Dual 1019 turntable Help.

snap, crackle and pop
Hockeypuck

Dual 1019 turntable Help.

Post by Hockeypuck » 14 Jun 2018 14:41

Newbie here. First off this site is already been huge for me. Downloaded the manuals already.

So I Finally picked up a record console (free from craiglsit!) that has a Dual 1019. It did not work when I picked it up. Turns out the wires to the RCA input came off and the mute gear was stuck. After some soldering and lubing it all worked somewhat. I was getting bouncy left channel, volume would go in and out. So I rewired the tonearm with some cat 5e cables (probably too thick 28gauge) but I also soldered directly to the cartridge, by passing the old connections that were junk. This is all just temporary and wanted to just make sure I it all worked. Well after the rewire it sounded fantastic. But I have problems.

I'm ordering a new cartridge / stylus / needle any suggestions? (i'm still confused on what is called what)

Some Pictures

My Couple questions:

1. Sometimes to get sound I have to tap the record player (Using a crappy record so dont worry) and then the sound works. Could this be the cartridge being bad?

2. Since the rewire of the tone arm it is way off balance. It swings back towards the stand when trying to go down. I put the back weight on all the way forward but still swung. I put some coins on the head to balance and it worked better. Are my wires maybe binding it up?

3. I replaced the RCA cables because there was a hum. I used some really thick ones I had laying around. If I touch them I get some feedback. I see some RCA have grounds with them or am I just an idiot?

4. While the sound out of the console is good, I get crackling at the needle (not out the speakers)? Is that bad needle, bad cartridge or maybe too much pressure??

Anything you guys can offer would be awesome. Again this was all done as a proof of concept before I pulled the whole thing apart to really make it work correctly.

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: Dual 1019 turntable Help.

Post by rewfew » 14 Jun 2018 16:11

Is that a broken wire in the picture underneath the table? Follow back from the interconnect and the tab where the two black wires that are under the brass colored clip. Did you set VTF and anti-skating?

Hockeypuck

Post by Hockeypuck » 14 Jun 2018 16:36

Yes the wire was broke. I ran new wires through the tonearm because I didnt trust the wires at all. I set the VTF and Antiskating before the rewire and it was well balanced but shaky sound. After the rewire it sounds better but its just way out of balance. Im thinking the 4 wires I used are bundled in the pivot point of the tonearm and are pulling on it.

Ordering some actual tonearm wire. For now I will try maybe feeding the wires up a bit more to give them more slack in the tonearm.

circularvibes

Post by circularvibes » 14 Jun 2018 16:54

Did you solder the wires directly onto the cartridge, or did you use the clips that came with it? If you soldered directly to the cartridge, you have destroyed your cartridge by unsoldering/melting the internal connections.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 14 Jun 2018 17:56

Hockeypuck wrote:Yes the wire was broke. I ran new wires through the tonearm because I didnt trust the wires at all. I set the VTF and Antiskating before the rewire and it was well balanced but shaky sound. After the rewire it sounds better but its just way out of balance. Im thinking the 4 wires I used are bundled in the pivot point of the tonearm and are pulling on it.

Ordering some actual tonearm wire. For now I will try maybe feeding the wires up a bit more to give them more slack in the tonearm.
Why not research thoroughly what is the proper procedure for servicing, instead of butchering up a nice old Sylvania console stereo?

Hockeypuck

Post by Hockeypuck » 14 Jun 2018 18:23

circularvibes wrote:Did you solder the wires directly onto the cartridge, or did you use the clips that came with it? If you soldered directly to the cartridge, you have destroyed your cartridge by unsoldering/melting the internal connections.
I did use the clips that were on the wires.
Last edited by Hockeypuck on 14 Jun 2018 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

Hockeypuck

Post by Hockeypuck » 14 Jun 2018 18:24

Spinner45 wrote:
Hockeypuck wrote:Yes the wire was broke. I ran new wires through the tonearm because I didnt trust the wires at all. I set the VTF and Antiskating before the rewire and it was well balanced but shaky sound. After the rewire it sounds better but its just way out of balance. Im thinking the 4 wires I used are bundled in the pivot point of the tonearm and are pulling on it.

Why not research thoroughly what is the proper procedure for servicing, instead of butchering up a nice old Sylvania console stereo?
Because when I got it the guy told me the record player did not work. Why spend money and time if its broke beyond repair. I rigged it to see if I could get sound and did no damage at all to it. Since I now know that it works I will properly do a refurb on the entire unit.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 15 Jun 2018 02:02

Hockeypuck wrote:So I rewired the tonearm with some cat 5e cables (probably too thick 28gauge)
2. Since the rewire of the tone arm it is way off balance. It swings back towards the stand when trying to go down. I put the back weight on all the way forward but still swung. I put some coins on the head to balance and it worked better. Are my wires maybe binding it up?
The Cat5 is too stiff and binding the arm.

The sound issue could be due to soldering directly on the cartridge pins causing damage to its coils.

Hockeypuck

Post by Hockeypuck » 15 Jun 2018 19:14

Copperhead wrote:
The Cat5 is too stiff and binding the arm.

The sound issue could be due to soldering directly on the cartridge pins causing damage to its coils.
Had a feeling it would be too thick. It was definitely binding the arm up. Ordering some real tone arm wire. I did not solder directly to the cartridge, I reused the clips that were there but I by passed the other connection between the tone arm and head. (if that makes sense).