the home of the turntable

16" cork / rubber slipmat vendor?

snap, crackle and pop

16" cork / rubber slipmat vendor?

Postby Splatrecords » 18 Jun 2018 15:17

image.jpeg
Hello, this is my first post here. Thank you for letting me in! I am looking for a source for 16 inch turntable slip mats . I need one for me and one for a friend. A combination of cork and rubber is preferred, but I think we're going to have to settle for anything that's out there perhaps, because my search has so far turned up nothing!

Thanks!
Danny
Splatrecords

United States of America

Re: 16" cork / rubber slipmat vendor?

Postby analogaudio » 18 Jun 2018 16:50

welcome to VE

If you are good with hand tools you can make your own, the materials can be found here www.mcmaster.com
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Splatrecords » 18 Jun 2018 16:55

Thanks for the welcome!

As far as I can tell, they have sheets that are only 12" wide.

Danny
Splatrecords

United States of America

Postby josephazannieri » 18 Jun 2018 17:20

yo Splatrecords:

Here is my suggestion. Go to JoAnn Fabrics and buy a yard or two of the thickest black (or grey)felt that they will sell you. It should not be expensive. Cut out a section big enough to cover your turntable and cut a small hole in the center Put the piece on the turntable and mark the circle by spinning the turntable. You will probably have a surplus. You may need to buy a set of Fiskars sewing shears, because you will need a sharp pair of scissors to get a nice circle.

I have done this with turntables that do not have a mat. I am not connected with JoAnn Fabrics, but, since I lack the Number One Household Appliance (a woman), I visit them often for the things I need to maintain my wardrobe.

And good luck from that crusty old bachelor,

Joe Z.
josephazannieri
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Splatrecords » 18 Jun 2018 17:22

Thanks Joe!

If I go with felt, though, it'd be green like RCA used to use!

Danny
Splatrecords

United States of America

Postby tlscapital » 18 Jun 2018 20:00

Splatrecords wrote:Thanks Joe!

If I go with felt, though, it'd be green like RCA used to use!

Danny

You'd be much better off with the rubber/cork mix kind of thing. Felt is easy to cut and cheap to buy but most in direct comparison tend to really favor either cork, leather, sorbothane/elastomer and rubber.

To find a sheet of cork or leather should prove a tad more expensive than felt but about as easy to cut neatly to size. The leather surface is a surprisingly soft enough material to lay records on and off carefree.
tlscapital
long player
long player

Belgium

Postby KentT » 19 Jun 2018 13:48

Green Felt is what RCA Broadcast used when this classic was new.
KentT
long player
long player

Postby Copperhead » 19 Jun 2018 14:16

Splatrecords wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

As far as I can tell, they have sheets that are only 12" wide.

Danny

Look for some pond liner and cut a mat out of that.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby euclid » 22 Jun 2018 04:18

If you want to "slip cue" records, use felt and glue it to the platter. Many old broadcast turntables had felt mats for slip cuing. Many of the replacement mats came with the sticky layer on the bottom. It was covered with an easily removed sheet of paper. Many of these mats were about one millimeter thick.

If you do not want to "slip cue" you may use felt, rubber, or cork. Rubber and cork are not good for slip cuing.

One function of the mat is to dampen resonances in the platter. My Empire 208 turntables ring like a bell if I remove the mat and excite them with a quick flick of my finger on the rim. With the mat on, I just get a dull thunk.

PS
Those are great, old, broadcast turntables. They are built like tanks! They are probably 50 or 60 years old. Be sure to oil the motoers and fill the well under the platter with an excellent oil such as turbine oil or gun oil. Avoid synthetics unless you can remove all of the old oil. Unfortunately those tonearms were built for low compliance, high tracking force, mono cartridges such as the GE VRII.
euclid

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms