the home of the turntable

Loose Tonearm?

snap, crackle and pop

Loose Tonearm?

Postby WinterCity » 19 Jun 2018 18:17

Hello, I have a Technics SL 1200 Mk2 that seems to have a problem with the tonearm. It seems to be able to “shift” whenever I turn it, like this: https://youtu.be/ShZLfsYzZHA. How do I fix this?
WinterCity

United States of America

Re: Loose Tonearm?

Postby aj1969 » 19 Jun 2018 21:47

Hi just looked at the video it appears the whole arm moves. if possible can we see the same again at the other end. a lot of arms have a small screw where the tube goes into the bearing end/ housing but is only accessed from under the arm. Could this be loose/ missing? Just a thought. Aj
aj1969

United Kingdom

Postby WinterCity » 19 Jun 2018 22:52

Hi, yes, the entire tonearm is loose, https://youtu.be/HqQbRaVMV7U, (it may be a bit hard to see), how should I go about tightening it? Which screw do I tighten and What’s the best way to access it? Thank you.
WinterCity

United States of America

Postby nat » 19 Jun 2018 22:56

The service manual is probably in the library, and will tell all. There also may be Youtube videos on the subject - I saw mention of one on a similar topic.
nat
long player
long player
contributor

Postby WinterCity » 20 Jun 2018 01:23

Hi, I took off my tonearm, should I adjust these screws?
Attachments
AE08C25A-C2D6-45E4-93BD-74D5B615EE67.jpeg
WinterCity

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 20 Jun 2018 01:45

If the arm wand is loose then it is those screws, otherwise it is the arm bearing, normally the top bearing is the one that breaks. See if you can find a replacement arm if bearing is damaged. Kabusa used to sell them but they are discontinued so you might have to shop around.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby WinterCity » 20 Jun 2018 03:53

Okay, so I took out the tonearm using the instructions from this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQK1FnHv9mo&t=55s, and then tightened the screws in order to secure the tonearm, I put everything back, ( I had to use electrical tape as a replacement for the tape that covers the wire connected to the pitch adjustment, as I had ripped it trying to get it free) everything on the tonearm side is secured. However, when I tested with a record only the middle and right channel were playing, I kept basically fulling around with the wires until miraculously it played every channel and so far I haven't had a problem yet in that regard. Also, the first time I played a record after doing this the 33 1/3 was changing in speed rapidly , this was before I started fulling around with the wires, and around the time I had fixed the channel issue the pitch changing issue had stopped but I worry that it will happen again. What could have caused this? Do you know if it could possibly happen again? Also, I tried testing the tonearm anti skate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq2Rk7_i6hQ and while it's still passable it seems like it got a little worse.

Edit: so after fooling around it looks like there may be a problem now with the wire for the left channel, the changing speed and anti skate don't really seem to be an issue, I'm just wondering what could be done for this. It's like, depending on the amount of tension or position of the left channel rca wire, it will work or not. It's working now and probably won't stop working until I mess with the wire again but I wanna see if there's a way to make it not a worry at all.
WinterCity

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 20 Jun 2018 05:35

Kabusa sells better quality replacement rca leads, likely yours have a break inside so worth replacing. Not sure about your pitch error, maybe you moved the pitch slider from central position working on the arm?
Make sure that headshell is level as if those screws are not in the correct position the headshell wont be level. I cut down a small screw driver, but you can but a rt angled ratchet type or you could grasp a screw driver bit with pliers to access the screws whilst the arm is on the turntable this is the easiest way to get arm level. I snug up the screws then move headshell till level, then tighten up screws.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby WinterCity » 20 Jun 2018 07:37

Maybe it’s the black clip that is put on the wires, could that occasionally hinder connection of one rca cable? (The pitch shift seems like something I shouldn’t worry about, it happened once but hasn’t happened since, prolly just a weird occurrence once I initially got it set up, will update if it happens again though)
WinterCity

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 20 Jun 2018 08:31

WinterCity wrote:Maybe it’s the black clip that is put on the wires, could that occasionally hinder connection of one rca cable? (The pitch shift seems like something I shouldn’t worry about, it happened once but hasn’t happened since, prolly just a weird occurrence once I initially got it set up, will update if it happens again though)

No it will almost certainly be a crack in a conductor in the cable. It is not hard to replace the cables, there is even a kit so you can use any rca cables.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby WinterCity » 20 Jun 2018 16:27

I think when the speed was being weird I actually had the pitch shift somehow perfectly between the 33 1/3 and about -.01 speed, and since the pitch shift admittedly needs to be calibrated, it was jutting back and forth between two noticeably different speeds.
WinterCity

United States of America

Postby WinterCity » 20 Jun 2018 16:40

cafe latte wrote:
WinterCity wrote:Maybe it’s the black clip that is put on the wires, could that occasionally hinder connection of one rca cable? (The pitch shift seems like something I shouldn’t worry about, it happened once but hasn’t happened since, prolly just a weird occurrence once I initially got it set up, will update if it happens again though)

No it will almost certainly be a crack in a conductor in the cable. It is not hard to replace the cables, there is even a kit so you can use any rca cables.
Chris

Yeah it seems to be a problem with the cable, what type of rca should I get in order to replace it?
WinterCity

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 21 Jun 2018 06:20

WinterCity wrote:
cafe latte wrote:

Chris

Yeah it seems to be a problem with the cable, what type of rca should I get in order to replace it?

If you go to Kabusa they sell the correct one for the Technics.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby WinterCity » 09 Jul 2018 21:58

It appears that the speed tends to shift from 33 to a little lower, after I put everything back. It looks like the calibration is so bad that it shifts a little even at 33. Is this even possible?
WinterCity

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms