the home of the turntable

Vinyl Beginner - Help

snap, crackle and pop

Vinyl Beginner - Help

Postby TheLady27 » 13 Jun 2018 15:53

Hey guys! I just moved to the south, took a trip to Nashville and told my husband i'd listen to country if 1) we start from the beginning with the classics 2) we listen only on vinyl. So, i'm looking to buy my first record player and am looking for your suggestions. I don't want something that is going to destroy the vinyl, but I also don't want to spend $$$$. I do want something with a speaker.

Any Help is much appreciated!! THANK YOU!
TheLady27

United States of America

Re: Vinyl Beginner - Help

Postby Copperhead » 13 Jun 2018 16:09

[quote="TheLady27" I do want something with a speaker.

Any Help is much appreciated!! THANK YOU![/quote]

Unfortunately most turntables with an integrated loudspeakers will probably be the type that destroys your records. You might have to buy an amplifier and loudspeakers as well as the turntable itself. In the long run it will be better.

You can get all three for less than you think, just a matter of being a bit patient after you work out how much you are willing to spend.
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Slavikcc » 13 Jun 2018 16:09

How much are you willing to spend? New or used equipment?

Be sure to avoid the terribad players from Crosley, Jensen, ION, 1byone, Boytone, etc. Also avoid the Audio Technica LP60, Sony PS-LX300, Denon DP-29F due to being very poor quality overall with skipping, speed problems, etc.
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby TheLady27 » 13 Jun 2018 16:21

Hmm..Let's max out at $150. I don't need AMAZING sound, but I also want quality sound. Let's be honest, I don't thing Patsy Kline has a lot of base in the background and Johnny Cash wasn't worried about the double bass.

I'd prefer new, just because i don't want to risk buying a used piece of equipment that doesn't work.
TheLady27

United States of America

Postby Slavikcc » 13 Jun 2018 16:36

TheLady27 wrote:Hmm..Let's max out at $150. I don't need AMAZING sound, but I also want quality sound. Let's be honest, I don't thing Patsy Kline has a lot of base in the background and Johnny Cash wasn't worried about the double bass.

I'd prefer new, just because i don't want to risk buying a used piece of equipment that doesn't work.

For something up to $150, I'm afraid you won't be very far for all new equipment that are non-junk status, including speakers and amplifier with PHONO inputs. For just a turntable alone, the closest is the U-Turn Orbit Basic for $179 USD. Do you own any speakers and/or an amplifier/receiver with PHONO inputs already?

For $150, I would still look into the used market through your local Craigslist page.
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby kmp14 » 13 Jun 2018 16:45

As mentioned, stay away from anything with built-in speakers as they are all junk.

There is a a pretty nice starter set with a Pro-Ject turntable and Klipsch speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-15PM-P ... B01FN28H2W

Way over your budget, but I bet that would be a very nice starter+ system.
kmp14
contributor

United States of America

Postby rewfew » 13 Jun 2018 16:49

I concur. Sorry, but your going to be severely limited with any semblance of passable sound that won't compromise those very records you mentioned. Unless you go for some used equipment. You opened Pandora's box with the vinyl requirement. If your close to a small to mid sized metropolitan area with record shop's, many sell used equipment. And there's craigslist, which many here have a lot of experience what a good choice is if you say what area your near.
rewfew

Postby TheLady27 » 13 Jun 2018 17:07

I'm near Birmingham, Alabama. I guess I'll stop by the record shop in town and see what my options I have. There's also a bunch of antique shops in town, so I will rummage through them this weekend.

I figured this would be more of an investment than I wanted. My main purpose is to have this in my dining area and listen during dinners, so I don't really need it to be loud, but I guess I could invest in speakers.

Thanks for all the Help
TheLady27

United States of America

Postby Spinner45 » 13 Jun 2018 17:08

TheLady27 wrote:Hmm..Let's max out at $150. I don't need AMAZING sound, but I also want quality sound. Let's be honest, I don't thing Patsy Kline has a lot of base in the background and Johnny Cash wasn't worried about the double bass.

Hmm.. $150 will get you nothing of quality.
Maybe if it was the year 1961, but this is 2018.
And Patsy Cline's recordings do have plenty of bass.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby kmp14 » 13 Jun 2018 17:17

...Pandora's box is definitely open. Keep in mind that, regardless of what turntable you choose, you have to make sure your records are CLEAN! When I first got back into this hobby, I bought my first turntable, and excitedly played my first record. I had "dusted" it off, but about half way through side 1, it sounded AWFUL. So much dust had been grabbed up by the stylus that it was not even riding properly in the groove! I did not realize how much there was to cleaning. Consider a Spin Clean record cleaner at minimal, ESPECIALLY if you will be buying used vinyl.
kmp14
contributor

United States of America

Postby TheLady27 » 13 Jun 2018 17:22

kmp14 wrote:... Consider a Spin Clean record cleaner at minimal, ESPECIALLY if you will be buying used vinyl.

Oh, Pandora! Cleaning Kit. GOT IT!!
TheLady27

United States of America

Postby Copperhead » 13 Jun 2018 17:27

TheLady27 wrote: I figured this would be more of an investment than I wanted. My main purpose is to have this in my dining area and listen during dinners, so I don't really need it to be loud, but I guess I could invest in speakers.

Thanks for all the Help

At least you know know it's 2018, as Spinner kindly informed us all of.

Having a separate loudspeaker set is more to do with quality rather than loudness, a speaker in the same box as the turntable would probably make it vibrate.

Have a look at all in ones like Hitachi or Sanyo, they have separate speakers, can be bought for little and some are pretty decent. Definitely better than anything new with a speaker in it.

The type of one sold in this auction would do you perfectly, some are cheaply made but others quite good.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/fr-fr/auct ... 4900f5d8a7
Copperhead
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby rewfew » 13 Jun 2018 17:52

TheLady27 wrote:I figured this would be more of an investment than I wanted. My main purpose is to have this in my dining area and listen during dinners, so I don't really need it to be loud, but I guess I could invest in speakers.

You sure you just don't want a c.d. boom box player? That is, during dinner getting up, putting the record on, getting up, changing sides. Sounds like you just want soft background music. I don't know if all this fuss is worth it for eat'n vittles and having conversation. Any who, here's a craigslist ad for someone cleaning out the garage he says, in Huntsville. Looks like some decent stuff there worth bartering on.
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/ele/d ... 62010.html
rewfew

Postby scrapjack+ » 13 Jun 2018 19:42

Built in speakers isn't common on decent modern equipment, maybe some vintage record players, as apposed to turntables, and of course the cabinet models. There are small (slightly larger than a vhs tape) audio amplifies with preamps, that could output to small cd player type speakers you may have already or giant floor standers, though that doesn't sound like what you want. Do check reviews on amazon.

Are you at all interested in playing 78Rpm? My grandfather has allot of country from his on 78Rpm, such as Tennessee Ernie ford, some of it may be on 33/45, allot didn't get transferred as the genre changed just like allot music didn't make it from 33RPM to CD. Anyway I've found the desire to play 78RPM rather limits the options as far as new players are concerned. They are available but not near as many, so suggestions may be easier as options are fewer(if you insist on new).

If you can spot one at a yard sale or if thrift shops have decent prices on components in your area, you may check that out, I picked my player up from a yard sale for about $25, I later found that it seems to sell for about $120 on eBay, check the yard sales. Working with a small budget, I'd ask that you check your surround sound system, if you have one, mine has a phono input, so it can serve as the amp for my turntable, perhaps you'res does as well.

Dinner music you say? That's what 16RPM was for, not that I or likely anyone else will recommend that due to low audio quality and strange/rare parts, and limited selection.
If you're wanting somewhat continuous music you may look into a older record changer (don't know of any modern examples), they have a spindle that drops the next record on the stack when the previous is played, they were especially common with 45RPM. From what I hear the properties are quite large and land is cheap in the south, at least compared to the west coast, so if you have the room, a cabinet type record player may be exactly what you're looking for, and most don't want them because of how much room they take so they tend to show up for sale cheap, however they provided space for storing records, some had decent players built in, tended to be record changers, also they had a radio, and built in speaker(s). Some are very nice looking, and they tend to be 4-speed so they can play just about any record you can find. I've seen some selling for $30, if you can find one locally to avoid the shipping fees, it sounds like what you may be looking for. They also tend to have ceramic flip over needles which are convenient if you have allot of 78rpm as well as 33, however I've read that many of them can be refitted a newer magnetic cartridge as more or less drop in replacements to improve the sound, not that I've heard a cabinet with sound so bad as to insist on finding a way to improve it. You can always use a mp3 player fm transmitter for a car to make any cabinet table become a giant wireless speaker for a phone/other, I only bring this side note up as some look to junk them thinking they are only good for playing records.

One thing to consider with an old player however is that idler wheels on idler drive tables can wear out and I've seen some replacements at the $100 range, so check if it's an idler drive and like any belt or idler drive table if the typical maintenance parts are readily available. Some idler drives were especially bad but like anything there were good and bad models. As far as newer stuff, make sure whatever you consider does not have the pfanstiehl p-188 cartridge which is what the crossly and it's army of clones use, their arms make it onto non-clones occasionally as well.
Perhaps if you can find a used crosley type that properly maintains speed, you could spend about $30 to get a decent modern tone arm for it, again using cd type portable speakers, or put said modern arm on a cabinet table, as the removable universal head shells would make some old cabinets vastly easier to replace needles in, although you would likely loose the record changer functionality on the cabinet.

respectfully
Scrapjack+
scrapjack+

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 14 Jun 2018 05:26

Well, since no one did their homework :wink:, here is what's for sale in your area...$100 or less I might add...

https://bham.craigslist.org/ele/d/akai- ... 48499.html
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/ele/d ... 46061.html
https://montgomery.craigslist.org/ele/d ... 97423.html

Since you want to stick to classic country (and I KNOW my classic country!), maybe something like this one is in order...

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/ele/d ... 16920.html

Our own member Wolfie62 is from your neck of the woods, so maybe he has some more tips...You could always send him a private message (PM)...

Just to be thorough, I did check EBay and found this guy in Birmingham...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-1229Q-Vin ... SwdfZbHDzf

It's gonna need some work, but it's a quality table!

Also...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Realistic-LAB- ... Swp41bHDq7

If you really wanted a project, I'm sure the old records would sound fine on one of these vintage beauties...

https://bham.craigslist.org/clt/d/1958- ... 77777.html

The console will need work and someone would have to be up for a project, but there's a guy in my neck of the woods...Gary@thevoiceofmusic.com who SPECIALIZES in these V-O-M players...He gets a lot of love here on VE, for sure! 8) =D>

Anyhoo, hopefully, something there will Help...As mentioned earlier, if you DO go new, stay away from Crosley and their ilk...U-Turn, Pro-Ject, Rega, etc. should be the names you're looking at...Of course, OTOH, if you do find a vintage player and would rather have someone else do the work, check out Tom's Sound here...

http://www.tomssound.com/services.html

They also SELL working used turntables!

http://www.tomssound.com/vintagehomestereo.html
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Return to Turntables and Tonearms