JVC L-A21 parts under platter help

snap, crackle and pop
68bugboy

JVC L-A21 parts under platter help

Post by 68bugboy » 18 Jun 2018 19:01

IMG_1474.JPG
(96.67 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Just picked up a used JVC L-A21
Took off the platter and found these 2 gold parts laying loose.
Anyone know where they are supposed to go?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: JVC L-A21 parts under platter help

Post by musicmn » 18 Jun 2018 22:36

Hi, those metal pieces are called trip pawls and the go on top of the white cam gear. They fit on top of each other and pivot on one of the pins on the cam. Usually there is a white plastic doughnut type piece that hold them onto the pin. This doughnut piece breaks over time that's why they are loose inside the turntable. Go to the library on this site and down load the service manual for the JVC JL-A20. Your machine and the JL-A20 are almost identical. Go to page 10 in the manual and look at Exploded view of parts (4) you can see in which order the trip pawls go on the Cam gear and the pin they fit over. The only thing you will need to do is find something that fits over the pin to hold the trip pawls in place. In the past when I find this on a turntable I am working on I take the cam gear to a local hard ware store and by some Star washers that fit over the pin. Just make sure that what ever you use to hold the trip pawls in place is not pushed down onto them to tight. The pawls must move freely or the tonearm will not advance far enough in the lead out area of a record to trip the auto return. Before you install the trip pawls clean them and the area where the ride on the cam gear with some alcohol on a rag to clean off any old grease, dust, dirt ect. Do not lubricate them they work better when left dry. I hope this helps.

68bugboy

Post by 68bugboy » 19 Jun 2018 04:32

Perfect!
All is well again and the auto return is now working correctly.

Thanks for the help

discountfoiegras
Andorra

Post by discountfoiegras » 15 Jun 2019 15:43

How did you remove the platter dude?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 16 Jun 2019 01:07

Hi, to remove the platter lift it using the fingers holes and tap the spindle at the same time with the handle of a screw driver it should pop off. On JVC turntables the platter can become very stuck from age. If your platter is really stuck then put a little penetrating spray on the area where the spindle and platter meet. Then using a soldering iron, soldering gun, or heat gun warm the spindle. Then pull on the platter and tap spindle while it's still warm hope fully this will help you to get it off. You may need to do this a couple of times to get the platter off if it's really stuck. There is nothing holding the platter to the spindle it's just a tapper fit. But because the platter is white metal and the spindle is chrome you have dissimilar metals and this causes corrosion between the two. I hope this helps