What silly thing sent your TT out of whack?

snap, crackle and pop
2112adrian

What silly thing sent your TT out of whack?

Post by 2112adrian » 10 Jul 2018 09:31

Over the last few days my LP12 sounded , 'weak' and a little 'nervy' After an hour last night I found the culprit, the roller that allows the bias counterweight to move up and down had rotated by 180 deg and the counterweight was fouling the tube.

This really surprised me on how this did affect the sound , clearly the counterweight being out of position and fouling as it slid up the tube introduced unwanted friction and instability.

Anyone had similar minor issues that had a real negative impact?

Here is the counterweight in the correct position....
Attachments
arm.GIF
(167.03 KiB) Downloaded 349 times

justjed0001
United States of America

Re: What silly thing sent your TT out of whack?

Post by justjed0001 » 11 Jul 2018 02:57

Not sure if it qualifies, but here it is: I had to replace a 2M Blue stylus on a Pioneer PL-514 semi-auto because my cat jumped on the turntable while I was at work one day and jarred the tonearm off of the rest. Silly me had forgotten to lock the tonearm, and being semi-auto, tonearm movement starts the motor. So, with the platter turning, the outside edge of said platter, which has almost half an inch(1.7cm or so)of exposed aluminum(or aluminium, for our UK friends :wink: ), is where the stylus decided to land. Don't know how long it was running, but there is a nice, deep groove in it that wasn't there before, a reminder to check the little things!!

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 11 Jul 2018 05:18

My "favorite" - is getting a turntable off level -one set of shelves is predictably really flat - so all I've got to do is take a turntable last used on the other turntable shelving unit (which requires adjusting the feet on the turntables to get it level) and switch 'em (in either direction). I seem to be able to do this every three or four years and seek increasingly unlikely solutions to this really simple self created problem.

2112adrian

Post by 2112adrian » 11 Jul 2018 07:07

justjed0001 wrote:Not sure if it qualifies, but here it is: I had to replace a 2M Blue stylus on a Pioneer PL-514 semi-auto because my cat jumped on the turntable while I was at work one day and jarred the tonearm off of the rest. Silly me had forgotten to lock the tonearm, and being semi-auto, tonearm movement starts the motor. So, with the platter turning, the outside edge of said platter, which has almost half an inch(1.7cm or so)of exposed aluminum(or aluminium, for our UK friends :wink: ), is where the stylus decided to land. Don't know how long it was running, but there is a nice, deep groove in it that wasn't there before, a reminder to check the little things!!
Hi justjed , I guess it does, that’s a $100 problem courtesy of your cat. The PL514 has plenty of space on the top as it’s quite a minimalist design :) , nice deck! .

One of my unanswered questions is how did the roller on my Alphason arm rotate 180deg? I have two cats but do keep the lid down on my Linn, I have found one of the cats sat on my lid before now, :o however I do have ‘ very curious’ twin 11 year old girls ! Stylus damage is one of my biggest fears as I have a d17d3 mc cartridge, if the stylus gets damaged it’s a new cartridge or trade in at @$1000.

All the best

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 11 Jul 2018 13:46

Got home one day to find my cat sitting on top of my sl-1600. Luckily for me, the cat, and the turntable, the lid was in place, and no real damage was done.

2112adrian

Post by 2112adrian » 11 Jul 2018 14:14

I'm getting the vibe that if you have a cat you must have a turntable lid at all costs

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 11 Jul 2018 16:55

in general - I consider Dust Covers a VERY important accessory and will rarely even look at purchasing a turntable that doesn't have one. No Cats: although my Irish water spaniel would love having a personal cat to chase inside the house (Boy -would that be a bad idea!).

justjed0001
United States of America

Post by justjed0001 » 11 Jul 2018 23:07

The silly part is that the dust-cover WAS down!! And usually, the cat is much lighter on his feet!

The Blue Panther
Ireland

Post by The Blue Panther » 12 Jul 2018 10:32

I don't have any statistics but I reckon a high percentage of vinyl enthusiasts are also cat owners.
My cat has not yet jumped up on the turntable but after unpacking my new speakers recently, she was just about to test the scratching post qualities of the soft grille covers. Cats and Hi-fi are not an ideal combination !

2112adrian

Post by 2112adrian » 12 Jul 2018 11:15

Agreed , its a minefield , cats, kids, and trying to keep the cost of our vinyl habit a secret at home too!

I have a scratching post near my system which I regularly dose with Catnip, it does keep the cats more interested.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 12 Jul 2018 15:30

I've had two cats in my adult life : One named Moscow was less than a pleasure ( i wore cat scratches pretty regularly ,The other Prince Andrei Bogolupski was clearly channeling a Golden retriever in a cat's body - sweet wonderful cat who had his front claws ( went out pretty much everyday/night) and he had shredded most of the furniture in the house - he got out regularly simply because he would spray inside the house if he wasn't allowed into the great outdoors . OK - I know -dosen't sound all that great -but was great compared to a beast who would randomly attack you scratching and biting. So I've just set up my divorce speakers ( Magnipan Tympani IB's) first records on the turntable and I watch Bogo walk over to the speakers and begin a sniff inspection -until that moment -I hadn't thought about how he would use the 6 foot tall scratching posts I had just moved in - bellowed NOOOOO from my listening chair - he jumped about 4 feet in the air and ran out of the room. Never scratched or sprayed those speakers.