Nicotine, anyone?

snap, crackle and pop
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Nicotine, anyone?

Post by Japi Roelofs » 10 Jun 2018 16:10

Today I picked up an NEC AUP-8300E turntable, for the amount of € 15. Yes, this should be in the Dumpster Diver Thread... :D
It's a Japanese full automatic Quartz lock player from ~ 1979. There was little wrong with it: speed was dead on with Quartz lock engaged, but a little wavy when off, so speed pots need to be cleaned. All auto functions work. I put in a fresh stylus, hooked it up and boom! Great sound and silent operation.

But boy was it dirty! I've seen dirty turntables before, but not quite like this. It was covered in a thick layer of nicotine. The guy I bought it from said: I think the previous owner was a smoker. =D>
My guess is the whole family smoked, and the dog too....
There is only one remedy for this: Dasty. This is a cleaner/degreaser, really nasty stuff, don't leave it on too long or it will eat away the lettering.

Here's some pics. I'll post more when I'm finished cleaning it.
NEC AUP-8300E pic 1.jpg
(333.07 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
NEC AUP-8300E pic 2.jpg
(254.58 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
NEC AUP-8300E pic 3.jpg
(415.07 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
NEC AUP-8300E pic 4.jpg
(353.73 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
NEC AUP-8300E pic 5.jpg
(510.9 KiB) Downloaded 537 times

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Nicotine, anyone?

Post by Tinkaroo » 10 Jun 2018 16:36

I remember my sister bought a house and we needed to repaint the kitchen walls. We washed the walls first and ended up with dark brown water from all of the tobacco smoke.

Just imagine what it does to the lungs too! #-o

Otherwise It looks like a good find and you you are doing a great job at cleaning it up. =D>

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 10 Jun 2018 21:27

I usually forget to take the 'before' pics, and only think about taking pics 'after' the unit has been cleaned and put in working order. I should have taken a pic of the dust cover before, during and after the Dasty treatment. Puddles of brown fluid dripping off the cover, making it go from a 'bronze' look to being totally clear as glass.

Really disgusting, but then again who am I to say this... I'm a smoker myself #-o

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 11 Jun 2018 02:08

I was a smoker until 2011 when Cancer surgery took away the ability and any desire to continue smoking. I now breathe through a hole in my neck and am unable to speak.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Jun 2018 05:14

Where do you buy the Dasty, Japi? I'd love to know all of your tips getting rid of the nicotine layer and/or odors on turntables and receivers...My first job was helping an older neighbor out with chores around the house (gardening, lawn mowing, cleaning, etc.)...I remember he used to sit in the same easy chair all the time and smoke a pipe...Did so for many years! He rolled his own cigarettes, too...One day, he was talking about re-painting the house for eventual resale...The first thing I told him to do is paint the spot directly above his chair, as there was this yellow ring there due to years and years of smoke discoloring and cracking the paint...I'd never seen a white ceiling THAT yellow in my life! :shock:

A lesson for those of you who smoke indoors...Consider the repainting job you may have to do once your walls have all turned yellow and brown... :-k

If you ever want to sell your house down the road, it's an absolute must to keep in mind...

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 11 Jun 2018 07:18

More than 40 years ago my daughter aspirated a screw when she was a pre-schooler. The thoracic surgeon who removed the screw came out after the procedure to report success lit up a cigarette as he was talking to us. I was blown away to see someone who looks into the lungs of people doing that.

Phil

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 11 Jun 2018 12:40

@ JoeE SP9: I'm sorry to hear that. I know I really should quit, it's such a nasty habit. I did try to quit a couple of years ago, when my father died of lung cancer. It really is a horrible addiction, and a hard one to beat too...

@ VM: I'm not sure Dasty is available in the US. Here in Holland there's only one chain of stores that sells it. According to the info on the bottle it's made in Italy. http://www.dastyitaly.it/en/home.asp
Dasty bottle.jpg
(342.18 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
It's real hardcore stuff. You won't believe the power with which it dissolves grime and grease.
Check out the headshell:
headshell before Dasty.jpg
(338.04 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
headshell during Dasty.jpg
(283.35 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
headshell after Dasty.jpg
(320.87 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
headshell clean.jpg
(275.58 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

shawnwes

Post by shawnwes » 11 Jun 2018 13:34

I purchased a tt and speakers from a heavy smoker and took a few cleanings to get the smell out. It wasn't grimy as your pics show but I never was able to get it out of the rubber tt mat completely though. Gear was in mint condition otherwise. Sold the tt on.

He was trying to smell his mobile home. I can't imagine anyone purchasing it who wasn't into smoking indoors themselves.

afs97cjh

Post by afs97cjh » 11 Jun 2018 13:56

Nicotine is white, more adictive than heroine and more toxic than cyanide (arguably, it's difficult to find LD50 data on humans) but not in itself carcinogenic. What you're looking at is Tar, now that does contain carcinogens and leaves stains on the walls.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 11 Jun 2018 14:46

Japi Roelofs wrote:@ JoeE SP9: I'm sorry to hear that. I know I really should quit, it's such a nasty habit. I did try to quit a couple of years ago, when my father died of lung cancer. It really is a horrible addiction, and a hard one to beat too...
Horrible disease, cancer, sorry to hear that too, Joe. Thread is a sobering thought.

Japi, I have always used washing up liquid. It too seems to melt the staining, except that it won't affect the decals and costs next to nothing.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 11 Jun 2018 15:20

VM, you might try Greased Lightning here in the states.
418lxib0mAL.jpg
(24.04 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
I've never had to use it for tobacco stains, but I think it would work well for that. It's not too hard to find in retail stores.

tom6to1
Canada

Post by tom6to1 » 11 Jun 2018 16:04

I also obtained a turntable (Sansui belt drive - SR-B200s) that spent much time around smokers. I recall using nothing more than household cleaners - dish soap and maybe Fantastik - to get the tarry gunk off. Quite a mess until cleaned.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 11 Jun 2018 16:15

Copperhead wrote:Japi, I have always used washing up liquid. It too seems to melt the staining, except that it won't affect the decals and costs next to nothing.
Yep, that's what I normally use, but with stains like these it just doesn't cut it.

@ afs97cjh: of course, that makes perfect sense, and I suppose I knew this but wasn't thinking straight...

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 12 Jun 2018 11:53

Dishwashing liquid is very effective. I use it t clean my hands after fixing the bicycle. One of the most effective cleaners out there. I am a smoker but smoke outside, I reckon dishwashing liquid would work.

DS

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 12 Jun 2018 15:01

Finished cleaning. It looks a lot better now!
NEC AUP-8300E clean.jpg
(306 KiB) Downloaded 250 times