumed the weight of the cartridges were the same, and no re-calibration was necessary.
Did the VM740ML ride low for you at home?
If all that is the case, I'd question the competence of the tech in question.
Knowing such fundamental things as setting up cartridges is part of the job.
Indeed. We used to have a forum member here that insisted upon a 'qualified, professional, trained technician' do the work...as if us DIY 'putzers' were totally ignorant. Not all 'techs' are good.
If I were to rely on having something serviced, I would think the tech would be honest, and trained enough to do the job the right way, and yeah, some are not thorough, and just in it for the money.

Sleepwalker65
broken record

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 13 Jul 2018 12:27

Regarding the hum, the presence of the cartridge has no effect over it. If your SL-1700 is the mk2 that I have, the ground wire is attachched inside the gimbal end of the tonearm tube, and is essential to ensure hum is prevented. The SL-1700mk2 also has a mute circuit that consists of a pair of yellow shielded wires connected in parallel on the printed circuit board to where the tonearm wires and interconnect leads (“rca wires”) connect, going to a pair of micro switches that are closed during cuing operation. An open circuit in the ground path is likely the cause of the hum. It is very simple to test for this with a multimeter set to resistance measurement mode or with the continuity beep if it has one. First check the continuity of the ground lead to the tonearm tube. If that’s no good, check the continuity of the ground lead to the printed circuit board, then the continuity of the printed circuit board, and finally the continuity of the tonearm ground wire to the tonearm tube. While you’re at it, consider disconnecting the yellow mute switch wires all together at the printed circuit board, as it only adds capacitance, and does very little to enhance the listening experience.

hekkubus

Post by hekkubus » 13 Jul 2018 15:04

Sleepwalker65 wrote:Please do this community a favour and name this so-called turntable technician, so nobody else gets burned by him. By the way, which model of SL-1700 do you have - the mk1 or mk2? The SL-Q2 is nearly the turntable that the SL-1700mk2 is, except for the adjustable tonearm height. I’d say the SL-Q2 is a better model than the SL-1700mk1 though.
I have the mk I. I liked the adjustability of the tonearm, and it was only $150. Didn’t know it would be a real fixer upper.

Sleepwalker65
broken record

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 13 Jul 2018 15:37

I bet your mk1 wasn’t as badly abused as my mk2. I’ve replaced everything but the motor, spindle, platter, circuit boards, base, suspension and dustcover hinges. It was the victim of a “DJ”. Now it’s got 1200mk2 tonearm, feet and dustcover, and will soon have balanced interconnects (Belden Brilliance 1696A) with XLR connectors to maintain tonearm shielding all the way to the phono stage. It’s a labor of love, and a lot of fun!

hekkubus

Post by hekkubus » 13 Jul 2018 16:20

Sleepwalker65 wrote:I bet your mk1 wasn’t as badly abused as my mk2. I’ve replaced everything but the motor, spindle, platter, circuit boards, base, suspension and dustcover hinges. It was the victim of a “DJ”. Now it’s got 1200mk2 tonearm, feet and dustcover, and will soon have balanced interconnects (Belden Brilliance 1696A) with XLR connectors to maintain tonearm shielding all the way to the phono stage. It’s a labor of love, and a lot of fun!
So do you think it’s worth trying to salvage? I’m in $160 already and will possibly spend another $150 for cleaning and lubing, which I feel is too much.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 13 Jul 2018 16:30

Sleepwalker65 wrote:Regarding the hum, the presence of the cartridge has no effect over it.
Incorrect info.

Any phono stage that isn't "loaded" with a cartridge will hum, because its inputs are then wide open.
Hum is also heard if the signal wires are not fully conductive ("0" ohms).
Ground loops are another source of trouble, caused by not removing the strap from a cartridge mounted on a grounded metal headshell.

Sleepwalker65
broken record

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 13 Jul 2018 17:02

hekkubus wrote: So do you think it’s worth trying to salvage? I’m in $160 already and will possibly spend another $150 for cleaning and lubing, which I feel is too much.
That’s getting near the threshold of value for that old beast, but in the end if it’s in like-new shape, and more importantly it’s worth it to you, go for it! You will have a very rare and highly collectible heirloom turntable.

hekkubus

Post by hekkubus » 13 Jul 2018 18:45

Sleepwalker65 wrote:
hekkubus wrote: So do you think it’s worth trying to salvage? I’m in $160 already and will possibly spend another $150 for cleaning and lubing, which I feel is too much.
That’s getting near the threshold of value for that old beast, but in the end if it’s in like-new shape, and more importantly it’s worth it to you, go for it! You will have a very rare and highly collectible heirloom turntable.
It’s in good shape, and after cleaning it and replacing the RCA cables, I think It will be pretty good if it doesn’t hum or skip. After the tech gets it cleaned and hopefully greased in the right areas, it should be in good working shape. The more and more that I have messed with it, the more I appreciate my SL-Q2. The ONLY THING that I like about the 1700 is that the tonearm lift is in working condition. The SL-Q2 came with a broken tonearm rest, a broken cue lever, and no dust cover. I bought and replaced the tonearm rest on the Q2, but I couldn’t find a cuing lever to fix that. Honestly, if I had a cue lever, I wouldn’t use the 1700 and would probably sell it.

I’m kind of at a crossroads here bc I wanted to “upgrade” this summer to something more like the 1200, but I liked the auto return function of the 1700. I’d even considered getting the low-end VPI until I started looking at all the things that a vinyage technics TT does that some of the high-end TTs don’t do. Basically, I decided to go with the 1700 and move my Q2 to my secondary TT bc of a cuing lever...

Sleepwalker65
broken record

Post by Sleepwalker65 » 13 Jul 2018 23:36

Sounds like a “DJ” beat the crap out of your SL-Q2. It’s too bad, that people are too stupid they can’t treat nice things better. There’s a cuing lever from a SL-Q3 here: https://organdonorparts.com/Technics-SL ... P466-2.htm ... only $12... the Q3 is the same turntable, but fully automatic.

hekkubus

Post by hekkubus » 14 Jul 2018 00:09

Sleepwalker65 wrote:Sounds like a “DJ” beat the crap out of your SL-Q2. It’s too bad, that people are too stupid they can’t treat nice things better. There’s a cuing lever from a SL-Q3 here: https://organdonorparts.com/Technics-SL ... P466-2.htm ... only $12... the Q3 is the same turntable, but fully automatic.
Awesome! I didn’t know about this site. I’ve been searching all over EBay. Thanks! Purchased it immediately!

As for the SL-1700...

I just saw a video on technics 1200 that talks about bad bearings in the tonearm. I’d have to check when I get it back, but it sounds like this could potentially be the problem. My tonearm skipped before the start of the record’s first song and on every song at the exact same point. After I cleaned it, I noticed that the screw on top of the tonearm was loose. I tightened it, but hadn’t hooked it up at that point to test it. If it’s the whole tonearm assembly, can a 1200 be used to replace it? I know 1600/1700/1800 are all similar, but I haven’t seen the whole assembly for sale.

hekkubus

Post by hekkubus » 11 Aug 2018 20:21

Sleepwalker65 wrote:I agree, the so-called turntable tech is either lying to you and wants to sell you a new cartridge to replace a perfectly good, relatively high end cartridge, or he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Either way, cut your losses and get your gear back without them doing anything. You can do your own setup without much trouble.
After getting the 1700 back, the hum is still there, even though it’s not as bad in the new room I’ve set it up. I am kind of mad at myself for paying $150 for a cleaning that I basically already did before sending it off. They didn’t even change the rca cables out like I asked them to. I don’t think they charged me, but $150 to take four screws out and wipe up some grease was too much. That’s about 30 min of work tops!