Switch cleaner / Rotel 1500

snap, crackle and pop
stevespinningrecords

Switch cleaner / Rotel 1500

Post by stevespinningrecords » 27 Jun 2018 11:11

Hi folks.

Reading an old locked thread that describes my issue pretty closely.

Rotel RP 1500, pitch is randomly dipping as if the motor is speeding up and slowing down. The thread I was reading suggested to clean the pitch controls with a switch cleaner and the guy came back saying that it worked for him....but there was no indication of how to clean. Is it a case of opening up the back and going at it from inside? Also, is there a type of switch cleaner I should be looking for.

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Switch cleaner / Rotel 1500

Post by musicmn » 27 Jun 2018 15:52

Hi Steve, I have never worked on a Rotel turntable but cleaning internal and external pitch controls is pretty straight forward. You will need to get inside the turntable and look for the Variable resistors (VR's) that are used to adjust the platter speed. Once you find them spray each one with Caig D5 deoxit (if you can locate this brand) or use a good substitute brand contact cleaner available in your area. Let the deoxit soak for a while on of the VR's. Then using a small screw driver turn each one gently back and forth a bunch of times and set it back to it's original position or as close as possible. Do the same thing with the external pitch controls but get the deoxit inside of each control using the straw that comes with the can. The best spot to get the deoxit inside of the potentiometer is where the wires solder onto it or if you see any slots on the housing use them. Turn the knob back and forth a bunch of times until the knob is turning smoothly and freely. You can repeat this action a couple of times to ensure the VR's and Pots are clean. If you have a can of compressed air blow out any excess deoxit from both the VR's and the Pitch pots and wipe up all excess as best as you can. Once this is done set the knob for the external pitch controls to center or again as close as possible. Then flip the turntable over leaving the bottom off and set it on some books so you can get to each VR easily. Now if your turntable has access holes to the 33/45 VR's under the platter or in the bottom then you can put the bottom on before you flip it over. Put the platter back on and start the turntable. Using a small screw driver adjust the 33 and 45 VR until the strobe pattern for each is standing still on the platter. Once that's done your are all set and hopefully this will Help to stabilize the platter speed. I've included a couple of pictures of commonly used VR's and external pitch controls. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Technics sl220 turntable 006 (Copy).JPG
Two small openings on right side of board marked 45 and 33.
(917.87 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Technics sl220 turntable 002 (Copy).JPG
same board flipped over to show and clean each VR. (common type)
(903.28 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Technics SL 1300 turntable 003 (Copy).JPG
External pitch controls being clean with dexoit. I was using a different brand at this time but Caig is the best IMO.
(945.11 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 27 Jun 2018 16:40

If you can't find deoxit, you'll find CRC contact cleaner at Lowes. Does the same.

stevespinningrecords

Post by stevespinningrecords » 27 Jun 2018 19:26

Excellent! Thanks, I'll do this weekend and let you guys know how it goes!

mwamsley

Post by mwamsley » 12 Jan 2019 04:08

stevespinningrecords wrote:
27 Jun 2018 19:26
Ive recently been having a look at my newly acquired Rotel RP1500 turntable, changing the stabilizing feet etc. Upon removing the bottom board/cover Ive noticed that there is 1 blue wire (of 3) with a circular mounting end that is not attached to anything, which i am wondering if might be an issue. I would appreciate any comments in this regard as well as direction to previously posted photos of the under side wiring as I am having trouble understand the schematic.

thanks in advance for your Help.
Attachments
thumbnail1.jpg
(127.29 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
thumbnail.jpg
(158.28 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
thumbnail (2).jpg
(125.06 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
thumbnail (1).jpg
(133.61 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 12 Jan 2019 04:23

mwamsley wrote:
12 Jan 2019 04:08
stevespinningrecords wrote:
27 Jun 2018 19:26
Ive recently been having a look at my newly acquired Rotel RP1500 turntable, changing the stabilizing feet etc. Upon removing the bottom board/cover Ive noticed that there is 1 blue wire (of 3) with a circular mounting end that is not attached to anything, which i am wondering if might be an issue. I would appreciate any comments in this regard as well as direction to previously posted photos of the under side wiring as I am having trouble understand the schematic.

thanks in advance for your Help.
That blue wire likely was fastened to a screw that holds the circuit board metal shield plate.
It's a ground wire.